AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
For the life of me I can't find it looking backwards, but I think at one point you did a quick comparison of the chinese CV181 variants, "UK" 6SN7, Black bottle Shuguang, and grey bottle Psvane CV181.

Anyway you could summarize again (or anybody else), gonna order one to try.
UK CV-181 detailed solid tube. Perhaps a bit lean but I'll use it in the LP27a and the black glass in the amp.

Treasure black bottle CV-181 a little darker but still a fine tube.

Psvane grey glass bronze base CV-181 this one is rather special. Very detailed and has a touch of magic to it.

I agree with X-3workshop. At the present prices the holy grail tubes are just not worth it and may be a sonic disappointment. Yes, you can stumble onto a deal now and then but $500 for a pair of Tungsol round plates...nah. YMMV.

I messed with 6F8G's, a 6SN7 equivalent, with adapters but was not pleased with the results. Again. YMMV.

I still have a very good collection of old production 6SN7's but am not using them. More YMMV.

This hobby is a journey and you can go broke chasing the elusive perfect ______________. Fill in the blank.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 10-16-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post
I couldn't agree more.
I've been through 15ish NOS 6SN7 variants. Only one (red base 6sn7) has come close to my Psvane grey bottle, and the grey bottle still easily edges it out.

I would stay safe and invest in Psvane black/grey bottle, or Sophia 6sn7.
NOS (IMO) is a waste of $$ ymmv
How do you like the Sophia 6SN7? I believe it is manufactured by Full Music.

There is a new Shuguang WE 6SN7/CV-181. I have not tried nor is there any info on the web.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Do the 6SN7W and bottom getter 6SN7GTs share enough sonic traits to use the the bottom getter as a trial before jumping in for the metal base? Seems like even the early bottom getters can be had for reasonable prices.
I thought they were pretty close. Tell you what, i have a pretty large collection of tested vintage 6SN7s and VT-231s.

Last edited by jdandy; 10-16-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: selling on open forum against forum rules.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
UK CV-181 detailed solid tube. Perhaps a bit lean but I'll use it in the LP27a and the black glass in the amp.

Treasure black bottle CV-181 a little darker but still a fine tube.

Psvane grey glass bronze base CV-181 this one is rather special. Very detailed and has a touch of magic to it.

I agree with X-3workshop. At the present prices the holy grail tubes are just not worth it and may be a sonic disappointment. Yes, you can stumble onto a deal now and then but $500 for a pair of Tungsol round plates...nah. YMMV.

I messed with 6F8G's, a 6SN7 equivalent, with adapters but was not pleased with the results. Again. YMMV.

I still have a very good collection of old production 6SN7's but am not using them. More YMMV.

This hobby is a journey and you can go broke chasing the elusive perfect ______________. Fill in the blank.
Well, I guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought, it was you.

Gonna give the grey bottle a try. I reached out the Salience on that auction site. They only have "classic" grade single tubes listed, "Premium" grade where are listed as pairs. Hopefully they can ship a single "premium" grade.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I thought they were pretty close. Tell you what, i have a pretty large collection of tested vintage 6SN7s and VT-231s.
AA, greatly appreciate the offer. At this point, it sounds like Dennis could probably use 1/2 FTE just to answer the correspondence from us audio loons.

Will send him an email. Thanks again.

Last edited by jdandy; 10-16-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: posting personal email on public forum is against forum rules
Old 10-16-2016, 04:29 PM

I had a bad experience with a seller called Shuguangs. The premium grade has more closely matched sections than the classic.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Only 23 left! Made it official earlier this week, my 45 SET will have a new playmate in about 2 weeks. Will be shipping with reissue KT66's, Dennis' suggestion given my affection of the "old man's amp" 45 sound. Will definitely grab a set of KT77's some time down to road to try also, seems like the biggest difference in sound from the KT66, KT88, 6550 variants.

Regarding 6SN7's, i only have 6SL7 variants that I have used on my 45 SET. Any of the PSE owners have a favorite 6SN7 yet?

Analog Addict, one common theme I have seen from you re the PSE, despite the output tubes being used, I usually see a metal base Sylvania 6SN7W in the driver spot from your listening sessions with Dennis. Brent Jessee had some blems at a resonable price, but spoke to him this morning and they are gone. So, given the metal base a try just got a lot more expensive.
The PSE is a different amp than mine so it is entirely possible that you may prefer a different 6SN7 than I...or anyone else. There are no absolutes. We all have preferences.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:

The PSE is a different amp than mine so it is entirely possible that you may prefer a different 6SN7 than I...or anyone else. There are no absolutes. We all have preferences.
This is always going to be true, even if two people have the same amp and speakers. They may prefer different power tubes, driver tubes and/or rectifiers. For example some people here prefer a 6sl7 driver tube, which is significantly different than a 6sn7.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
This is always going to be true, even if two people have the same amp and speakers. They may prefer different power tubes, driver tubes and/or rectifiers. For example some people here prefer a 6sl7 driver tube, which is significantly different than a 6sn7.
Yes it is. Your source and cabling make a difference in driver tube preference too. That is why there is really no holy grail tube.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Debt-to-Income Ratio......

:Yes: