AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 04-11-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
If you decide you you need to go with the QS preamp let me know. May have an opening in my system for an SLP-98 and don't care about color.
A buddy now has a month on the new Quicksilver Linestage preamp. Absolutely loves it paired with new QS Mid Monos. Smaller footprint he needed, and works really well with his 97db speakers. He's put the larger higher $ higher power Margules tube amp and preamp up for sale now. As a result, a colleague just ordered the QS Linestage and the Mono 60s too. While I'm keeping the 98, happy for them both. Mono 120s are sweet.

Sitting here listening to the QS Mono 120s now with plenty of burn-in on the amps, vintage Mullard input tubes, caps, paired with Analysis Plus Crystal interconnects, wow. Larger and deeper soundstage now than I ever had with any of my Cary or Inspire amps. Plenty of top end, robust bottom end, midrange is very nice, very smooth and musical. Can listen for ten hours and never get fatigued. Hearing things in old familiar 70s tracks I've never heard before. Nice surprise.

Last edited by decooney; 04-11-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:04 PM

I wanted to ask those who have the Line Stage Preamp: Have you done any mods or tweaks to it? Power cord/Fuse?etc?

Just curious as I have one and really like it (my first piece of tube gear) and wonder what others may be doing.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:25 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Heheh. Thanks FYB2! Yeah, its funny I sold my two former Cary amps and both buyers wanted the 98. I just can't seem to part with it. Outboard transformer, two pre-outs, excellent volume upgrade, nice remote control, super nice 6SN7s, Jensen Oil caps, its super hard to beat sound wise and esthetically. The QS pre is nice to try, but I love 6SN7s so it will likely be my last tube pre for a long time.
They come up every once in a while 2nd hand, in fact I may know of one a buddy has, I'll ask him too and send you a msg if he wants to part with it, he has 2 of them.
Cary called yesterday let me know they just took in an almost new SLP-98P on trade and offered a deal I could live with. Supposed to arrive on Sat p.m. Will post pic's in the Cary forum. Like you, am a 6SN7 fan.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-23-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Cary called yesterday let me know they just took in an almost new SLP-98P on trade and offered a deal I could live with. Supposed to arrive on Sat p.m. Will post pic's in the Cary forum. Like you, am a 6SN7 fan.
"Sweet" Little Preamp - SLP!

Congrats. Sure like mine. It's been mated very well with my current Quicksilver Mono 120 amps, former Cary V12R amp, and former Cary SA-200.2 solid state amp.

Like the huge outboard transformer too. In addition to updated coupling caps, you can change the soundstage / tone / texture with vintage, or re-issue, or new production specialty 6SN7 tubes. +remote control and DUAL Pre-Outs, it's kinda hard to beat for the sound quality. Enjoy.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:37 PM

PSVANE small signal tubes in QS amplifiers and preamplifiers -

Just for grins - rolled out my best vintage mid 1960s Mullard Blackburn tubes and replaced them with some of the latest versions of the PSVANE 12AU7-T MKII and 12AT7-T MKII psuedo Treasure version small signal and driver tubes.

At first thought they would just be good for general playing when I wanted to save my vintage tubes. Now I can't seem to go back to the great vintage Mullard Blackburn tube and stay there. Back to the PSVANE again and staying there after 80-100hrs burn in. After 100hrs there is an added 3rd order harmonic and overall nice tone that presents itself in the QS amps.

A little more gain, slightly fuller and more present midrange, and a wee bit of added texture and detail I never would have expected against the Mullards these replaced are true NOS+ triode matched tubes, tested on a really good curve tracer test unit. Definitely a top level challenger on both counts. Go figure...like what I'm hearing, brings the QS mono amps to another level in my rig. Way better than any of the stock JJ or EI tubes were too edgy and dry in comparison. FYI, YMMV.

Last edited by decooney; 07-18-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:42 PM

I just bought a Quicksilver Line Stage preamp, used from eBay. Built in 2016, excellent shape from original owner. I should have it later this week. I owned one about 2 years ago and sold it, but that was before I got my current speakers, Tekton Moabs. I always wanted to hear it with those, I think it might be a great match.

It will battle my current preamp, an Odyssey Candela. I have an Odyssey Kismet amp.

The Candela uses 12AU7 tubes, and I have 4 sets of those, including originals. The QuickSilver uses 12AT7. I have read that the 2 tube types "might" be interchangeable in certain circumstances. Are they here?

I also have an email in to QS about what it would take to add HT passthrough. I am hoping that isn't too hard.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:44 PM

Also, what would be good tubes to try for tube rolling?
Old 02-16-2022, 12:37 AM

I have NOS Mullard 6201 (12AT7) in my Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 and it sounds incredible. That preamp can be jumpered to use 6922 which i have grown tired of so I picked up a Kevin's Stash 6201 from upscale and it was worth every penny. When I got this pre it had a "NOS" Brimar 12at7 in it that sounded dark and lifeless. The Mullard tube transformed it. I just took my CJ Classic 2SE out of my system , I replaced it with a Zesto Leto and am struggling which to keep. The 12at7 SFL or the 6922 CJ. I think I'm going to sell the CJ and keep the SFL, it sounds that good.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddiofyl View Post
I have NOS Mullard 6201 (12AT7) in my Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 and it sounds incredible. That preamp can be jumpered to use 6922 which i have grown tired of so I picked up a Kevin's Stash 6201 from upscale and it was worth every penny. When I got this pre it had a "NOS" Brimar 12at7 in it that sounded dark and lifeless. The Mullard tube transformed it. I just took my CJ Classic 2SE out of my system , I replaced it with a Zesto Leto and am struggling which to keep. The 12at7 SFL or the 6922 CJ. I think I'm going to sell the CJ and keep the SFL, it sounds that good.
You can't find the NOS Mullard 6201s anywhere anymore... I guess they were plentiful 5-10 years ago. I just ordered a pair of Mullard CV4024, closest thing to them.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:34 PM

I ordered a pair of Mullard 12AT7s from Upscale Audio. One of them (left channel) would crackle intermittently and get worse after a few hours. Easily audible from the listening position, and over the music. I swapped the 2 and the problem followed the tube, so I sent it back. They said it tested fine, but sent me a new one anyway. The new one is doing exactly the same thing...

That really makes no logical sense, other than they sent me 2 tubes that test fine on their end, with the exact same problem. Any ideas?