AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 04-01-2018, 05:28 PM

It definitely is a great DAC, no question.

What I find particularly interesting is that as our home systems become so increasingly resolving of musical nuances (just like the Yggy provides), it becomes more and more obvious that obtaining that perfect holographic reproduction is so dependent on how the original music was recorded and engineered.

I bought the Yggy as a compliment to creating a new source of streaming music (Roon/Tidal) for me. Having all these musical options immediately available only re-inforces this idea.

I love the Yggy, but there are some sources where I find vinly still superior to the Yggy, such as on certain vocal pieces.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatten View Post

I love the Yggy, but there are some sources where I find vinly still superior to the Yggy, such as on certain vocal pieces.
Absolutely. IMHO, the primary culprit is the loudness wars and compression on CDs and other digital media. You might check out the Dynamic Range Database and then search for the least compressed CD versions on Discogs.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Absolutely. IMHO, the primary culprit is the loudness wars and compression on CDs and other digital media.
For sure!! I think your right about this. I do have have several digital versions of reference quality vocals, but I do not have the LP versions of those songs for comparison . Then I have a several records that outshine the digital version on the vocals (with Tidal/Roon it’s easy to find the digital version of my LPs). But I do wonder if the digital version was mastered the same way. There are so many factors that can’t be controlled that I don’t know for sure why the record may sound better. Is it b/c its starting off as analog (as opposed to going through the DAC) or b/c it was mastered differently...? Don’t get me wrong, not all of my records are superior to digital source, far from it.

I just did an interesting comparison of “Ella and Louis” produced by Verve from the LP vs the MQA. version on Tidal (96kHz rate) through the Yggy. I would consider that a good digital version.

First of all they are both absolutely wonderful to listen to and picking them apart is really describing small nuances. The digital version has a better noise floor as would be expected. It sounds “cleaner”. Both versions are very dynamic. Both versions have excellent sepation of the vocals and trumpet. The digital version is a bit more “in your face” and the record is more laid back. I suppose this could be in part due to my use of a tube phono stage. The record presents the vocals and trumpet in a more holographic manner. It’s a little more three dimensional and palpable than the Yggy. Unfortunately, the record is introducing some sibilebce on the vocals when pushed loudly (could be my set up), even though it is still slightly preferable on the LP.

There you have it... totally inconclusive
Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Bhatten.......Please respect the original topic of my thread. If you wish to discuss particular nuances between digital and analog then kindly begin your own thread.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-06-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:02 AM

No prob... just thought that comparing the Yggy to another source provided a frame of reference that was relevant. I thought I remember that the DAC was described as analog-like in the review (which was excellent BTW). Perhaps that was somewhere in the discussions. Cheers.

Last edited by Bhatten; 04-06-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:54 AM

This has been a great thread to read.

I'd like to ask 2 questions about the Yggy please.

Are all the outputs live at once? Could you have say 3 systems coming off the yggy?

Also, can those owners elaborate more on their opinion of the USB connection vs the other connections.
I would assume AES superior? What about digital 75ohm coax?

Thanks
Jc
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player

Last edited by jwc; 04-06-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
This has been a great thread to read.

I'd like to ask 2 questions about the Yggy please.

Are all the outputs live at once? Could you have say 3 systems coming off the yggy?

All three outputs are on the Gungnir and the manual specifically mentions that. The manual for the Yggy doesn’t make mention of it at all, but I’d be surprised if all three were not.

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg
Old 04-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Yeah. The manual yggy doesn't mention about the 3 sets of outputs simultaneously. So I'm wondering if no.....or there is a compromise.
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 04-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Yes, all outputs are active and yes, you can drive multiple components with them at the same time. I have often done that with my various headphone gear.

AES/EBU is the “preferred” input according to Schiit but the USB and SPDIF are top notch as well.

One thing to watch out for: If you are using multiple outputs. The “OFF” state of various components can be unpredictable and can load the output stage of Gumby and I imagine Yggy as well. I came across that situations with one particular headphone amp that when connected to Gumby and turned OFF would cause Gumby output to distort while driving another headphones amp.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatten View Post
No prob... just thought that comparing the Yggy to another source provided a frame of reference that was relevant. I thought I remember that the DAC was described as analog-like in the review (which was excellent BTW). Perhaps that was somewhere in the discussions. Cheers.
Bhatten.......It is so easy for a thread to take off in a different direction than the original topic, then become a completely different subject as others respond. I want to keep my thread focused on the original topic. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A