AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Remote Control

Remote Control Power is Nothing without Control

Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I have a Galaxy S4 phone, it has IR built into it...I wonder if any of the apps out there are good for it.
I also have an S4 and I've been looking for apps that can rival my old Harmony 885. The app that comes closest is the TouchSquid (2 versions, the Pro version has Macro support, which I can't decide if I need). It is Activity driven, like the Harmony.

My most important criteria is that I want to be able to configure exactly what buttons go where on the primary screen. The TouchSquid seems to do this, but I haven't actually tried it. It even has a default profile specifically for the S4, which is not quite the button arrangement I'm after, but ok as long as I can change it.

At a lower price, the Smart IR seems ok, but not as configurable.

Last edited by The Attorney; 12-23-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: punctuation correction
Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I've been using the Harmony Smart Control on one of my systems. It includes an IR blaster that sits in my equipment rack and an iOS app that works pretty well to control everything over wifi. There's also a basic small handheld remote as backup. I know there are not a lot of Harmony fans here, but for $130 it seems to work pretty well.
Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech
I have been using the harmony ultimate with my iPad works great.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:11 AM

What about the Harmony app from the app store? I'm a Harmony 1000 user myself and will soon be using a iPad to control a Bryston BDP-2 that I plan on purchasing later this year and I just stumbled onto this app today while doing a web search.

Is anyone familiar with the apple Harmony app? Is it as capable as the 1000/1100 remotes were? i.e.controlling as many devices at a time, macro support, etc. You certainly get a much larger screen by running it from a iPad.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
What about the Harmony app from the app store? I'm a Harmony 1000 user myself and will soon be using a iPad to control a Bryston BDP-2 that I plan on purchasing later this year and I just stumbled onto this app today while doing a web search. Is anyone familiar with the apple Harmony app? Is it as capable as the 1000/1100 remotes were? i.e.controlling as many devices at a time, macro support, etc. You certainly get a much larger screen by running it from a iPad.
when used with a Harmony hub, it works well. I control two different rooms, each with different av setups, and with Bluray, Directv, Roku, Apple TV and AVR. I tend to use the handheld remote more, simply because it's easy to leave on the arm of my chair and grab for quick volume or channel changes, but the app will certainly do it all including full on and off sequences, switching automatically between sources, etc.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 AM

hmm, this sounds promising then. So what's the deal with this Harmony Hub product you mention, is that necessary as a companion for the app or can one accomplish all they need with just an iPad and the app?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Rebellious!

Yes, you need the Hub.

I use Harmony App and it works well. iRule was just plain miserable.

Note: I use both the hand held remote and iPad

CNET Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpDSlpvguY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSQYFiMIHU

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 01-20-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: note & review link
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM

Thanks

I just downloaded the app and like you mention you can't even perform any initial setup without 1st connecting to the hub. I was hoping I could at least get the app to the point where I can add devices and start setting up activities so I could see how flexible this is compared to my 1000. I don't want to spend the $100 for the hub only to find out this is at best equal to my 1000.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I've been using the Harmony Smart Control on one of my systems. It includes an IR blaster that sits in my equipment rack and an iOS app that works pretty well to control everything over wifi. There's also a basic small handheld remote as backup. I know there are not a lot of Harmony fans here, but for $130 it seems to work pretty well.
Harmony Smart Control - Remote for iPad, iPhone & Android - Logitech
The issue I have with Harmony is that it requires an internet connection at all times and the remote would stop working if the internet goes down.

I don't know if they solved it in the last version. I can't find anything relating to that.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
The issue I have with Harmony is that it requires an internet connection at all times and the remote would stop working if the internet goes down. I don't know if they solved it in the last version. I can't find anything relating to that.
Georges, the Harmony Hub and controller only require an Internet connection for setup, not for use. It does require wifi, since this is how the handheld remote and ipad communicate with the hub.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Georges, the Harmony Hub and controller only require an Internet connection for setup, not for use. It does require wifi, since this is how the handheld remote and ipad communicate with the hub.
My understanding is that you need a live connection to the internet to use the app on your iPhone or iPad.

However, the remote works fine without a connection.

If I'm correct, I don't understand why they do it like that and I don't see the gain compared to my 900 if you still need a remote.