AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 04-28-2021, 02:55 PM
Life is beautiful

Nice!
Just read some good things about the Phison A2 120SE amp.
Good catch!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-29-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
32 cubic meters!? Exactly how many American bald eagle surface areas is that??

Ok, for real though that's what - something roughly like a room 12 feet x 10 feet x 8 feet, right? That is a very small room for speakers of the Kensington/Canterbury size! I would also have concerns of being overwhelmed, very much so. The Kensington might work OK, but I'd definitely look at something even more compact (e.g. Stirlings / Sandringhams). Also look monitor speakers (Fyne Audio makes some nice ones with the Tannoy-style dual concentric). Maybe even the Autograph Mini GR
the dimensions in inches are 18x23x10. then we are about 32 square meters
Old 04-29-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tano.longo View Post
the dimensions in inches are 18x23x10. then we are about 32 square meters
Ah, OK. A room of 32 SQUARE meters is much, much, much better than 32 CUBIC meters. That is a wonderful room size for Canterbury or even larger (Westminster)! No worries of overloading the room.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Ah, OK. A room of 32 SQUARE meters is much, much, much better than 32 CUBIC meters. That is a wonderful room size for Canterbury or even larger (Westminster)! No worries of overloading the room.
As an amplifier I have both a mcintosh mc501 and an audio innovations 1000. Which of the two could be better? I seem to understand that canterburys are bad beasts for amps.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
As an amplifier I have both a mcintosh mc501 and an audio innovations 1000. Which of the two could be better? I seem to understand that canterburys are bad beasts for amps.
I couldn't say as I don't have experience with either of your amps. Both look nice! It will depend on your listening habits & preferences. Based on my experience last weekend I'd suggest you also try (if arrangeable) a SS amp without output transformers (autoformers in the case of McIntosh). If I had to guess/bet I'd still pick the McIntosh of the two, since I like lots of good clean power. But if you wanted to say focus your listening on slower music with lushest possible vocals, the 50W tube amp might be preferred.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I couldn't say as I don't have experience with either of your amps. Both look nice! It will depend on your listening habits & preferences. Based on my experience last weekend I'd suggest you also try (if arrangeable) a SS amp without output transformers (autoformers in the case of McIntosh). If I had to guess/bet I'd still pick the McIntosh of the two, since I like lots of good clean power. But if you wanted to say focus your listening on slower music with lushest possible vocals, the 50W tube amp might be preferred.
From what I understand you got the S.E. exactly like mine.
What differences did you find between Caterbury SE and Ken SE.
You advise me to switch speakers from Ken to Canterbury. Do you find that the Canterburys are difficult to manage and demanding when it comes to amplifiers?
Old 04-30-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
From what I understand you got the S.E. exactly like mine.
What differences did you find between Caterbury SE and Ken SE.
You advise me to switch speakers from Ken to Canterbury. Do you find that the Canterburys are difficult to manage and demanding when it comes to amplifiers?
With the Kensington SE, I was heavily choosing warmer balanced upstream gear & tubes (e.g. RCA, Mullards). This was to even out the balance of its treble vs. bass in my room. With the Canterbury SE it was almost the opposite; I went towards more neutral, highly detailed, even slightly bright gear (e.g. Mazda silver plates). When you do get it right with Canterbury, it will reward you with a more powerful, lifelike sound and image size than the Kensington can offer. BUT I did seem to spend more time chasing "just right" system balance.

I now wish I'd experimented more with amps when I had the Canterbury SE. All I ever ran on those was Rogue Apollo high power tube amps. It sounded great - they're good amps but now I find better options. And it's inevitably clear now on the GR, that different amps can result in very different presentations for the Canterbury! The 50 Watt tube amp should probably be very very lush on Canterbury SE. It might sound great, but will be very much warmer than neutral. That's why McIntosh option would be intriguing to me; that might be a great neutral-ish amp to pair. The GR are more detailed/neutral than the SE model and even here on GR I have recently found myself preferring a less warm / more detailed SS amp!

I don't think the Canterbury are necessary demanding of an amp with regards to power, it's just that amp pairings to them are very sensitive towards system balance/matching and personal preferences.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-30-2021 at 03:53 PM.