AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:56 PM

You would effectively be replacing Roon with the Synology system, so no more Roon. For what it's worth, I've been using Roon on a Sonictransporter now for a few years and have had no problems, so it is possible to have a pretty seamless experience with Roon. The Synology system works but the only information you'll see is whatever is in your music files' metadata. Also there's no way to integrate a streaming service like Qobuz or Tidal - but for just playing your own ripped or downloaded music from your NAS, it works well. I haven't used it much myself so I can't really comment on sound quality vs other options. And if you want to keep directing traffic from your laptop, you have to do it through the Synology web interface. You still need some sort of end point. The RPi may be able to do that but I don't know anything about them so can't help there.

To use Synology music, first access your Synology through a web browser, then go to Package Center and install Audio Station. Then open Control Panel, select Indexing Services, then Indexed Folder and make sure your Music folder is checked for Audio and Photo. Now download the DS Audio app on your phone (app store for iPhone, not sure about Android - you may have to download it from the Synology website) and, once the music files are done indexing, you should see your music in the app. In the app you select the output device, i.e. what streamer you want to direct the music to.

Other options to consider, which would work well on your laptop and stream from your NAS are Audirvana (Audirvana.com) and jRiver Media Center (jriver.com), both of which are excellent packages with useful features and have a lot of adherents.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-03-2023, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the input, Tony.

I am coming to the same conclusion. I have no experience with the two software packages you mentioned but I assume they are worth a try.

The RPI was used by Roon as an endpoint. I think if I continue to use Roon I'll need to separate it from the Windows OS environment and run it from the Synology box instead. I can add RAM to that box and have some sort of remote device, phone or tablet, to use as a control point.

I can also add a streamer and use that component's app as a control point, use some other software and send Roon on its way.

I'm getting dizzy contemplating all these options!
Old 10-03-2023, 03:32 PM

Default Starting Over With Digital

And here's another option: buy a streamer like a Bluesound Node for $600 and connect it to your Mac, it'll do it all - play from your NAS, all the usual streaming services, has Bluetooth and Apple Airplay, and has a good phone and tablet app. It's simple to set up and operate, and doesn't need any other software. My son just added one to his system and loves it.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-03-2023, 03:36 PM

I thought about the BlueSound Node as a possible streamer/control point.

When you say "...connect it to your Mac" are you referring to my McIntosh gear or to some form of Macintosh tablet?
Old 10-03-2023, 03:39 PM

Default Starting Over With Digital

Your McIntosh. It has both analog and digital outputs, so you can run a USB from it to your D100.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:51 PM

There's also the ifi Zen Stream for about $400, very similar function - and guess who's a dealer?
Old 10-03-2023, 04:17 PM

Ahh...I see the Node has optical as well which works for me.

Guess? Would that be the Great Benefactor MasterLu?
Old 10-03-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Ahh...I see the Node has optical as well which works for me.

Guess? Would that be the Great Benefactor MasterLu?

[emoji106]
Old 10-03-2023, 04:51 PM

FWIW, the ifi is fairly new so I’m not that familiar with it, but the Bluesound has been around a while and is a mature product. If you’re looking to get away from having to deal with any software, it’s one-and-done - connect it to your dac and network (Ethernet or WiFi), tell it where to find your music files, download the control app on your phone or tablet and you’re done.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:10 PM

The Bluesound Node is that easy, eh? Now that's exactly what I am looking for.

So I don't need the RPI in the system any longer? It was only being used as a Roon control point.

I'm also wondering about the reclocker. The DAC does not have one and I have experienced "jitter" in the signal before. The Bluesound has an optical out, which I'd connect to the reclocke and then the reclocker connects to the DAC.

This just might work!

Tony, thanks for hanging in there with me on this. I truly appreciate your help.