AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 06-09-2015, 07:58 PM

The BHK sounded nice at Newport!
Old 06-10-2015, 11:59 AM

The PS Audio hype machine is in full swing - "it the equivalent to a $120K amp"...yeah, right.

All of their products go through this hype and then what happens? Lots of PWDs, DSs, etc. show up used on Audiogon.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
The PS Audio hype machine is in full swing - "it the equivalent to a $120K amp"...yeah, right. All of their products go through this hype and then what happens? Lots of PWDs, DSs, etc. show up used on Audiogon.
While I concede the hype machine is fully engaged, I think it's unfair to disparage the DS, which has garnered more rave reviews and awards than any DAC in recent memory. Those reviewers aren't all on the payroll. The DS is in the reference systems of some very picky people I know and Ted Smith's work is ground breaking. Full stop.

The BHK could be a turkey, but the DS deserved and still deserves the accolades.

JMTC
Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
While I concede the hype machine is fully engaged, I think it's unfair to disparage the DS, which has garnered more rave reviews and awards than any DAC in recent memory. Those reviewers aren't all on the payroll. The DS is in the reference systems of some very picky people I know and Ted Smith's work is ground breaking. Full stop.

The BHK could be a turkey, but the DS deserved and still deserves the accolades.

JMTC

DACs like amps are always a matter of personal preferences.

I like DSD DACs. Ever since I heard an EMM Labs DAC2/TSD1 combo so many years ago. I ended up buying the XDS1 (v1) and later the Playback Designs MPS-5 with the USB-X box.

The DirectStream is a phenomenal piece of gear - bringing in the tech of the EMM/Playback stuff for a fraction of their prices.

In fact, I reckon the new Pikes Peak OS on the DirectStream has surpassed my XDS1. My friend with the DAC2X/TSD-X combo bought the DS DAC and is putting the DAC2X on the market.

Whether you like the DirectStream flavour - is another issue altogether. I also own the Ayon CD-5S with quad PCM1704UK DACs - the last of the original R2R/ladder DACs and I agree that the signature of R2R DACs is very different - and some may not like the way DSD DACs reproduce especially 16/44.1 material vs on something like the Ayon. This is what I believe Berkeley tries to reproduce in their range of DACs - even though they use a sigma delta type off the shelf chip.

I am waiting for the BSK amps to arrive in Australia - but I have been listening to BSK's interviews and talks at some small events and I love how down to earth he is and I identify a lot with what he talks about - like how music should be an emotional experience - not just about specs or measurements. It doesn't stop him from making his amps measure well there is a current hold on the mono block beta testing because of the measurement doesn't stack up.

So I am really looking forward to hearing them.

More importantly, I think Paul is on to something - getting industry experts with the right competencies to design these new gear, rather than trying to do everything in house as he had always done. When you listen to Ted and Bascom talk, it is with the fervour of people who are passionate about what they do - and not just going in to work to pick up a paycheque. That's always a good thing in my book.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
DACs like amps are always a matter of personal preferences. I like DSD DACs. Ever since I heard an EMM Labs DAC2/TSD1 combo so many years ago. I ended up buying the XDS1 (v1) and later the Playback Designs MPS-5 with the USB-X box. The DirectStream is a phenomenal piece of gear - bringing in the tech of the EMM/Playback stuff for a fraction of their prices. In fact, I reckon the new Pikes Peak OS on the DirectStream has surpassed my XDS1. My friend with the DAC2X/TSD-X combo bought the DS DAC and is putting the DAC2X on the market. Whether you like the DirectStream flavour - is another issue altogether. I also own the Ayon CD-5S with quad PCM1704UK DACs - the last of the original R2R/ladder DACs and I agree that the signature of R2R DACs is very different - and some may not like the way DSD DACs reproduce especially 16/44.1 material vs on something like the Ayon. This is what I believe Berkeley tries to reproduce in their range of DACs - even though they use a sigma delta type off the shelf chip. I am waiting for the BSK amps to arrive in Australia - but I have been listening to BSK's interviews and talks at some small events and I love how down to earth he is and I identify a lot with what he talks about - like how music should be an emotional experience - not just about specs or measurements. It doesn't stop him from making his amps measure well there is a current hold on the mono block beta testing because of the measurement doesn't stack up. So I am really looking forward to hearing them. More importantly, I think Paul is on to something - getting industry experts with the right competencies to design these new gear, rather than trying to do everything in house as he had always done. When you listen to Ted and Bascom talk, it is with the fervour of people who are passionate about what they do - and not just going in to work to pick up a paycheque. That's always a good thing in my book.
True that.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhiner View Post
True that.
+1
Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 PM

Default BHK 300 Mono's

Go to PS audio Forum pages to see my first report on my BHK 300's.
Hint: YES
Old 07-19-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisand View Post
Go to PS audio Forum pages to see my first report on my BHK 300's.
Hint: YES

nice!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM

The PS Audio site invites you to ask questions about the 250 amp. I did a couple of days ago and they didn't respond. I asked about the power of the transformer feeding the output circuit. I believe there is only one. I asked about the total capacity of the power capacitors feeding the output circuit. I asked for the number of output transistors on each side. I asked for the overall stereo separation.

I wonder why these specs are not published with the info on the site, as is normal for power amps. Specs are better than hype.

If the monos sound so much better than the 250 apart from overall power, I suggest there is something amiss with the 250. Clearly it is not two channel all the way.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Go into forums on the PS Audio site and find the BHK forum. Ask BHK directly. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you have.