AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 PM

Default Watches 2018

My passion for watches rivals my love of audio. And since I’m more than happy with my 2 channel audio set up I find myself once again on the horological hunt.
About mid year I picked up SInn U1 dive watch. I’ve owned a few U1’s over the years and once again found myself drawn to this timekeeping behemoth. This time however I opted for the fully tegimented model. This is a hardening process of the steel that makes the surface very durable and scratch resistant. So far it’s help up well.

IMG_0074.jpg

Next up was a Omega Speedmaster Racing Master Chronometer. I loved this watch since its debut at Basel World in 2017 and knew I would one day have one. And finally in late September my vision came true.

IMG_5797.jpg

IMG_5798.jpg

If my 2018 watch journey would have ended with the above pieces I would have been completely happy. But thanks to my wife more was to come, for Christmas Yolanda presented me with an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch. She didn’t settle for the base Moon Watch with engraved case-back and hesitate crystal. Instead she went for the Sapphire Sandwich, an upgrade I’ll gladly accept

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

Yolanda was also thoughtful enough to arrange a exchange at the AD should I not like the Speedy. So the dealer held the warranty cards so I might do an exchange. So today I stopped at the AD to pick up my warranty cards and some other paper work when something else caught my eye. CH Premier, the selling dealer, has LOTS of eye candy for the watch lover. Brands like Omega, Panerai, IWC, A. Lange, Breguet, Bell & Ross, Carl F Bucherer, Glashutte Original, Jaeger LeCoultre, Piaget, Patek Philippe, just to name a few. So while I was waiting to be helped a strolled around the store as I usually do taking in all the lovely wristwatches. As I strolled to the back I the store a spotted a small gathering of Grand Seiko pieces. I’ve never handled one in person so there was no way I wasn’t going to fondle one, or two
All were nice but one in particular got my juices flowing, the SBGE201G, a Spring Drive GMT that’s part of their Sport Collection. I knew when I placed this on my wrist I wasn’t leaving without it.

IMG_6419.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:50 PM

You have great taste Don, I like the GS's and that's my favourite.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Congratulations! All beautiful and elegant timepieces, each in their own right. I have handled an Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch without the upgrade at the local AD, and it was amazing. The upgrade makes it simply superb. You are a fortunate man. I am glad you are getting so much enjoyment, as it seems each piece matches your aesthetic so well.
Best,
Shrinky.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:18 PM

all nice pieces Don, especially the GS !
Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
all nice pieces Don, especially the GS !

Thanks, the fit and finish for the GS price point is hard to beat. And the Spring Drive movement is something special. Too bad this doesn’t use display back like some other GS’s do. The clasp is nicely done as well. IMG_6428.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Default Watches 2018

Nicely done, Don. I’m drooling in fact. I’ve always been an Omega guy thanks to my father. He used to go to every rummage sale he found and he would ask if they had any watches. Most people never considered putting old watches out so he usually had good pickings. Your GS is top notch.

Here’s a few pages on GS from a book my wife gave me for Christmas, “A Man & His Watch”.

Enjoy!

Mike

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

Last edited by Cohibaman; 01-05-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Nicely done, Don. I’m drooling in fact. I’ve always been an Omega guy thanks to my father. He used to go to every rummage sale he found and he would ask if they had any watches. Most people never considered putting old watches out so he usually had good pickings. Your GS is top notch.

Here’s a few pages on GS from a book my wife gave me for Christmas, “A Man & His Watch”.

Enjoy!

Mike

Attachment 57676

Attachment 57677

Attachment 57678

Sounds like a great book, is this it?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-m...nek/1125984118
Old 01-06-2019, 02:03 AM

Yes sir. I smile when I’m reading it.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Yes sir. I smile when I’m reading it.

Thanks so much for mentioning this book, just ordered a copy. Will be my new “coffee table book”!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Sounds like a great book, is this it?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-m...nek/1125984118
got it for Xmas, 20 bucks @ Amazon.