AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 05-31-2013, 07:21 AM

Jerome- its not about opinion, its about fact. A measurable one.

Cellindo is correct, we do now agree.

The spring contact on the female is very low mass which is great sonically, not so great in its resistance to misuse. It does not spring back from any "severe" pressure. Side to side movement opens it wide and it does not come back. Larger jacks- especially locking ones, distort the spring and again it does not spring all the way back. Its not much of a spring, more a piece of foil. I have measured as high as 30 ohms resistance on misused contacts. In the worst cases, which in a way are better, they cut out completely. Mostly I see them still working, just with high resistance causing a real loss of quality.

I loaned my Giscours to a dealer for a few months. It came back with every single jack either not working at all or sounding terrible. As each one eventually cut out, they moved to the next input until it worked no more... Thats an extreme case of misuse by stupidly heavy cables- another issue, heavy cables will pull the jack downward which pushes the hot pin upward and again bad jack over time.

My point is- use things correctly. Its not always opinion, sometimes its the simple facts. Philips screwdriver for a philips screw. Even if you like torx better. Replacing jacks is a tedious job and must be done with the correct solder. I dislike doing this work as do my dealers, so just treat them right from the start.

Jonathan
Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post

anyway I would love to get the opinion of other AA members on this particular subject, and not Shindo users only.
Fwiw, I did once try to use a Furutech phono cable on Shindo. I basically immediately recognized that it was simply too big and would have to be forced into the Switchcraft. From this I concluded the inputs are smaller than average and I would stick to Shindo as much as possible.

The problem of course is the phono cable. This limits you to the Shindo table - which is a bit of an unreasonable demand on lp playing owners of Shindo pres - or arms with non- fixed cables.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Fwiw, I did once try to use a Furutech phono cable on Shindo. I basically immediately recognized that it was simply too big and would have to be forced into the Switchcraft. From this I concluded the inputs are smaller than average and I would stick to Shindo as much as possible.

The problem of course is the phono cable. This limits you to the Shindo table - which is a bit of an unreasonable demand on lp playing owners of Shindo pres - or arms with non- fixed cables.
I use WireWorld cables, Van Den Hul, and various other brands with Neutrik RCA plugs and never had the feeling that I had to force them in the female Swithcraft. Quite the opposite actually for most of them. Only a Linn Silver cable showed a very little resistance when I plugged it...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post

I use WireWorld cables, Van Den Hul, and various other brands with Neutrik RCA plugs and never had the feeling that I had to force them in the female Swithcraft. Quite the opposite actually for most of them. Only a Linn Silver cable showed a very little resistance when I plugged it...
Hmmmm....in all honesty I've had 6 (Aurieges, Aurigies phono, Monbrison, VRx2, Model 77) Shindo pres now and that isn't my experience with any. I've tried several brands of ICs myself, and have consistently found them to be a bit more snug than average. The Furutech was the worst offender. I finally subscribed to the all Shindo theory. I honestly don't think Switchcraft is designed to take some of the connections from many high end brand ICs. I have no expertise with this, just my personal experience. Take it for what it is worth, I'm not a dealer, but I fear damage. I bought a used - vintage - Shindo pre. The females look like they were hollowed out. Same for some used Sinhonias I bought years ago. If I ever noticed that that I did not encounter resistance when inserting the IC, I'd send it back for inspection for damage.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyljh View Post
Jerome- its not about opinion, its about fact. A measurable one.

Cellindo is correct, we do now agree.

The spring contact on the female is very low mass which is great sonically, not so great in its resistance to misuse. It does not spring back from any "severe" pressure. Side to side movement opens it wide and it does not come back. Larger jacks- especially locking ones, distort the spring and again it does not spring all the way back. Its not much of a spring, more a piece of foil. I have measured as high as 30 ohms resistance on misused contacts. In the worst cases, which in a way are better, they cut out completely. Mostly I see them still working, just with high resistance causing a real loss of quality.

I loaned my Giscours to a dealer for a few months. It came back with every single jack either not working at all or sounding terrible. As each one eventually cut out, they moved to the next input until it worked no more... Thats an extreme case of misuse by stupidly heavy cables- another issue, heavy cables will pull the jack downward which pushes the hot pin upward and again bad jack over time.

My point is- use things correctly. Its not always opinion, sometimes its the simple facts. Philips screwdriver for a philips screw. Even if you like torx better. Replacing jacks is a tedious job and must be done with the correct solder. I dislike doing this work as do my dealers, so just treat them right from the start.

Jonathan
Now I understand the problem Jonathan. Thanks a lot for the informations !
Very valuable and I feel less stupid.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Hmmmm....in all honesty I've had 6 (Aurieges, Aurigies phono, Monbrison, VRx2, Model 77) Shindo pres now and that isn't my experience with any. I've tried several brands of ICs myself, and have consistently found them to be a bit more snug than average. The Furutech was the worst offender. I finally subscribed to the all Shindo theory. I honestly don't think Switchcraft is designed to take some of the connections from many high end brand ICs. I have no expertise with this, just my personal experience. Take it for what it is worth, I'm not a dealer, but I fear damage. I bought a used - vintage - Shindo pre. The females look like they were hollowed out. Same for some used Sinhonias I bought years ago. If I ever noticed that that I did not encounter resistance when inserting the IC, I'd send it back for inspection for damage.
So my Giscours and my Apetite may have been "raped". Well they still sound very good on every input but I will have them checked now that I know this resistance issue with damaged coils....
Thanks for the feed back.

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-31-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omodo View Post
hah! can't wait to see the next trend on audigon: "only ever used with shindo or a23 cables"

well C-J, I guess you can only presume all sockets were replaced as a preventative measure.
Hi omodo yes I replace each connector by switchcraft my next step replace my Eichmann Bullet Plugs (male RCA) on my phono cables with switchcraft.

Last edited by Shindoadict; 05-31-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM

I will digress.

I have a Ocellia cables because I have Ocellia speaker just a step when I have the Devore O/93 or O/96 I would be full Shindo cables. I still have my IC Shindo.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindoadict View Post
I will digress.

I have a Ocellia cables because I have Ocellia speaker just a step when I have the Devore O/93 or O/96 I would be full Shindo cables. I still have my IC Shindo.
I would be cautious with those as well. I know that Samuel had a very close relationship with Paul Salabert of Phy-HP. I'd be curious as to whether their shared vision carried over into the ICs. I have several runs of Phy-HP cable - ICs and speaker cable. The IC connections are VERY large and, I'd guess, not at all suitable for Shindo gear. You'd have to put them in with a hammer.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 AM

Kev I replace the Ocellia connector by switchcraft and is a
temporary set up.

I agree the Ocellia connector is not good for the Shindo.