AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-11-2015, 08:13 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . The Harmonia Mundi Bach Edition

A two CD collection by Harmonia Mundi, compiled in 1999.

A compendium of some of the best of the Bach recordings from the remarkable Harmonia Mundi catalogue of music by Herr Bach himself. Various performers, various orchestras/groups and various venues.

This is an excellent reminder of the variety and scope of Bach's genius. All beautifully played with first class sonics.

I guess I've had this for a long time and I happily pulled it out this morning as a reminder that I need to listen to more baroque music and especially the music of Johann and sons.

And, yes Bart, it does have have some organ stuff on board.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Listening to:
The French Connection - Ravel, Debussy, Fauré, Ibert
Neville Marriner, The Academy of St-Martin-in-the-Fields

Lovely lyrical performances and nice recording.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 01-11-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Thanks, John. I'm going to get this.

Couperin, F: Apothéoses
Amandine Beyer (violin)
Gli incogniti

I just ordered this 7-dsc set by them (and Ensemble 451)--for $26!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 PM

Sibelius this evening:
Symphonies Nos 2 & 5
Minnesota Orchestra, Osmo Vänskä conducting
BIS, 24/96 from Qobuz

The Minnesota does a very nice job with Sibelius and the BIS recording is wonderful with excellent tone, imaging and depth.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Default Telemann: Tafelmusik (Musique de Table)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Starting off the work week I'm enjoying some German Baroque music.

Telemann: Tafelmusik (Musique de Table partagée en Trois Productions) performed by Reinhard Goebel's Musica Antiqua Köln

Tafelmusik (table music) is a term used since the mid-16th century for music played at feasts and banquets. The music in this 4-CD set includes late Baroque music styles such as French overtures, dace suites, quartet, concerto, trio and solo sonata. I find it very enjoyable and energetic as performed by the crack Cologne band. The recording is from 1989 on the Archiv label and sounds excellent to my ears.
Playing disc 4 of 4 to wind down the weekend.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:47 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Prokofiev - Classical Symphony No1 & Violin Concerto No2, Linn

Here is the link:

Listening to a SACD .iso rip in DSD. Very good performance by the SCO conducted by Swensen, who also is the violinist.

Review by wehecht April 3, 2006 (3 of 5 found this review helpful)
Performance: Sonics:
Prokofiev's symphony #1, named by the composer "Classical", is an invention of such joy and humor that it seems impossible to dislike. In any event it's certainly at it's most enjoyable when played with the wit and charm that Maestro Swenson and the SCO display at every turn. We usually hear the 2nd violin concerto accompanied by a full symphony orchestra for all that it's scoring is very similar to the "Classical". Frankly with the small orchestra and a soloist who spends most of his time as a conductor I wasn't sure that the concerto performance would measure up to long time favorites. In terms of sheer power perhaps it doesn't, but it's a very beautiful performance that emphasizes the lyricism that we associate with the Prokofiev of the great ballets. Swenson proves himself more than capable in his dual role as soloist and conductor and the orchestra plays with great elan. The 5 melodies are Swenson's own arrangment for violin and orchestra of pieces originally composed for voice and piano and later arranged by the composer for violin and piano. The performances are of a piece with the rest of the program, underscoring the composer's melodic gift. The sound provided by Linn (I have only listened in MC)is outstanding. The scale is perfect and the balance is very fine with the soloist placed only ever so slightly more forward than in true concert perspective. The SCO has made some fine recordings for other labels, but only Linn seems able to record them in such alluring sound.
: SA-CD.net - Prokofiev: Classical Symphony, Violin Concerto No. 2 - SCO/Swensen

Edit: @ Julian - you have this one.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 01-12-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Default Bruckner: Symphony No. 9

Just finished listening to...

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D Minor
Four-movement version
Berliner Philharmoniker, Sir Simon Rattle

This is a unique document for Bruckner lovers because it includes a convincing reconstructed final movement for the 9th symphony, one of my favorite orchestral pieces. The playing by the BPO is excellent and the live performance is intense. The icing on the cake would have been top-notch recorded sound, but that falls a tiny bit short. Overall, a good addition to any classical music library.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Henri Vieuxtemps - Complete Violin Concertos
Orchestre Philharmonique de Liège, conducted by Patrick Davin

Lovely romantic violin concertos that remind a bit of Mendelssohn's.
The composer was Belgian, the orchestra is too.

CD 1: Concerto for violin and orchestra 1 & 2
CD 2: Concerto for violin & orchestra 3 & 4

Virtuosity, heartwarming charm, these works do have it in spades.
Delicious addition to my library!

This is what Todd, aka as tsv_1, once a very active and (still) highly appreciated member in this thread, wrote about these concerts:

Good morning Gentlemen

I decided to go in a slightly different musical direction this AM, a direction Bart may be somewhat familiar with (given Vieuxtemp's stomping grounds) ... working my way through this set of highly engaging concerti by a composer who has been hailed as Paganini's successor. These are rich, warm, dare I say even sumptuous concertos with full orchestration and dazzling violin work by Misha Keylin.

Not to be overlooked.

The violin players vary from one concerto to the other in my set.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Life is beautiful

CD 3: Concerto pour violon et orchestre n°5, 6 , 7

These CDs will be played often in the next years!
Recommended for lovers of romantic violin concertos.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to a record containing two of my favorite pieces of music.

I think the album cover, being that it is an actual vinyl record, is large enough for you to read the title for yourself.

An RCA Red Seal LP recorded in 1976.

Lt. Kije is a spectacular poem set to music and this recording is worthy of the music. An excellent performance by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia. Superb sound which is in the midst of giving my little Sonus Faber speakers and JM Labs sub a real workout.

I probably prefer the Reiner/Chicago version from 20 years before, but this one really works and at its worst is only wonderful.

I love it.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .