AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 AM

Congratulations! I've had mine nearly 2 years now & love it. I initially used it with my Accuphase E450 as the power amp, and as you say it added just the right amount of the valve warmth I'd been missing. I've since paired it with the Manley Snappers, and (famous last words I know ) I'm done for now

After an experiment with Psvane 12AU7's, I'm back on the stock tubes currently (too many reliability issues reported with the Psvanes for my liking), although a set of Golden Lions is calling in the future.

I also found good isolation helps, in my case thats a set of HRS Nimbus, and it loves a Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cord

Enjoy
Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Congratulations! I've had mine nearly 2 years now & love it. I initially used it with my Accuphase E450 as the power amp, and as you say it added just the right amount of the valve warmth I'd been missing. I've since paired it with the Manley Snappers, and (famous last words I know ) I'm done for now

After an experiment with Psvane 12AU7's, I'm back on the stock tubes currently (too many reliability issues reported with the Psvanes for my liking), although a set of Golden Lions is calling in the future.

I also found good isolation helps, in my case thats a set of HRS Nimbus, and it loves a Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cord

Enjoy
I was happy to be able to use my VooDoo power cord on the Cary and my Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref. II XLR's
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Great looking system!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Retired

Been listening to the SLP 03 for about an hour. Was fearful that it was not going to be what I wanted as I'm not a huge fan of the 12AU7 in preamps. However, with a quad of JAN Sylvanias with about 1000hrs on them it is sublime and play very well with the CAD 572SE MKII monobloc amps. Am very impressed with the fit, fill & function this preamp. Cary has done a terrific job based on what I'm hearing thus far. The cheapo remote notwithstanding. At least it is functional.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5317.jpg (98.2 KB, 64 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Been listening to the SLP 03 for about an hour. Was fearful that it was not going to be what I wanted as I'm not a huge fan of the 12AU7 in preamps. However, with a quad of JAN Sylvanias with about 1000hrs on them it is sublime and play very well with the CAD 572SE MKII monobloc amps. Am very impressed with the fit, fill & function this preamp. Cary has done a terrific job based on what I'm hearing thus far. The cheapo remote notwithstanding. At least it is functional.

Congrats Glenn. I pulled out a Harmony 700 remote that I had not been using and reprogrammed it to control the Cary, my Rotel CD player and the Bryston BDA-1. That gives me one less remote on the table. I'm coming up on the 100 hour break-in period and the midrange is like butter. Listened to Santana's "Abraxas" on 180 gram vinyl, then Genesis "Nursery Cryme" on CD and Modern Jazz Quartet on HiRez download this afternoon and it was one of those close your eyes, sit back and enjoy moments.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Retired

Indeed. Am most pleasantly surprised that it is doing such a good job of punching so well above its class. While I will rarely use it (think remote), the volume knob feels like a $million. The tubeset in mine is the JAN Sylvania 5814 variant of the 12AU7. Zero noise or microphonics. Looking forward to spinning some vinyl, but, alas, my rig is down until next week (new tubes for the PH 302 & mounting the 2M Black from Dan). Have to survive on CDs & FM. Not a bad thing.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-03-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Congrats on the new preamps Jack and Glenn!

Cary doesn't spend much money on remote controls. My SLP-98P's remote has not been working for the last two days, even when I changed the batteries. That's the second time this has happened in the 15 months I've owned it. Last time I called Cary and they wanted me to ship the preamp AND remote to them to investigate. Fortunately, a couple days later it started working again, just as mysteriously as it stopped working.

Bottom line, great preamps with rotten remotes. Like you said though Glenn, those volume knobs are very cool!!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 PM

Congrats Glenn !
Are those the 805 monoblocks ? I have been thinking about a pair for many years....

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
Congrats Glenn. I pulled out a Harmony 700 remote that I had not been using and reprogrammed it to control the Cary, my Rotel CD player and the Bryston BDA-1. That gives me one less remote on the table.
My remote arrived functioning on only one channel, then shortly after it died altogether! Excuse my ignorance but do you need the cary remote functioning to program the Harmony remote?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Congrats Glenn !
Are those the 805 monoblocks ? I have been thinking about a pair for many years....
Thanks, Jérôme.
The monobloc amps are the Cary CAD 572SE MkII. Like the 805, is a SET amp, but uses the 572-3 or 572B power tube, which is a modern design out of Russia. There are not many around (~1000, based on my research) and the tube is out of production, so am putting a few away on the shelf. The SLP 03 and the amps are an excellent match.