AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

View Poll Results: Which version of Beethoven #9 do you prefer?
Frans Bruggen 0 0%
Wilhelm Furtwangler 2 40.00%
Null vote - show me the results! 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 AM

Default Two Beethoven 9's

Given that my system is out of action (blown amp) I have been listening to music on Youtube!

I would like to present two versions of the slow movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony. The first is by Frans Bruggen. This is a highly acclaimed set - said by many to be the best of the HIP's (HIP = Historically Informed Performances):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLaw-Ztfws]Beethoven Symphony No 9 3. Adagio molto e cantabile - YouTube[/ame]

The second version is a 1951 performance by Wilhelm Furtwangler. A totally different sound from the old Master at the height of his powers:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X4bGbtqVgc&feature=related]Beethoven " 9. Symphony" Furtwängler (3. Mov.) - YouTube[/ame]

My question: which do you prefer, and why?
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Listener in Training

Amfibius,

Listening to these was fun. I've got several versions of Beethoven's symphonies, and come back to von Karajan's 1963 9th most often (on SACD from DG). I grew up on my dad's LPs of Toscanini's boxed set, but boy, the recording quality of those (ripped onto my Mac Mini) on my current setup is just too limited for real enjoyment.

The whole Youtube/recording quality aside, both these versions are enjoyable, with the Bruggen to be very "smooth" and intriguing to me. I also have the 'historically informed' version by Hogwood conducting the Academy of Ancient Music (whom I saw perform c. 1988 in Hong Kong). I'll check out to see if I can get both on CD. Will click on that Amazon ad Masterlu placed so conveniently below...

Thanks for sharing!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Listener in Training

PS: I'm not voting for either, because I do like both
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Glad you enjoyed both performances To me, one was clearly superior to the other - and it ain't the modern version!
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM

A little bit disappointing. This thread (and my other thread on the Bach WTK) seems to have generated very little interest. Seems as if there aren't very many classical music enthusiasts on this forum.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Vintage listener

I am interested in this topic. I would have to vote for the Furtwangler version. I must say, though, that I like John Elliot Gardner's version better than either. Everyone's taste is different on things like this. Maybe I have just listened to it more and become convinced that is the "right" way to play it.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Listener in Training

Amfibius,
I've ordered both versions, plus Furtwanger's 1954 version as well. Am looking forward to some quality listening time next weekend, where we've got an extra day here in the US.

While I've always considered the 9th as the epitome of mankind's musical endeavors, just listening to your post has given me a much greater appreciation of the 3rd movement, something I missed since in my mind the power of the 4th movement crowded out the rest of the piece.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Life is beautiful

Keith, I didn't have the time this week.
But will try this weekend!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart
Keith, I didn't have the time this week.
But will try this weekend!
same!

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Life is beautiful

Old vs new: sound quality wise the new wins of course.
But the intensity of Furtwängler is more there; I think he "feels" Beethoven better.
Conclusion: old still wins.
The Abbado version I listened to yesterday, might be in between...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables