AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:34 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Smile Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch

The Taiko Audio Extreme

The Taiko Audio Extreme is 99 lbs. It’s built like a tank. Best build quality of any streamer I’ve seen to date.

Christiaan from Taiko set up the unit remotely from the Netherlands. He also maximized Roon. He was extremely gracious and patient. Ed set up XDMS. It isn’t into even Beta version yet, but the sound!!!

The sound is amazing!

Vinyl still wins the day. I think it always will. But Taiko is closing the gap. We will see just by how much when the TachDAS Air Force One arrives.

The Taiko is world class! Some of the improvements I’m hearing over our other streamer:

(1) The soundstage seems limitless

(2) The dynamics have improved

(3) Removal of distortion

(4) A purity and clearer sound

(5) It gets me closer to our analogue life-like sound

Those are the initial pros.

The Taiko Audio Switch

When you own a Taiko Audio Extreme you are already thinking, “How can it get better than this?” Truly amazing!

Well, the Taiko Team has been at work. Enter the Taiko Audio Switch. I’ve only been using it a few hours, but here are my initial impressions.

The bass is deeper and more defined. The organic midrange has improved the imaging. While with the Extreme alone I felt as if the singer was in the room, now I feel as if I could touch them. That’s how realistic the sound is. You’re not only at the venue, but at the very best seat in the house.

The sound is as natural as the air you’re breathing. This said, the sound retains its edge acuity. That is the notes are better defined. There’s definitely more bloom to the sound. There’s a 3D layering of the sound - layer after layer - like a beautiful wave of naturalness falling upon your entire being. You’re one with the music.

I really enjoy female vocals. That’s one reason I purchased Vitus Audio Masterpiece components, as Hans fine tunes them to the human voice. Vitus excels in every aspect of their process, and you hear it. However, Vitus MP + Taiko Extreme + Taiko Switch brings your experience even closer to absolute nirvana. Taiko doesn’t improve Vitus, but fully complements it bringing what in my option is the best sound that one may have from a digital source.

Taiko has out done themselves AGAIN!

PS: Thinking about the Taiko Audio Router.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1022.jpeg (2.66 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1024.jpeg (2.72 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1025.jpeg (2.59 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1060.jpeg (2.70 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1061.jpeg (2.75 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1063.jpeg (2.40 MB, 28 views)

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:03 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Great review;

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/superi...mer_Review.htm
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-21-2023, 02:54 PM

I find mine amazing enough to sell my vinyl gear and just go with the Taiko.
It is literally impossible to describe until you hear one.
Just like Joe said, you cannot believe that it can get any better, until another software update comes out and then it blows everything away.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:39 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post
I find mine amazing enough to sell my vinyl gear and just go with the Taiko.
It is literally impossible to describe until you hear one.
Just like Joe said, you cannot believe that it can get any better, until another software update comes out and then it blows everything away.
Awesome! And Ivan that is a great review!

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:50 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

We just had an upgrade today to NSM. This is a serious upgrade to SQ in XDMS (Taiko’s streaming app). Better bass and sound stage were immediately heard.

Taiko Audio just announced their Olympus Streamer as well. It’s above the Extreme. There are many different configs to it. No pricing at present.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:55 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Here’s the official announcement:

Today we are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies over the course of it's life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding it's ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model today, called the Olympus. Hierarchically it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience then the Extreme, or any other server I've heard for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions as sound staging, dynamics, colour palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed as we are to keeping the Extreme as current as possible we are introducing a second product today, called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate it's performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

There are many technological advanced innovations in the Olympus, describing them all will take time and will make this introduction piece hard to digest, we will add bits and pieces of information over the coming days. For now I'll just say that the best way to describe it in short is that we have eliminated a large number of intermediate processing steps and conversions, in both hardware and software, for a more direct, more streamlined, more purist "signal path". I will post a graphical presentation in the following posts which we made in an attempt to provide an as clear as possible overview of the Olympus product series. Pricing and availability information to follow later as well.

Pic of different configs
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1122.jpeg (206.8 KB, 12 views)

Old 12-13-2023, 09:58 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Pics of the Olympus and I/O
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1124.jpeg (191.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1123.jpeg (280.3 KB, 11 views)

Old 12-13-2023, 02:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Here’s the official announcement:

Today we are introducing the culmination of close to 4 years of research and development. As a bona fide IT/tech nerd with a passion for music I have always been intrigued by the potential of leveraging the most modern of technologies in order to create a better music playback experience. This, amongst others, led to the creation of our popular, perhaps even revolutionary, Extreme music server 5 years ago which we have been steadily improving and updating with new technologies over the course of it's life cycle. Today I feel we can safely claim it's holding it's ground against the onslaught of new server releases from other companies, and we are committed to keep improving it for years to come.

We are introducing a new server model today, called the Olympus. Hierarchically it positions itself above the Extreme. It does provide quite a different music experience then the Extreme, or any other server I've heard for that matter. Conventional audiophile descriptions as sound staging, dynamics, colour palette, etc, fall short to describe this difference. It does not sound digital or analog, I would be inclined to describe it as coming closer to the intended (or unintended) performance of the recording engineer.

Committed as we are to keeping the Extreme as current as possible we are introducing a second product today, called the Olympus I/O. This is an external upgrade to the Extreme containing a significant part of the Olympus technology allowing it to come near, though not entirely at, Olympus performance levels. The Olympus I/O can even be added to the Olympus itself to elevate it's performance even further, though not as dramatic an uplift as adding it to the Extreme. Consider it the proverbial "cherry on top".

There are many technological advanced innovations in the Olympus, describing them all will take time and will make this introduction piece hard to digest, we will add bits and pieces of information over the coming days. For now I'll just say that the best way to describe it in short is that we have eliminated a large number of intermediate processing steps and conversions, in both hardware and software, for a more direct, more streamlined, more purist "signal path". I will post a graphical presentation in the following posts which we made in an attempt to provide an as clear as possible overview of the Olympus product series. Pricing and availability information to follow later as well.

Pic of different configs
The Taiko graphic attached designates the new Olympus add-on as the Olympus I/O (when used with the Extreme) and when used with the new Olympus server as the "Olympus O/I"

What is the actual, correct descriptor for this "add-on" to the Extreme or new (standalone) Olympus server?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:23 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The Taiko graphic attached designates the new Olympus add-on as the Olympus I/O (when used with the Extreme) and when used with the new Olympus server as the "Olympus O/I"

What is the actual, correct descriptor for this "add-on" to the Extreme or new (standalone) Olympus server?
From what I understand it’s called I/O or O/I. The I/O may be added to the Extreme to improve playback. The O/I may be added to the Olympus. I think the Extreme and Olympus will have a different way to connect to one’s system or internally and that may be why the I and O are reversed. But that’s just a guess. The Olympus runs off a battery - 30 year life span.

Last edited by JoeN; 12-13-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Well, as someone used to be involved in leading VOC (Voice of the Customer) teams and DFSS projects for highly technical engineering and scientific product design and development, my suggestion for Taiko would be to come up with a standardized nomenclature for their product offerings, otherwise this will indubitably lead to a fair bit of customer confusion. Especially amongst "audiophile-types" as we know how potentially "obssesive" they can be about minutiae.

Just my 2¢. Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.