AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Retired

Interesting take, but leaves the question open as to whether or not Mullard (and other tube mfgr's) actually did cryo-treat their tubes or tube components. Am neither a proponent or naysayer on the process. Thus far have spent $32 additional on a set of cryo'd KT88s which are still gathering hours. Can't tell any difference in the sound between cryo'd and non-cryo'd. YMMV.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Interesting take, but leaves the question open as to whether or not Mullard (and other tube mfgr's) actually did cryo-treat their tubes or tube components. Am neither a proponent or naysayer on the process. Thus far have spent $32 additional on a set of cryo'd KT88s which are still gathering hours. Can't tell any difference in the sound between cryo'd and non-cryo'd. YMMV.
Glenn.......I have never purchased any cyro'd tubes. There's plenty of claims bantered about but I don't see any substantiated verifiable benefits that come from cryogenic treatment of vacuum tubes, not to mention the unknown characteristics of what happens to a tube's internal parts after cryogenic treatment. The notion about increased longevity doesn't seem to have any documented data to support such claims. The bottom line for me is I have gotten great service and longevity from normal production tubes. I see no genuine incentive that would push me to purchase cryo'd tubes.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-10-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 PM

The article puts things in perspective, from the engineering perspective, but I was waiting for the part where the author compared various cryo and non-cryo treated tubes to report the results to the reader.

It reminds me of articles about why cables, hi-res recordings, and other audiophile tweaks/pursuits are argued as being without merit.

I've never had any cryo treated tubes so I can't speak to what the process may or may not do with regard to the sound, which is the ultimate question for me.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 09-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Semi-audiophile

The Black Diamonds have only 11:41 on them now, and I've noticed nothing new. This is mostly NPR and BDs, which sound pretty good overall. The '60s CDs are documented, and I haven't played any vinyl or laserdiscs. Even the JJs with the Transparent Plus didn't tame the CDs completely, but the combo helped.

Still unsure if I'll give the Mullards another chance (say, 40–50 hours more) or go right back to the JJs. The Mullards were certainly clean and coherent for the little time they got. If I put them back in, it may well be to try them with the brighter material specifically. But we'll see, since the bass lightened up as they got more playing time. Not good. Maybe it'll be reborn with more time?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 09-17-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, so yesterday I removed the Telfunkens and re-installed Mullards, primarily to see how they handle the '60s discs. I'm not 100% sure this is the pair that was in the line stage; I think it is. The Mullards got a dose of my usual references last night. The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra CD of Copland music sounded good, as did The Avengers on BD; this despite the low frequencies having not quite the same power the JJs have. I definitely missed their bottom end during the Soundgarden track over The Avengers' closing credits.

And then there was Rock 'n Roll Relix disc 1964–1965. This was the downfall of the Telefunkens, with their brighter sound. One thing helping the Mullards is they seem to be more focused (organized, cleaner?) in their sound. Their presentation is a bit different too, as on some songs the vocals were more subdued. But In the Midnight Hour was easier to take with the Mullards than with the Black Diamonds. Still bright, but easier. The saxophones didn't hurt quite as much to listen to.

Listening to NPR, voices had a brighter edge than with the JJs. This may be due as much to Kimber Hero ICs rather than Transparent Plus being on the tuner as anything; the Kimber is less neutral, I think. I'll have to test that by moving the TP from my SACD player temporarily one day.

I will plan to play the rest of my test material and see how things shake out. I really do intend that the Telefunkens be the last tubes I buy in terms of experiments. Either the Mullards will grow on me in the extra time I give them, or the JJs go back in and it's done. Well, there's also that ARC/C52 idea, but not yet on that.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

Ok. The Mullards have 14:51 on them. I remember what I liked about them initially. A nice crisp top, and really good detail, especially (I think) some extra transparency over the JJs; the word "clean" comes to mind. The '60s stuff went in the MCD301 (which the Mullards hadn't seen before), and the result was then a bit mixed. A bit less annoying than the Psvanes as far as brightness, but still tough to listen to. On some tracks the lead vocal was hard to hear. On better recorded material the balance between highs and lows seems nice. The low-frequencies, while not quite as much power as the JJs, are pretty satisfying thus far.

But by the time I got to a Verve anthology of Antonio Carlos Jobim (not a reference disc, I just wanted to play it), I had a headache. As an experiment, I'm going to adjust the treble and se how things are. I set it to -2 for the last track of the Jobim disc, and it didn't help much; maybe a little. I need to try that with the '60s stuff. And there are more reference DVDs to get to. It may be that I'll just have to resign myself to playing some of my music at lower volumes, but the reduced-treble experiment needs a chance first.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Wait, don't tell me your reference CD's for evaluating new tubes in a McIntosh system are 1960's remixed compilation discs you bought from a late night TV commercial. .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Wait, don't tell me your reference CD's for evaluating new tubes in a McIntosh system are 1960's remixed compilation discs you bought from a late night TV commercial. .

No, got them from Collector's Choice Music. There's also a 5-disc Rock n' Roll Relix set for the '70s, that one from Sony.

Since I listen to a variety of things, it would be reflected in the variety of material I took to any audition of gear (as it was for the C2300 audition); so it is at home. But because I have a dual-purpose system video is a major part, and I have discs for that, too. Much of the audio material, at least, is not audiophile-approved.

Last edited by prepress; 10-11-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fact correction
Old 10-17-2016, 05:49 AM
Semi-audiophile

An interesting tidbit. The Magnum Dynalab MD108T Signature and 109SE tuners use Telefunken Black Diamonds. The 109SE is MD's top-of-the-line tuner.

Given recent experimenting with power cords and my 2300's tone controls, perhaps I was a bit hasty with the Telefunkens . . .
Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......These tubes you are calling Telefunken are Black Diamond Telefunken Elektroakustik tubes. Telefunken Elektroakustik is a trademarked name for a particular line of JJ Tubes. They are not Telefunken tubes. There is a difference.

Last edited by jdandy; 10-17-2016 at 12:47 PM.