AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Yes, I do experiment with loading. Even though I have settled in with 100 ohms my inner demons are always tugging my 'what if' cord.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM

I also experiment alot with loading on my ARC Ref 2 SE. Currently I use Transfiguration Phoenix cartridge and even if from to time it happens to me that 1k or even 47k seem to be more vivid, I end up switching to 100 ohm and stay there.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
IIRC when you're at the correct loading, you'll halve output. (That was a big issue yesteryear with phono stages!) It's a matter of controlling the cartridge's electrical loading and mechanical resonance. I talked about it a bit in the Doshi phono stage review (you'll have to scroll down a little).

doshi phono stage
Very good article. As I understand it - too high a setting and trebles ie cymbals will be too splashy. Too low a setting and dynamics, bass and treble will be limited. Another tradeoff situation where you have to let your ears decide what sounds most correct.
PS Mr Levy's top 10 accessory list (issue 69) is very good. L'art du son cd cleaner is my long term fav. Wish i could buy a replacement cloth exactly like the one the comes with the bottle
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
Very good article. As I understand it - too high a setting and trebles ie cymbals will be too splashy. Too low a setting and dynamics, bass and treble will be limited. Another tradeoff situation where you have to let your ears decide what sounds most correct.
PS Mr Levy's top 10 accessory list (issue 69) is very good. L'art du son cd cleaner is my long term fav. Wish i could buy a replacement cloth exactly like the one the comes with the bottle
I really don't think we appreciate loading enough because we can't load precise enough (one exception that comes to mind was John Curl's old Vendetta phono where one could adjust using a DVM, the loading under 200 ohms to the exact ohm.) Once you hear "precise" loading, one really appreciates it's no different than getting that right VTA.

I once talked to Ron Sutherland about it and there was a way to implement this precision loading in his phono stage but don't know if he ever decided to offer this option. I think in part, this is the reason we tend to fiddle with loading.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM

My C48 has various loadings options and I play a bit with them but not much. My REF2 Phono and my C1000 also had various load options.
Yet, the bet phono preamp by very far that I ever had is the Shindo Giscours. No loading selection and it sounds much better than all the others.
Keep It Simple Sir.