AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-23-2021, 01:24 AM

Smile Any Apple Music Server People Here?

To clarify, I'm wondering if anyone is using an Apple computer -- along with some form of Network Attached Storage -- to create a "magic juke box"?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 06-23-2021, 06:38 AM

Yes. I ran JRiver, Sonos, and Roon off of a 2019 Core i7 Mac Mini and kept the music library on an older, entry level Synology NAS. To avoid having to keep the Mac mini always on (personal preference) I updated to a newer Synology NAS, which now runs Roon core as well as the library. JRiver and Sonos access the same library, just running on the 'mini.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 06-23-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Any Apple Music Server People Here?

I also use a Mac Mini as a music server and run Roon software. I run it headless with an iPad. The only difference from what you are asking is that my music is stored directly on the Mac Mini and not a network storage device. I didn’t do this because I also have an iMac that has an identical copy of my music library on it and it’s backed up to a separate storage device and I was trying to keep the Mac Mini music server as simple as possible.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:13 AM

Default Synology NAS versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Yes. I ran JRiver, Sonos, and Roon off of a 2019 Core i7 Mac Mini and kept the music library on an older, entry level Synology NAS. To avoid having to keep the Mac mini always on (personal preference) I updated to a newer Synology NAS, which now runs Roon core as well as the library. JRiver and Sonos access the same library, just running on the 'mini.
Would you mind elaborating on the differences between your early Synology NAS and the newer version? Was it just to avoid having to keep the Mac Mini running all the time?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 06-25-2021, 01:16 AM

Default Headless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I also use a Mac Mini as a music server and run Roon software. I run it headless with an iPad. The only difference from what you are asking is that my music is stored directly on the Mac Mini and not a network storage device. I didn’t do this because I also have an iMac that has an identical copy of my music library on it and it’s backed up to a separate storage device and I was trying to keep the Mac Mini music server as simple as possible.
What does "...run it 'headless' with an iPad," mean? Do you have an ethernet setup at home?

Old 06-25-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
What does "...run it 'headless' with an iPad," mean? Do you have an ethernet setup at home?

Running the Mac mini headless means that I am controlling my Mac mini with my iPhone or iPad rather than using a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I can do this because I have set up my Mac mini to be a Roon Core and Roon has an app available which allows one to control the Roon Core with an iPhone or iPad. This is very convenient and allows me tuck the Mac mini away and out of sight. To learn more about this, Roon has a tutorial on their website that explains how their software works.

As far as Ethernet, I have the Mac mini hard wired to my wifi router via an Ethernet cable. The Mac mini is then connected to my Simaudio DAC via a USB cable.

A couple things to note. I only use my Mac mini as a Roon Core and do not use it for anything else. Also, before running the Mac mini headless like this, be sure to set up the Roon software on the Mac mini to auto start on startup otherwise you’ll either have to reattach the monitor, keyboard, and mouse or screen share into the Mac mini every time the power cycles just to start the Roon software. In case you don’t know what screen sharing is, it means that one can use another computer to basically take over the Mac mini and then use the other computer’s monitor, keyboard, and mouse to control the Mac mini. And finally, if you don’t have wifi in your home, I don’t believe you can run your Mac mini headless like this to control the Roon software with an iPhone or iPad.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
Would you mind elaborating on the differences between your early Synology NAS and the newer version? Was it just to avoid having to keep the Mac Mini running all the time?
Hello 70's - yes that was the primary driver for the new NAS (shut down the 'mini every night and let it go to sleep when not used - which is most of the time). I am a believer in NAS storage once I first started using them, 7-8 years ago. So that first (entry level) NAS was getting old and performance has improved dramatically. Also lets you save considerable $$ on expensive Mac memory since files are offloaded to the NAS.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:47 PM

While I don't use an Apple computer to access an NAS I have friends that do and they've mentioned it works well for them. Other than some uniquely Apple features it works almost the same as the PC version does.

I am running a Synology DS415+ which I purchased in May of 2015. Originally equipped with four (4) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA HDDs from Samsung, I have since upgraded all the drives to Samsung 2TB SSDs. Initial setup of the NAS was easily completed via Synology's website.

I can access my NAS using my Dell G7 17 laptop which is connected wirelessly to my network. The laptop performs as the Roon Core. I can also access my NAS wirelessly using an Android tablet. The tablet can be used to operate the Roon music software using their remote app.

Using Synology's website I have the power scheme set so that the NAS turns off just after Midnight each evening and powers back up around 5 AM. My laptop is synched to that schedule as well.

Good luck with your NAS choice.

Last edited by Yamaki; 06-25-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:23 AM

Talking Timer Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
While I don't use an Apple computer to access an NAS I have friends that do and they've mentioned it works well for them. Other than some uniquely Apple features it works almost the same as the PC version does.

I am running a Synology DS415+ which I purchased in May of 2015. Originally equipped with four (4) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA HDDs from Samsung, I have since upgraded all the drives to Samsung 2TB SSDs. Initial setup of the NAS was easily completed via Synology's website.

I can access my NAS using my Dell G7 17 laptop which is connected wirelessly to my network. The laptop performs as the Roon Core. I can also access my NAS wirelessly using an Android tablet. The tablet can be used to operate the Roon music software using their remote app.

Using Synology's website I have the power scheme set so that the NAS turns off just after Midnight each evening and powers back up around 5 AM. My laptop is synched to that schedule as well.

Good luck with your NAS choice.
Wow, Michael, I never knew anything about that timer functionality you mentioned. With the exception of the Android tablet, I think that our digital "jukebox" setups will [someday] be very similar, so knowing this about being able to control the gear in the system is very helpful.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:36 PM

Question NAS choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hello 70's - yes that was the primary driver for the new NAS (shut down the 'mini every night and let it go to sleep when not used - which is most of the time). I am a believer in NAS storage once I first started using them, 7-8 years ago. So that first (entry level) NAS was getting old and performance has improved dramatically. Also lets you save considerable $$ on expensive Mac memory since files are offloaded to the NAS.
CLPetersen..... When you first started looking at NAS devices, did you have other brands in contention? In other words, did you consider other NAS brands or have you found that Synology is far and away the best brand going?