AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Burmester Audio

Burmester Audio Art for the Ear

Old 03-28-2019, 01:22 AM

Default Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
[emoji38]
I appreciate all the comments. I kinda figured the Burmester would be a good thing. My wife and I are still test driving what you might call sport/luxury SUVs. She’s had several not-so-successful back surgeries, so seating comfort is paramount for her, and low-slung vehicles not on the shopping list.

We’re also going to take a long look at the X5s as well, and to be complete the Lexus and Mercedes in this segment. But we both like the Porsche a lot.

Back when I was a young, single sailor I had a 1970 911 and it was probably a miracle I’m still around to tell the tale. Luckily, Idaho roads up around the Navy’s nuclear propulsion training area were long, straight and no traffic (or speed limits) worth paying attention to.

I’ll let you all know how it plays out. Thanks again.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:42 AM

I had a Porsche 911 Turbo with the Burmester Audio option in it and it sounded amazing. Much better than any other stock audio system I've heard. Right now I have a Mercedes C43 AMG with the Burmester option and in this car the Burmester system just isn't all that good. So it seems to vary by car or brand. I've never seen a Cayenne with the Burmester so I can't say if it sounds great or not. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Retired

Quote:
The wife is excited about driving ‘on the track’. Me, not so much.
Craig
There is a sanctioning body for racing SUV's? Can envision lots of upside-down vehicles from amateur drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettelsm View Post
Back when I was a young, single sailor I had a 1970 911 and it was probably a miracle I’m still around to tell the tale. Luckily, Idaho roads up around the Navy’s nuclear propulsion training area were long, straight and no traffic (or speed limits) worth paying attention to.
Steve Z
Another 'nuc'. I went thru Bainbridge and prototype at Combustion Engr'g in Windsor Locks, CT. Had a '65 356SC sunroof (quite rare) followed by a '73 911E. Wonderful cars for a young sailor.

With the sport exhaust on my BMW am afraid an upgraded sound system would be a waste of time. Would have to turn it up so much that it would be loud enough to drive me out of the car.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
There is a sanctioning body for racing SUV's? Can envision lots of upside-down vehicles from amateur drivers.

I suspect we will be making quick turn and stop maneuvers. Eg. drive toward three possible lanes and go where signaled and come to a complete stop.

Perhaps a skid pad activity which are always fun and some sort of ‘SUV’ type incline action to demonstrate its off road capabilities.

Generally things to demonstrate the X5 handling characteristics.

I would be surprised if we are turning laps - although that would be fun also.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I suspect we will be making quick turn and stop maneuvers. Eg. drive toward three possible lanes and go where signaled and come to a complete stop.

Perhaps a skid pad activity which are always fun and some sort of ‘SUV’ type incline action to demonstrate its off road capabilities.

Generally things to demonstrate the X5 handling characteristics.

I would be surprised if we are turning laps - although that would be fun also.

Yes. In vehicle like yours, Panic braking to show ABS, drive on mini track at speed and try to stop in box, then time on the wet skid pad (not in SUV). Also off road course in SUV. My wife had a blast with it, even in an X5
Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettelsm View Post
Wondering if any of the AA folks have heard the Burmester system in the Porsche Cayenne, and if so, what they think of it. Haven’t found a dealer with one in stock yet.

Thanks,

Steve Z

If you really want to hear great music in a car I would spend the money for quality drivers, amps and time alignment processor as a car is not an ideal environment and the drivers are not ideally located to provide the soundstage in front of you. Downside of that is the $$ and hassle. On the Cayenne I do think the Burmester option sounds best but personal call if worth it. I would consider what sources you will use - if spotify, sat ratio or god forbid FM than the source material quality is limiting factor (MP3 or worse). If you are going to play CD rips or high Rez than perhaps. Regardless I would suggest getting the thicker glass option as it significantly quiets the Cayenne cabin. My wife just got a 2019 Cayenne S and the thicker glass makes a difference

If for a 911....I don’t ever turn radio on. Between engine and road noise from tires it seems pointless....but my 911R does not come with much insulation
Old 03-28-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
If you really want to hear great music in a car I would spend the money for quality drivers, amps and time alignment processor as a car is not an ideal environment and the drivers are not ideally located to provide the soundstage in front of you. Downside of that is the $$ and hassle. On the Cayenne I do think the Burmester option sounds best but personal call if worth it. I would consider what sources you will use - if spotify, sat ratio or god forbid FM than the source material quality is limiting factor (MP3 or worse). If you are going to play CD rips or high Rez than perhaps. Regardless I would suggest getting the thicker glass option as it significantly quiets the Cayenne cabin. My wife just got a 2019 Cayenne S and the thicker glass makes a difference

If for a 911....I don’t ever turn radio on. Between engine and road noise from tires it seems pointless....but my 911R does not come with much insulation

Agree with enatai here. Btw, Some cars come with the ability to play files stored in SD cards. I am not sure if Porsche does or not. I have high resolution files stored in SD cards that play perfectly in an Audi.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 PM

One would be surprised just how capable the Cayenne and X5 are on the track with a skilled driver. When I owned the X5-M, I was blown away just how good an SUV can be given all that weight when properly designed and tuned for handling prowess. It is definitely way more capable than the skill level of the 98% of the owners of such vehicles.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:

I agree here too. I have a Cayenne Turbo with the Burmester and thicker glass option. Sounds pretty good to me especially compared to my old Audi A6 Bose...! No a shocker there but I think the Burmester system is worth getting.

Mitch
Old 03-29-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:

All good points. If we do go for a Cayenne the glass package is already on our list of must-have options. I’d plan on using many of the same high-resolution rips I enjoy in the house, but there will inevitably be some satellite radio listening for news — NPR and BBC World Service.

Thanks for the input!

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!