AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM

Default Tube preamp for Pass XA 60.8?

I enjoy my XP 22 with XA60.8 amps. It is a very dynamic, transparent, detailed, and quiet combination. However, I miss some of the liquidity, 3D, bloom, and beauty that tubes can provide.

Requirements for a tube preamp: balanced design, remote, dead quiet, liquidity of tubes without being overly warm or sweet. My budget is in the $10,00 - $15,000 range new or used. Since I am using the XP27, all I need is a line stage.

I would appreciate hearing about your specific experience with a tube preamp and XA amps, especially the XA60.8. I talked with Kent at Pass Labs and he said the XA60.8 plays well with just about any tube preamp, but he did not make any specific recommendations other than to name a few company names.

Options I am considering include ARC Ref 6SE, VAC Signature SE (used), Aric Motherload II, Ayon Auris II, Backart Labs Rhythm, Zesto Leto II.

Thanks in advance for any experience and advice you can share.

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9

Last edited by daveneumann; 01-24-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:43 AM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

I own Pass 260.8s. I use a VAC PHONO Pre. It’s an awesome combination. Kevin at VAC listens to each piece of equipment he puts out. It’s quality equipment. The VAC Renaissance Mk V Line Stage is app 12k.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
I own Pass 260.8s. I use a VAC PHONO Pre. It’s an awesome combination. Kevin at VAC listens to each piece of equipment he puts out. It’s quality equipment. The VAC Renaissance Mk V Line Stage is app 12k.
Thanks Joe. Did you audition a VAC preamp as well as the phono? While the Renaissance line stage is within my budget, if I went with VAC I would hope to stretch up to the Signature SE, maybe used.

By the way, the 260.8's are great amps, I had them before my current XA60.8.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Thanks Joe. Did you audition a VAC preamp as well as the phono? While the Renaissance line stage is within my budget, if I went with VAC I would hope to stretch up to the Signature SE, maybe used.

By the way, the 260.8's are great amps, I had them before my current XA60.8.
I didn’t audition the VAC Line stage. I had already auditioned the EMM Labs PRE and traded in my XP-22. The difference was immediately heard. I didn’t mention the EMM though as it is not within the price range you are seeking. But they are excellent.

The Signature SE would definitely be a step up. I just purchased my system, but if I upgrade my current VAC it would probably be a Statement Phono. They are really good. My dealer also carries Octave Audio. It too is a great preamp.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:59 PM

I've heard good things about the Cary SLP-05 and SLP-98.

Our member here Glenn (Formerly YB-2) has the SLP-98. You might reach out to him for his views on it.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
I didn’t audition the VAC Line stage. I had already auditioned the EMM Labs PRE and traded in my XP-22. The difference was immediately heard. I didn’t mention the EMM though as it is not within the price range you are seeking. But they are excellent.

The Signature SE would definitely be a step up. I just purchased my system, but if I upgrade my current VAC it would probably be a Statement Phono. They are really good. My dealer also carries Octave Audio. It too is a great preamp.
Thanks, Joe. I bet the Statement would be a significant step up! There are no high-end dealers within several hundred miles of where I live so unfortunately auditioning and comparison before purchase is just not possible.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
I've heard good things about the Cary SLP-05 and SLP-98.

Our member here Glenn (Formerly YB-2) has the SLP-98. You might reach out to him for his views on it.
The SLP-05 was on my original list but I became concerned when I read the measurements in Stereophile indicating a high level of noise when using balanced connections, which is what I need.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:29 PM
Retired

Interesting........... I'm moving to an Pass INT-25 Class A integrated (once it is built) sometime in March. While I would not worry about noise in any of the preamps noted, you will have some in any tube preamp. Doesn't Cary Direct offer a 30-day return policy? Tubes are noisy by comparison to solid-state, but in my many years of using tubes I've never been bothered by or even noticed same. The only time I've heard noise it has been cured by changing a pair of tubes. Tubes are inherently noisy and some more than others. While I'll be listing my SLP-98P shortly, it is strictly single-ended, so would not meet Dave's needs.

I'm not up-to-date on Manley Labs gear, but it is top notice if she offers a balanced preamp.

Also, one of the best things about tube gear is tube-rolling to tailor the sound to your wishes. At least for me. That is one reason I would not own a newer AR preamp as they use the 6H30 tube and there is essentially only one made. The old, Soviet era are available NOS, but the prices are ridiculous. While I am a fan of BAT gear, they suffer the same tube selection problem. I've always used their non-SE gear as it does not use the 6H30 but can be had with all the other bells and whistles. This said, the 6H30 may not be a problem for you. Good luck in your search. There are several small be-spoke builders who might have something to meet your needs. Puma-Cat may have a suggestion or three. Too bad Sonic Frontiers went the way of the dodo. They made terrific gear.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-24-2022, 10:30 PM

I really like my Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 pre amp. It is an early version and was redone with many higher quality parts. Glenn who was part of the team from the start and still is at Parts Connextion did the work. He did the unit for himself originally and I am glad that I ended up with it. It sounds good with my McIntosh MC-252,Klipsch RF-7II.Fosgate Signature phono stage, Hana SL cart and a Music Hall 9.1 turntable. Cheers
Old 01-25-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Interesting...Doesn't Cary Direct offer a 30-day return policy?...
I looked at the SLP-05 on Music Direct. They offered it at $6500 and they have a 60 day return policy. I decided against it because it would put me into buying more separates than I wanted to get into. I really like the tape loop though.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)