AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 09-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Esoteric CD/SACD/DAC powered on 24/7

I have two Esoteric K-03 CD/SACD/DAC players, one each in two different sound systems. Both are powered with power conditioners that are in turn powered by uninterruptable power supplies. In this way the K-03's never experience power outages or voltage surges when the utility power is momentarily lost and then restored. For the past year or so I have left the K-03's powered on 24/7. I don't like using the mechanical latching off/on pushbutton switch to power the units. What I discovered by leaving the K-03's powered continuously is they sound more natural and smooth, more musical and alive from the first notes. This was driven home for me about a week ago when I turned off the K-03 in the studio system after a late night listening session. I was tired. When I shut off the amps and preamp I reached and pressed the power button on the K-03 without giving it a thought. It was a couple of days later before I was back in the studio for another evening listening session when I realized I had turned off the K-03. I pressed its power button, then turned on the rest of the sound system and relaxed with my laptop computer for about 30 minutes while the system warmed up. That is my usual routine. After the half hour passed I place a familiar SACD, Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company, in the K-03's tray and pressed play. The first track is a wonderful duet with Ray and Norah Jones, "Here We Go Again" with Billy Preston on the Hammond B3. The music began and I immediately noticed what can only be described as a slight chill to the sound of the instruments as well as Ray and Norah's voices. Don't get me wrong, the SACD sounded excellent but there was a certain absence of the essence of life in the sounds that I was used to hearing. The glow of the voices and the texture of the B3's organ chords seemed slightly skewed from their true symmetrical form. Again, the performance was very good but my mind sensed the wind had changed direction by a few degrees so to speak. I am certain someone unfamiliar with the system's sound and a fully warmed K-03 would never have noticed what I caught. As the hours went on in the listening session things improved but it wasn't until the next evening, after leaving the K-03 energized overnight, that the force of a totally transparent and fully focused performance reappeared. The slight out of kilter sensation I experienced the previous night had vaporized. This experience reconfirmed to me that the Esoteric K-03's do in fact sound more natural and fully fleshed out when they are allowed to reach a stable operating temperature that is uninterrupted by periods of being turned off and going cold. In the future I am going to pay more attention to my actions and not turn the K-03's off again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-17-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Thanks Dan...I always turn off the K01X after listening, I'll pay more attention to see if I notice a difference with it powered on for a few days.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:06 PM

Dan I always turn mine off and on, and I have noticed a very slight sound difference for say maybe 30-45 minutes cd, sacd, or DAC when 1st listening. I, in most cases thought it was the amps etc.

It does seem to me even more noticeable since I now have a C500C C500T combo Vs the MX150. I guess the C500 rig is that much more revealing.

Anyway thanks for this feedback and info. Maybe most of my listening impressions that seem to sound better after a good warm up are more related to the K03 than the MAC equipment.

I have even go so far as to spin some records and they too seem great out of the gate, but to be honest I spent much more time with the K03 than the VPI. I think when I get back in town I will do some hard core A-B listening.

again thanks great info
Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Dan "roger that", my entire system remains on 24/7, there's no substitute for thermal equilibrium. Also I think it is better than using "stand-by" on the Levinson gear.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Dan, I agree that my K-03 sounds best left on all of the time.
2 channel system: Parasound JC 1+ Mono Amplifiers; Luxman C900u preamp; Acoustech PH-1P phono preamp; VPI Classic, Ortofon A90; Esoteric K-03 & Vacuum State GMBH modified Sony ES5400 SACD/CD; REVEL Ultima Salon 2; Shunyata EVEREST, Shunyata Sigma V2 XC, Shunyata Sigma & Alpha, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse Series 7 IC's,Phono Cables are Tellurium Q Silver Diamond, Audience, Lessloss, Acrolink, Teresonic Silver EXP, Tellurium Q Silver Diamond speaker cables; HyperSpike HS-5 rack;Stillpoints Ultra 5 V2 under amps & preamp
Old 09-17-2015, 05:22 PM

Dan...

I have not experienced that sort of thing with an Estoteric component but I have definitely experienced that with my MC501's so now I leave them on, with the meters off.

They sound much better when they are all warmed up and ready to go.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Hi Dan,

I always left my K-03 on 24/7 with auto power shut off disabled. I find it takes 24 hrs from cold to reach optimal.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Dan "roger that", my entire system remains on 24/7, there's no substitute for thermal equilibrium. Also I think it is better than using "stand-by" on the Levinson gear.
Tom.......I would leave the studio system on 24/7 except for the wasted hours on the 16 KT88 power tubes in the MC2301 amplifiers. I have no concern about leaving the Esoteric K-03 powered on but the MC2301's would cause me concern. It would shorten tube life unnecessarily and add operating cost by accelerating tube replacement. I do allow the amps to come up to temperature for at least 30 minutes before I get serious about listening. Most of the time I let the MR88 tuner play until I begin my listening sessions. I went down to the studio about 7:30 tonight and turned on the system to warm it up. The K-03 stays energized continuously. I am getting ready to go back down to the studio in a few more minutes to do some listening. Everything should be ready and waiting.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
Dan, I agree that my K-03 sounds best left on all of the time.
Dale.......I agree with you and audible1. My K-03 really does sound better when left powered on continuously.

I'm glad to know I am not alone with this discovery. I am already nutty enough.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Racing Hoopties

I too keep my K03x powered all the time. I don't keep everything on but should as I can definitely hear an improvement after 30mins. While okay with keeping the Esoteric on, for some reason, I feel weird keeping the rest of the components on. Can't explain it.

I suspect my C2300 is the piece that sounds better after being on ~30 mins but not sure.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 09-19-2015 at 10:14 AM.