AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
The fact that the speakers even require you to crank them to 300W peaks is indication enough that a tube amp is really wasn't the design center that the speakers were built around.

Like I mentioned, a Shindo preamp would mate perfectly with your amp and is the recommended route you should take.

I'm not saying you need to have two preamps. One is enough.

-M
Matt,
Interesting remark. But I have to correct you just a bit : the speakers were sounding very good with 30W. They did not "need" peaks of 300W. I just wanted them to make a real life volume and simulate a true double bass / piano and drums in the room.
Usually I don't listen at concert levels.
But I see what you mean.
A good amp / speakers matching should allow to reach concert levels at the power of the amp right ? I know that the CCQ won't be able to do that with my speakers. That's not my will since I want to keep the 2301's. Have you seen my post on the previous page ?
Ok, I'm thinking about the Masseto now ! Things become more complicated than I thought
Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The fact that the speakers even require you to crank them to 300W peaks is indication enough that a tube amp is really wasn't the design center that the speakers were built around.

Like I mentioned, a Shindo preamp would mate perfectly with your amp and is the recommended route you should take.

I'm not saying you need to have two preamps. One is enough.

-M
Jerome,

So your the first to get suck in by Alberto and Serge's Shindo frenzy. I applaud you as I'm trying to avoid it. Being a prior PMC IB2 owner I don't see your speakers pulling off the Shindo amps unless your speakers are more efficient then the IB2's. I would take Matt's advise and try a preamp first. I know when I eventually get sucked in that's the route I would go. I could get my toes wet and still drive my Princes. But you will probably suprise us all which is a good thing to. I wish you luck.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Jerome,

So your the first to get suck in by Alberto and Serge's Shindo frenzy. I applaud you as I'm trying to avoid it. Being a prior PMC IB2 owner I don't see your speakers pulling off the Shindo amps unless your speakers are more efficient then the IB2's. I would take Matt's advise and try a preamp first. I know when I eventually get sucked in that's the route I would go. I could get my toes wet and still drive my Princes. But you will probably suprise us all which is a good thing to. I wish you luck.
Nice image John !
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Matt,
What is the power of the CCQ into 4 ohms ?
35 W ?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Between $30k and $67k. The "field coil" versions are I would imagine where the magic is at and those are over $50k for the Petite and $67k for the larger version. Since we are, or at least I am used to looking at some real heft, size and modern technology (think Wilson Maxx3) for that kind of dough, one needs to be a real Shindo connoisseur to work up the appetite and courage to step up to the Shindo holy Grail speakers. With 100dB efficiency and 16 ohm impedance, these Shindo speakers will bring out the very best of any Shindo amps though.

So far I've been able to sidetrack myself from pulling the trigger. Why do you think I ordered the Tannoy Canterbury as an upgrade that will only cost me $7k to upgrade from my Kensingtons!
Thanks. I figured they were in those ballparks.

Joe
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post
I have never seen any retail prices for their speakers, what do they go for?

Joe
Hi Joe,

Shindo speakers start at $29.9k for the Petite Latour and move all the way up to $67.5k for the full size Field Coil Latour.

In total, there are 8 versions of Shindo loudspeakers, all of them incredible in their own way. Your room size/listening distance will also be a determining factor in deciding the model.

There is something quite special when you have a 2 way, large cabinet based, 100~db 16Ω speaker. You'll find that 'lower powered' (8-20wpc, depending on room size) is all you need. They can be driven to concert levels by a 10wpc amplifier, and barely break a sweat.

Even the standard Petite Latour, for example, uses Alnico based compression high frequency unit & 12" short throw paper woofer, Shindo crossover, cabinet, etc. They give you, musically, far more than other loudspeakers. You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr.

-M
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Shindo speakers start at $29.9k for the Petite Latour and move all the way up to $67.5k for the full size Field Coil Latour.

In total, there are 8 versions of Shindo loudspeakers, all of them incredible in their own way. Your room size/listening distance will also be a determining factor in deciding the model.

There is something quite special when you have a 2 way, large cabinet based, 100~db 16Ω speaker. You'll find that 'lower powered' (8-20wpc, depending on room size) is all you need. They can be driven to concert levels by a 10wpc amplifier, and barely break a sweat.

Even the standard Petite Latour, for example, uses Alnico based compression high frequency unit & 12" short throw paper woofer, Shindo crossover, cabinet, etc. They give you, musically, far more than other loudspeakers. You won't find a tweaked $99 tweeter bolted into a mineral filled methacrylate cabinet in a Shindo speaker and sold for $30k. pr.

-M
Matt, I'll have to take a flight and spend a few days on the west coast and would love to take a good listen to Shindo speakers.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Cool, calm scientist

If it were me and I had Shindo, I'd be takin' a hard look at a pair of Zu Soul Superflys...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
If it were me and I had Shindo, I'd be takin' a hard look at a pair of Zu Soul Superflys...
Now that's funny.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
That thought did cross my mind. I doubt they sound as refined as the other candidates though. I've gathered they can sound relentless with anything but a warm and fuzzy tube amp like Dynaco70 for example. Shindo deserves and requires much better than that.