AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Did you put the spikes on?
Yes, once I found the best spot for the bass the spikes went on.

Speakers are 102" apart, tweeter to tweeter, and are 120 inches from my ear measured tweeter to ear.

Let me clarify what I mean about "disappearing". The speakers throw a huge soundstage with great width, depth and height. Center fill voices are very solid and have body. The thing that is different from other speakers, with the exception of Quad 2805's that I owned, is that the speakers still have a presence in the soundstage. It's not a big deal, just something I may need to continue to tweak and/or get used to.

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Dave, first off , congrats !

Comment or two on your set-up..........

1) you have a room, 17x34, that most here would kill for !

2) from your pic it appears your speakers are positioned in front of the short (17') wall

3) your speaker to listening position is awfully close to that of an equilateral triangle, something that I'm not personally a fan of(requires too much toe-in for my liking)

4) given the great depth of your room could you either position your listening chair another foot or two back or bring the speakers together by a foot, thus easing the aggressive toe-in ?

FWIW, in my 14'6" x 24' listening room my speakers are 90" apart(tweeter to tweeter) and my listening position is 120" back

Kudos on the X260.8's, from another happy owner !
Old 09-30-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Dave, first off , congrats !

Comment or two on your set-up..........

1) you have a room, 17x34, that most here would kill for !

2) from your pic it appears your speakers are positioned in front of the short (17') wall

3) your speaker to listening position is awfully close to that of an equilateral triangle, something that I'm not personally a fan of(requires too much toe-in for my liking)

4) given the great depth of your room could you either position your listening chair another foot or two back or bring the speakers together by a foot, thus easing the aggressive toe-in ?

FWIW, in my 14'6" x 24' listening room my speakers are 90" apart(tweeter to tweeter) and my listening position is 120" back

Kudos on the X260.8's, from another happy owner !
Thanks Dave! Yeah when we built this house, a good listening room was a priority. It is in our basement and all the walls are solid exterior, with a 9 foot ceiling. While the room is 34' long, we do have a TV and seating area in the other part of the basement so I can't impinge on it too much. But I can definitely move the listening couch back several feet before that would happen.

You are correct, the speakers are on the 17' wall. While the picture looks like they are toed in to a great extent, I tried to follow the SF set-up process and think that they are pointing about 24" behind the listening seat. (Although I admit it is hard to know exactly given the wide baffle of the speakers.)

Before messing with speaker moves, I like your suggestion of moving my listening seat back. Much easier to try that first!

And yes, I love the X260.8's. I think they stay in Class A much of the time with these relatively efficient speakers.

Thanks,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 09-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Strads!

Dave, The final adjustments of rake angle were key to my dialing process. I used a cheap laser light that I positioned on top of each speaker along the inside edge (transition of Violin Red to black). With that, I am able to see where each speaker is aiming on the wall behind my listening position. Getting adjusting each speaker to be level and at the same rake, as defined by the laser light being the same height on my back wall were important final tweaks.

My speakers and listening position is within 1/2” of an equilateral triangle.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 09-30-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Dave, The final adjustments of rake angle were key to my dialing process. I used a cheap laser light that I positioned on top of each speaker along the inside edge (transition of Violin Red to black). With that, I am able to see where each speaker is aiming on the wall behind my listening position. Getting adjusting each speaker to be level and at the same rake, as defined by the laser light being the same height on my back wall were important final tweaks.

My speakers and listening position is within 1/2” of an equilateral triangle.
Thanks, very helpful suggestion. I forgot about using a laser pointer and will give it a try. Also good to know about your setup being close to an equilateral triangle. I appreciate the input.

Dave
Old 09-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Racing Hoopties

And my toe-in has them converging about 18”-24” behind my head. This presents the best coherence, a large soundstage and on some recordings, places the band and vocalists directly in front of me in space.

As for the Strads disappearing, it depends on the recording.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 09-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Dave,

Congratulations on your new Stradivarius speakers. Needless to say, I am a bit jealous even though I’ve never heard the Strads except briefly at shows. I currently own the Amati Futura and even though I’m very happy with them, after reading all the positive reviews about the Strad, I wish that I would have been in a position to audition them when they were still in production. By the time that I got my wife to let me buy a new pair of new speakers, the Strad was already out of production and not available at my local dealer. Incidentally, my dealer carries both Sonus Faber and Wilson, but they highly prefer Wilson in their top-of-the-line stereo setups. SF is mainly relegated in their lesser Home Theater rigs. I have to admit though that I’m not a fan of the new SF Tradition series and neither my wife or I care about Wilson even though they are highly regarded. Oh well, I guess that it’s different strokes for different folks.

Again, super congratulations on your new purchase
Old 10-01-2019, 12:45 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Strads should absolutely disappear. If they don't, you're not done yet.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Dave,

Congratulations on your new Stradivarius speakers. Needless to say, I am a bit jealous even though I’ve never heard the Strads except briefly at shows. I currently own the Amati Futura and even though I’m very happy with them, after reading all the positive reviews about the Strad, I wish that I would have been in a position to audition them when they were still in production. By the time that I got my wife to let me buy a new pair of new speakers, the Strad was already out of production and not available at my local dealer. Incidentally, my dealer carries both Sonus Faber and Wilson, but they highly prefer Wilson in their top-of-the-line stereo setups. SF is mainly relegated in their lesser Home Theater rigs. I have to admit though that I’m not a fan of the new SF Tradition series and neither my wife or I care about Wilson even though they are highly regarded. Oh well, I guess that it’s different strokes for different folks.

Again, super congratulations on your new purchase
Thanks, I appreciate the congratulations. I loved my Amati Futuras, but my room is very large and I was missing some scale and bass impact. The Futuras would have been perfect in a smaller room. Having owned both Wilson and SF, I appreciate both lines although their perspective on making music is different.

Buying 10 year old Strads used was a bit of a gamble, but in this case it paid off for me.

Regards,

Dave
Old 10-01-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Strads should absolutely disappear. If they don't, you're not done yet.

How about an all expense paid trip to Louisville? It's a great time of year to be here and we have great restaurants.