AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 05-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
How warm/hot does your amp run?
Good question! Not as hot as my former Plinius SA250. But it could probably get your eggs ready to eat.
It runs hot. Therefore the doors are made of fabric that makes the air go through and as you can see at the pictures there are a lot of holes in the back of the furniture to make the amp breath and cool down. No problems so far.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Apexorca, I am just curious, like a typical newcomer...

Any palpable difference between your former Plinius SA-250 and present Krell Evo-402..?? I listened the Plinius SA-103 paired with some lesser tubed pre, and sound was very very captivating.

BTW, my Krell combo is consisted of Phantom pre (with active crossover onboard) and pair of Evo-400e monos, while Sonus Faber (Guarneri Memento) recently emerged as a very nice (possible) deal, instead of my present B&W 805S...

Thanx.

Last edited by Zoran; 10-15-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post

Any palpable difference between your former Plinius SA-250 and present Krell Evo-402..?? I listened the Plinius SA-103 paired with some lesser tubed pre, and sound was very very captivating.

Thanx.
Curiosity killed the cat! No, just kidding. It makes you better.

There is a difference indeed. For a start, the price. I always liked the Plinius sound. Compared to Krell 402 , the SA-250 is less focused, less detailed, less controlled. Thought, it makes the music fun, warm bodied and dynamic. The price it's god. Especially if you by a used one. 402 is more expensive.
I would say that the 402 is better in any aspect I can think of. When I bought it I compared it at home in my system agains several amps. Krell402 got the first place comfortable.
When I later tried krell evo202 it was no doubt that Krell needs Krell to really sing, at least in my set up. CAST connection makes it even better.

Plinius pre amp M16 that I used before was a little bit harsh compared to ARC ls27. ARC Ls27 and Plinius SA 250 was a god combination.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:

BTW, my Krell combo is consisted of Phantom pre (with active crossover onboard) and pair of Evo-400e monos, while Sonus Faber (Guarneri Memento) recently emerged as a very nice (possible) deal, instead of my present B&W 805S...

Thanx.
While there is no such thing as "too much power" in this hobby, aren't 400e truly overpowering the bookshelf speakers, especially if you are bypassing low frequencies with phantom crossover?

I see you are intrigued by the seductively sweet and musical sounds of SA103. I felt the same, but it didn't have that sense of control you get with Krell amps. I even thought about bi-amping with SA103 for mid-high and Krell for lows. But my Strads don't have ability to biamp.

How do you like Phantom>400e? What did you have before as comparison? I am trying to get the same setup to drive SF Strads. So, I am very curious as to your impression. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:26 PM

@Apexorca, that's the kind of answer I expect. Tnx bro.

@Steve: I can easily live with such sort of overkill, like Krell-shaped 400Wpc SS monoblock power per side. After all, this is not that too much, concerning the logarithmic nature of relation between watts and decibels, as we all know... My original intention was not to bring a number of watts, but to bring the best (available) watts.

Phantom replaced the Evo-222, while Evo-400e monos were natural upgrade (a truly great deal was offered by my Krell dealer) over previous pair of Evo-400. Differences sound wise mainly come from preamp, which is far calmer and organic, with top notch bass definition and body (with active crossover off) and great silky highs. But the major upgrade, uncomparable in any aspect with previous sound picture, came with employment of two REL Gibraltar G1 subs, of course with Phantom's active crossover on now... Frankly I am not capable enough to compare the new monoblocks versus old ones, since I changed the whole combo in a very short period of time, so can not distinguish among too many variables. I would guess that differences may be far less prominent comparing to the leap the Phantom brought in my system over "poor" Evo-222 (which was pretty decent pre altogether, but far behind the skyrocket called Krell Phantom).

My prior-Krell experience was gained around lesser amplification rigs, like Primare PRE30/Parasound Halo A-21, Rotel RC/RB-1090 combos and similar or even lesser integrades.

Last edited by Zoran; 10-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks. I also have G1 and considering getting a second one. I use the G1 crossover set at 37hz and volume 12. Strads can go very low. In my system, I won't be needing the phantom built in crossover.
I think I may have enough nudge to go for phantom. As you have, I am getting an irresistible deal on 400e and Phantom.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM

You own the G1 too? Very nice, sort of surprise since we enjoy pretty similar combinations, excluding main speakers (for now).. OK, my present source components are a good light-year behind the amps, however this is damn pricey hobby.

Yeah, I still own both kidneys, but...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
@Steve: I can easily live with such sort of overkill, like Krell-shaped 400Wpc SS monoblock power per side. After all, this is not that too much, concerning the logarithmic nature of relation between watts and decibels, as we all know... My original intention was not to bring a number of watts, but to bring the best (available) watts.
Totally agree. I had another brand 500 and 600wpc monoblocks until I heard Krell 302e. Different sounds, for sure. Some may prefer one over another. But, not all watts are created equal, and I like Krell watts
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Totally agree. I had another brand 500 and 600wpc monoblocks until I heard Krell 302e. Different sounds, for sure. Some may prefer one over another. But, not all watts are created equal, and I like Krell watts
Yeah... Something smells on discarded Mac monos, I guess like many cases around... But, to be honest, it is not that difficult to find too a vice-versa cases...

In my experience, "Krell's watts" are not the loudest perhaps (produced decibels per watt ratio depends on many other specs in particular design), but possess some kind of foundation, effortlessness and imposing authority like a few in the business - at least in my experience, I'm stressing it again..
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
But the major upgrade, uncomparable in any aspect with previous sound picture, came with employment of two REL Gibraltar G1 subs, of course with Phantom's active crossover on now...
I am 99% ready to order the Phantom, but have a question. I tried Rel G1 and JL f113. I liked G1 for music.

I also like the fact that G1 connects directly to the amplifier to take on the sound characteristics of the final signal going to the speakers. By using Phantom crossover, you are now connecting the Rels to the preamp. Did you hear a benefit either way? Theoretically, Neutrik Speakon connection would provide better integration with the mains, by getting the "same" signal.
Having built in Phantom crossover is nice but it adds 2.5k.

Another dilemma is black or silver. Black would match my system, but my dealer tells me silver has better resale value (just in case). What color do you have?

Thanks.

Last edited by SteveK; 10-24-2013 at 08:45 PM.