AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-01-2021, 09:55 PM

I think new owner is former sales director/manger 2015-2017 .There is you tube interview
Old 02-01-2021, 10:39 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Price Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Also subsidiary companies pay management fees to the parent for any services provided by the parent, such as engineering, payroll, accounting, etc., and of course have to pay dividends to the parent using their cash.

AKA ‘Corporate Overhead’ on their P&L.

I agree, they likely have lower overall costs than within the ‘Sounds’ organizational structure. As others have hinted at, the question going forward is around how they retain/attract talent for design and engineering.

(This is not unlike Washington DC government overheads)

But it may only take one or two really sharp technical folks and clever marketing for then to thrive.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 02-01-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:54 AM

I still cannot afford any of their stuff!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-02-2021, 09:40 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis1 View Post
I agree that the new Reference 160M and 160S amps with the ghost meters are a major step in the right direction. But remember that those designs were concocted under the McIntosh Group umbrella and not under the direction of the former ARC insider. If they can do the same to the rest of the line without driving prices farther through the roof, they'll really have something. I also hope to see some solid state offerings in the near future with similar aesthetics.
The Mac Group, nee Fine Sounds Group, nee Quadrivio have owned ARC since 2008. How management fit ARC "under the umbrella" changed greatly over those years.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:05 AM

I began with ARC in 1979 with a D52B and SP6B. Through the years they made audio gear that became benchmarks and many more that have passed unnoticed into history. But they were all constructed to the highest standards and could expect to enjoy a long service life with the knowledge that a repair was only a phone call to Leonard away. The old industrial design may not have been cosmetically desirable, but form followed function, and that had a deeper attraction IMO. I do believe the new series of components sounds excellent or I would not have purchased any of them; however, their construction quality is not at the same level as previous gear, possibly because form took precedence over function. As a corollary, as my eye wanders over the Sasha DAW the quality of components and attention to detail is of the highest order. In my opinion ARC has a lot of fundamental questions to ask and answer going forward.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
The Mac Group, nee Fine Sounds Group, nee Quadrivio have owned ARC since 2008. How management fit ARC "under the umbrella" changed greatly over those years.
Not sure what that has to do with what I said. I'm not bashing ARC and I really want this American made audio company to succeed. I just see some potential road blocks. Many on here think that ARC's overall costs will go down now that they are shed of a corporate umbrella. I doubt that very much. I think they'll fall under the same position as the many small volume "boutique" brands that are out there now. Their costs will most likely go up for raw materials and components due to their reduced buying volumes and reduced price leverage. $20k + tube amplifiers have a comparatively small market in the audio world.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:25 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
I began with ARC in 1979 with a D52B and SP6B. Through the years they made audio gear that became benchmarks and many more that have passed unnoticed into history. But they were all constructed to the highest standards and could expect to enjoy a long service life with the knowledge that a repair was only a phone call to Leonard away. The old industrial design may not have been cosmetically desirable, but form followed function, and that had a deeper attraction IMO. I do believe the new series of components sounds excellent or I would not have purchased any of them; however, their construction quality is not at the same level as previous gear, possibly because form took precedence over function. As a corollary, as my eye wanders over the Sasha DAW the quality of components and attention to detail is of the highest order. In my opinion ARC has a lot of fundamental questions to ask and answer going forward.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
I still cannot afford any of their stuff!
It's coming.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
I actually liked their older industrial designs better (e.g., the Reference 75SE).
Me too! I dislike the current design language and lower build quality.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself, even if I tried.