AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Old 12-08-2021, 01:03 AM
Listener in Training

Default Granite Turntable Plinth - Thoughts?

I've got a remnant of our granite countertop that could be fabricated into pieces that could sit under my Rega P6 turntable its separate power supply unit and my MC275 amp. The granite remnant is 1.125" (~2.85 cm) thick.

The idea would be to have a .25-.5" deep circular recess 1.5" in diameter where each leg would be placed. I could have wooden 'plugs' in each recess so I could screw in legs. While using Stillpoints would be very nice, I'd rather spend my money on Stillpoints (eventually) attached to the components themselves, which are the objects needing isolation.

The intent isn't for the plinths to be functional in terms of adding stability or isolation, but something that would be a cool use of the granite, although I'm introducing something that needs to be leveled (conversely, if the credenza ever sagged, the plinths would be 'level-able' by design).

I've seen a couple uses of granite plinths with big amps sitting on a floor, and would be interested in anyone's thoughts about doing this, either from experience or pitfalls that come to mind.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-08-2021, 01:58 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Don't do it....especially with a Rega.

You'd be better off with the Rega just resting on top of an IsoAcoustics ZaZen turntable platform.

BTW, granite countertops ring like a bell.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:14 AM
Listener in Training

Stephen, that's very logical given Rega's design philosophy. I wasn't aware of the acoustic properties of granite. Glad I put the idea out there! Now to figure out something else for that remnant! Thanks.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable

Last edited by 80B; 12-08-2021 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-08-2021, 03:15 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Stephen, that's very logical given Rega's design philosophy.
Yep..."low mass and stiff" are the Rega design principles their TTs are based on.

Quote:
I wasn't aware of the acoustic properties of granite. Glad I put the idea out there! Now to figure out something else for that remnant! Thanks.
Cheers.

An easy way to determine how a material behaves it to get one of those little "bare" music box mechanisms; they're only a coupla bucks. Place it on different materials, turn the handle, and you can hear first-hand just how loud various materials or "dampers", isolators, etc., will "ring" or resonate.

Norm Varney of A/V Solutions has a great YT video demonstrating that. At one point, he puts the music box mech on a granite-cabinet speaker. It's pretty darn loud...

You can check it out here:
https://youtu.be/6G4HF6wJG38

I also made a little video, too, based on Norm's video.
https://youtu.be/-b1Vzxl7-to
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-08-2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:27 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Stephen, that's very logical given Rega's design philosophy. I wasn't aware of the acoustic properties of granite. Glad I put the idea out there! Now to figure out something else for that remnant! Thanks.
Cheers.

An easy way to determine how a material behaves it to get one of those little "bare" music box mechanisms. Place it on different materials, turn the handle, and you can hear first-hand just how loud various materials or "dampers", isolators, etc., are.

Norm Varney of A/V Solutions has a great YT video demonstrating that. At one point, he puts the music box mech on a granite-cabinet speaker.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yep..."low mass and stiff" are the Rega design principles their TTs are based on.

Cheers.

An easy way to determine how a material behaves it to get one of those little "bare" music box mechanisms; they're only a coupla bucks. Place it on different materials, turn the handle, and you can hear first-hand just how loud various materials or "dampers", isolators, etc., will "ring" or resonate.

Norm Varney of A/V Solutions has a great YT video demonstrating that. At one point, he puts the music box mech on a granite-cabinet speaker. It's pretty darn loud...

I also made a little video, too, based on Norm's video.
https://youtu.be/-b1Vzxl7-to
Watched both videos and did not see granite used anywhere. The sub was described as "lined in & out with borosilicate" (glass) and the small speaker was ferro-concrete with the second vid using MDF of some sort.

I use granite shelves in my rack and under my speakers. The isolation between the granite and the shelf is a layer of anti-vibration rubber (purchased from Ivan a couple of years ago) and the isolation feet that came on the gear with the exception of my TT, under with I have Iso-Acoustic vibration pads.

I've noticed no ringing from the use of granite shelves and would not hesitate to use under a Rega to see what your ears tell you. Of all TTs, the Rega, as has been noted, is likely "the" TT which you do not want to mess with their feet in any way as are such a big design feature for the TT. But, setting the Rega on the granite may or may not work well. I would put some sort of isolation between the granite and whatever it is sitting on. Try it and see and let us know your results.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-08-2021, 06:21 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

The #1 Isolation Bases in the World use Granite, along with many other materials & patents.

https://avisolation.com/product/m3x2...base/#features

There are many reasons why these Isolation Bases, and Racks are found at every high end Show, and the most demanding systems Globally.

Full disclosure: I own 8 HRS Rack Systems, and I am also an HRS Platinum Dealer.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-08-2021, 06:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
The #1 Isolation Bases in the World use Granite, along with many other materials & patents.

https://avisolation.com/product/m3x2...base/#features

There are many reasons why these Isolation Bases, and Racks are found at every high end Show, and the most demanding systems Globally.

Full disclosure: I own 8 HRS Rack Systems, and I am also an HRS Platinum Dealer.
The HRS products are superb. In the interest of accuracy (and physics) and for the sake of the discussion, the difference between an HRS base that utilizes granite as part of its composition, and a solid piece of granite (which will ring, just put a music box mech on it and turn the crank) is that the HRS base is comprised of several different layers of materials to provide constrained layer damping.

As such, these aren't the same supports, they have very different compositions, and they will have a very different response to imparted power or vibration. So, respectfully, in the interests of accuracy, we're comparing apples and oranges here.

I use the HRS Nimbus spacers and couplers, and they work very well under components that are minimally internally damped. In fact, I put a set under the Constellation Inspiration integrated a couple days ago, and Wowsa!

80B, certainly you should decide for yourself which platform sounds the best. If I may, I'd like to suggest an experiment for your consideration:

Get one of those IKEA Aptitlig bamboo cutting boards; the ones with three layers that has the bamboo running horizontally in the top and bottom layers and vertically in the middle layer. They're only 20 bucks. These work very well as a platform for a TT.

shorturl.at/mJR05

Place it on four Herbie's Tenderfoot footers; these are only $15/each.
shorturl.at/iqKY8

Put your sweet P6 on it, give it a good listen, then place your P6, on your granite base, give it a good listen, and see what you prefer.

Oh, and you can measure imparted vibration by getting the iPhone app, Vibsensor. Just place your phone on it and will measure imparted power RMS, as well as other metrics. Shown here is imparted power, RMS measured by VibSensor measuring vibration imparted by a small, homemade "slide hammer" on my rack shelf that my Schiit Gungnir DAC was resting on. Green curve is the stock Gungnir feet, red trace is the Tenderfoot, and blue are the A/V Roomservice EVPs, which work the best, but cost $90/each, and for that price, you could get the IsoAcoustics Zazen and save 140 bucks. Data plotted in JMP 15.

Another app I use for just a visual check on vibration on a rack shelf, component, speaker, speaker stand or platform, is Hamm Seismometer, also for the iPhone (free, BTW).

If you do these experiments, please let us know what you find out.

Speaking of HRS, I'm hoping to get an HRS rack in at some point for review at TAS.

Cheers.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-08-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:31 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The difference between an HRS base that utilizes granite as part of its composition, and just a piece of granite (which will ring) is that the HRS base is comprised of different layers of materials to provide constrained layer damping.

Comparing apples and oranges here...
Agreed; I just wanted to show granite being properly executed.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-08-2021, 07:02 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Agreed; I just wanted to show granite being properly executed.
Oh, yes....Mike at HRS really knows his stuff. I may do an interview with him as part of a review. Looking forward to it.