AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 PM

I've owned DACs by iFi, MHDT, Auralic, Scott Nixon, Empirical Audio and I've extensively demo'd DACs from PS Audio, MSB, Bryston, Benchmark, Schiit, and a few others that escape me at the moment.

I agree with FloridaBoy - non-oversampling DACs sound the most musical. I tend to like the sound of those DACs the best. Scott Nixon, MHDT, MSB and iFi are all voiced in a more analog type of sound.

That doesn't mean that the other DACs don't sound good. They do sound good, just different. They tend to be voiced more toward high resolution, fast transients and big dynamics. IME, digital has progressed to the point that most good quality DACs are smooth. So it really comes down to voicing and presentation and resolution. And price
Old 10-19-2018, 05:27 PM

Hey Tyson - good to see you here.

Re ps audio. The DS just keeps getting better. What I just love about it is the continual support for upgrades. If you believe ‘it’s about the journey’, well this feels like you are buying a new unit every 8 months or so. Highly recommended

Oh almost forgot to mention - another upgrade is coming in a week or two.
Thanks Tim

Last edited by timm; 10-19-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:58 AM

I sure LOVE my Cary Audio DMS-500 DAC.

Detailed and rich.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:53 AM

Default demo

Gonna try the new Benchmark DAC3 B that just came out. Ships Monday. Clean and simple, no up sampling or other gizmos I did not want. They used the former 28Pro ESS chip vs the new one, said it sounds better with their implementation on this go-around. They carry a 30 day return policy. Did some reading up on the DAC1,2,3 and evolution. If it sounds musical, I might keep it. If it's overly analytical (not smooth), I'll exercise the return policy. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:31 PM

I really like my DAC3 HGC. It does an excellent job with Redbook material and of course hi-rez.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 10-20-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I really like my DAC3 HGC. It does an excellent job with Redbook material and of course hi-rez.
That's a good sign. I'm curious to know if the new generation DAC3 units are more towards the lean and detail sound or less so and more on the neutral or warm side?

I realize there are other factors but generally people will provide feedback on a/b comparisons for DACs alone when nothing else in the system has beenchanged.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:16 PM

I would characterize the DAC 3 HGC I have as very musical and neutral sounding. The DAC 3 B should sound identical since, it is! If the rest of your system is very detailed, it may not be for you. For my system it just does a great job with everything I throw at it. As always your associated gear and synergy or lack thereof will tell the final tale. Enjoy!
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I would characterize the DAC 3 HGC I have as very musical and neutral sounding. The DAC 3 B should sound identical since, it is! If the rest of your system is very detailed, it may not be for you. For my system it just does a great job with everything I throw at it. As always your associated gear and synergy or lack thereof will tell the final tale. Enjoy!
Good to know. Prior to purchase, scanning around I found several comments which described it as being "neutral". I'm glad you noted it as being "musical" in your system. I'd been looking for that description, had not found it until yours. My system teeters right on the line of neutral where it can be pushed to lean towards detailed or towards warm with a single interconnect cable change at any source. Benchmark claims there is no break-in time. Can't wait to hear it first hand in a week or so. Thx.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:34 PM

“One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”

With Benchmark’s 30 day return policy, you really can’t go wrong - if it doesn’t float your boat, send it back.

I just don’t trust DAC reviews because of confirmation bias “my Belchfire 5000 was worth every penny of the $80,000 I spent”. Also big differences between everyone’s systems makes comparisons really difficult.

Enjoy the experience!

Tom
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
“One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”

With Benchmark’s 30 day return policy, you really can’t go wrong - if it doesn’t float your boat, send it back.

I just don’t trust DAC reviews because of confirmation bias “my Belchfire 5000 was worth every penny of the $80,000 I spent”. Also big differences between everyone’s systems makes comparisons really difficult.

Enjoy the experience!

Tom

I had not looked at DACs much for the past five years. Researching again and looking at the various applications, It's interesting how some well known manufacturers will hang on to use of a former generation DAC inside (-3, -2, -1) for many years before they upgrade to a newer version DAC. And yet others are full steam ahead on the latest generation DAC. Understandably manufacturing costs having something to do with it of course, but something else appears to be happening with consumers (new to me). As I started looking into this more I've come across individuals who are seeking units with "older" DACs in them (and older designs) looking for a particular "sound" somehow implying in some way that "newer is not always better", etc. I'm guessing here some of the newer units (by some manufacturers) can be overly detailed or edgy with some brands and designs with some of the newer gen DACs and how they were/are being implemented the past 2-3 years. And, comments of latest generation designs fixing some of these issues, sort "taming" the sound closer to what I'm familiar with from some of the "polite Britt" DACS I've owned and tried. Who knows, may end right back where I started... hahah.

Hmmm... seems probable I may be rotating though a few DACs again until I find one with a good synergy with my system. Guess I have a lot to learn here to catch back up.

Last edited by decooney; 10-25-2018 at 09:35 AM.