AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2
Hmmmm....... thinking an MEN220 might be the alternative.
Yes, although, I think passive treatments should be made in addition to any active help.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Hi Randy

I'd suggest getting an acoustician over to measure your listening room and Rx targeted intervention for any room nodes/anomalies. I tend to avoid broadband absorbers/diffusers in the absence of empirical evidence. Abit like gardening with a shovel: you'll get the weeds but you might get a few flowers as well.

Your system is lovely and very revealing. I cannot imagine it will be your system. Having said that: IMHE Classical is the hardest genre to get to sound good: especially large scale orchestral with mass strings.

You also have a different listening experience with classical - it is (and should be) a 10 row back experience: and no, no system I have ever heard replicates an orchestra in your room. The best you can get is the gestalt. Of course some gestalt is better than other gestalt.

For me, timbral accuracy, transient speed and texture are the important factors. If I can get some weight with it all the better.

In any event: how is it coming along?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Hey Andy,

I have been searching for an acoustician for a couple of years. I will probably do a MATT test with ASC in the near future. Frankly, after 6 tube traps (11's and 16's) and a number of acoustic panels, I do not think there is much to do beyond deal with the low ceiling.

I spent 5 hours zeroing in the speakers using the WASP method with a trained tech and the imagining is razor sharp and devoid of boundary effect. I have no doubt someone like Metaphacts could make it better, but it ain't bad now.

It is probably an expectations problem. I am used to a "front row" experience with most of what I listen to. But as Serge pointed out, these pieces are recorded to be more of a 10-15 rows back experience. Also, I probably do not play them loud enough. I tend to be a 70-75 dB guy, which is probably too low for a full orchestra that has been unleashed.

It makes no sense that it would be a room or hardware problem when every other genre sounds great. It is probably me. I will find something that is acclaimed as a great CD recording and try it on my system (Lord, let it be Bach or Tchaikovsky )
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Ahhhh yes Orchestral I listen to at 80 db with peaks in the mid 90's, much like live. Well 5 db down probably.

Agree it isn't your room or gear. Mind you I am a big fan of RPG diffusion panels. Good science.

Oh and you don't really get imaging with Classical.

Happy hi fi

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Well, this is pretty embarrassing. Per Andy's suggestion, I turned the volume up beyond my usual mark and suddenly my concert hall appeared. And as Kal remarked, the perceived depth of sound stage is more a direction than the violinist is right "there."

I guess the lesson is to forget preconceived notions of volume settings and instead listen to the particular recording at hand at whatever your ears tell you is optimum. DUH.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Ahhh excellent: great when you find a simple solution. FWIW I find Classical is mastered alot less "hot" than other genre's. I'm always adjusting the volume - mind you I'm with Peter Walker: every tune has an optimum volume that it should be listen to at.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman
Well, this is pretty embarrassing. Per Andy's suggestion, I turned the volume up beyond my usual mark and suddenly my concert hall appeared. And as Kal remarked, the perceived depth of sound stage is more a direction than the violinist is right "there."

I guess the lesson is to forget preconceived notions of volume settings and instead listen to the particular recording at hand at whatever your ears tell you is optimum. DUH.
+1!

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Bingo! The violinist is right "there" is an option for the recordist but one not universally implemented. Try some of the Heifetz Living Stereo SACDs for that.

Quote:
Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Ahhh excellent: great when you find a simple solution. FWIW I find Classical is mastered alot less "hot" than other genre's.
And that's a good thing.