AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-23-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
Great Stuff! When are you purchasing scirica?

There has been a delay while I tried to sell my Bryston 14bsst2. Looks like that might be resolved this weekend (knock on wood) and in goes the order for the 462!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM

Great News[emoji1360]
Old 11-23-2018, 05:37 PM

I have owned my new MC462 for about seven weeks. It was purchased as an upgrade from an MC302 and I am using it to drive my Wilson Audio Yvettes which I have enjoyed greatly for the last two years. The MC462 sounded great out of the box, but there appears to be a bit of a 'burn in' period during which it blossums into its full glory ... ~ 70+ hours. The MC462 has great grip in the bass and mid-bass, however the nuances and ultimate sweetness in the upper midrange become more obvious after a bit of use. I am using Transparent speaker cables and a G5 power cable. The MC462 is defintely worth the power cable upgrade over the factory-supplied cable.

Delighted to be a member of the MC462 club!

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 11-23-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
I have owned my new MC462 for about seven weeks. It was purchased as an upgrade from an MC302 and I am using it to drive my Wilson Audio Yvettes which I have enjoyed greatly for the last two years. The MC462 sounded great out of the box, but there appears to be a bit of a 'burn in' period during which it blossums into its full glory ... ~ 70+ hours. The MC462 has great grip in the bass and mid-bass, however the nuances and ultimate sweetness in the upper midrange become more obvious after a bit of use. I am using Transparent speaker cables and a G5 power cable. The MC462 is defintely worth the power cable upgrade over the factory-supplied cable.

That is great Bob, I too am finding similar hours for break in, just upgraded power cable and Balanced interconnects.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post

Hi Bob, how do you feel the MC462 compares to the MC302? I have the MC302 and have considered a similar upgrade.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsub View Post
Hi Bob, how do you feel the MC462 compares to the MC302? I have the MC302 and have considered a similar upgrade.
I believe that you will find that the MC462 has greater grip and tighter response in the bass and midbass (e.g., more realistic tympani rolls), a less colored midrange and upper midrange, and a larger, more open deeper sound stage than the MC302. Yvettes are particularly good at revealing the sense of space and the body of instruments and vocalists within the sound stage (when the source material warrants). The 302 is the slightly 'darker' and warmer of the two and some might prefer that depending on the speakers that are in use. A superior recording of a piano will reveal the differences in attack and resonance between the two amps pretty quickly. One comparison that I use is a Blu-ray of a Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas program (from a few years ago) that projects an impressive sound stage wall-to-wall and floor to ceiling in two channel playback (using an Oppo UDP-205). During a few of the carols there are bell ringers standing on the risers between sections of the choir. The individual ringers are more distinctly placed physically in the sound field with the new amp. Many of the voices can be individually followed. A rather stunning effect, actually. The MC462 rides out the big moments with greater ease.

Either amp is a desirable piece, deserves an upgraded power cord and benefits from quality balanced interconnects.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 11-28-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Slightly modify wording in last sentence.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM

Very useful, thanks Bob!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM

I just purchased a 462. What do you guys recommend for a power cable upgrade? Is it worth to get a power conditioner as well if I get an upgraded power cable or is it overkill?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM

I was using a Transparent wall mounted powerbank 2 plus their premium power cord on my 452’s. Can’t comment specifically on the effect as I was using those power cables for all the components, def heard a difference on the preamp so just made it a system wide decision. I was told to plug amp directly into the wall and not through a power conditioner due to power draw if that makes sense
Old 02-15-2019, 02:16 PM

I'm looking at the C2600 preamp for my setup as well. What cables does everyone recommend? I was looking at the rocket 44 cables. Are these worth it or should I just use my mogami with neutrik connector cables?