AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM

The Kleos definitely has a warmer overall tonal balance compared to the Titan. But it's really personal taste and synergy at this point. I've heard the Titan sound great in a number of systems.

But the Olympos is the grail.... That was truly a mind blowing experience.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
The Kleos definitely has a warmer overall tonal balance compared to the Titan. But it's really personal taste and synergy at this point. I've heard the Titan sound great in a number of systems.

But the Olympos is the grail.... That was truly a mind blowing experience.
Ain't that the truth, personal taste and synergy

Jeff, I should have asked my question correctly in the first place. I have a dyna XV-1 however it is close to getting time for its 3rd re-build, so might be time to try something new.

How does the Kleos tonally site next to the dyna XV-1.

My system is quite warm and full, so some additional transparency and a lighter tone will not be an issue, in fact probably welcome.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Hmmm, it's been a while since I've had the XV-1S, but those two are getting closer in sound than the XV-1S and the Kleos.

Seeing you are already pretty warm, you might really enjoy the Titan or even the Clearaudio DaVinci in your system. How do you like the Ortofon A90?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Hmmm, it's been a while since I've had the XV-1S, but those two are getting closer in sound than the XV-1S and the Kleos.

Seeing you are already pretty warm, you might really enjoy the Titan or even the Clearaudio DaVinci in your system. How do you like the Ortofon A90?
Jeff, Do you mean the xv-1s and kleos are getting closer in sound/similar in tone?

A90, wonderful cartridge. It is quite laid back and very pure sounding. I have had it for almost 20 months now. The past two months, something has softened and old xv-1 is sounding more open. I think I will be sending it back to Ortofon for a once over. I would think I have 1500 -2000 hours on it now, not sure how long replicant100 stylus is rated for?

I am getting some Nordost Tyr speaker cables next week, so I will see how much it tightens/lightens up the sound. I find my Kimber 3033 just a little too warm now, and I replaced with some old Pure Note Paragon's and they sound better, opposite to 2 years ago. Yes synergy and equipment run in - it is real :-)

Then I will see whether titan i is needed.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM

Yes....

It's really too bad one can't demo cartridges, as they are all so different.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Well I got the Kleos. the dealer was good enough to allow me to buy the Kleos and use it for 3 months. If I want to go for the Titan i / or its replacement which is due later this year I can upgrade for the price difference. That is a win win.

I bought a Lyra Helikon about 10 years ago and luved its tight mid bass drive however it was just a little too hot up higher. Nice for short periods, but ultimately fatiguing. In hindsight this said more about the tonal qualities of my system more than the cartridge being no good. It is all about synergy and too much of anything is bad.

Fast forward. Set the Kleos up in the Exclusive P3 straight arm. I like naked cartridges with the stylus protruding outward. So much easier to align and set up. Ater living with dyna XV-1 and A90 for the last 10 years i am not so nervous anymore. Touch wood.

I only have about 5 hours on it and it sounds really good. Still has that lyra dna that I remember. Fast, tight bass, open midrange and detailed upper frequencies but very pure sounding. Very good for guitar as the music leads from that frequency with this cartridge.

Soundstage is not as wide and deep as the XV-1 or A90 but has more pinpoint accuracy i guess you could call it on instruments and the players on any given track. The xv-1 and a90 are more homogenus in this aspect of the music creating a more as one view on the music

The bass on the xv-1 is bigger / fatter. The A90 a little softer. The Kleos is tauter so give the impression of better speed from the foundation of the music. The first Dire Straits album was sounding particulary sweet and fast this morning.

Lets see how it sounds after 50 hours.

ATM, highly recommended.

I like this cartrigde and it suits my system

Last edited by turntable; 07-02-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Shane congrats on the Kleos
Old 07-02-2011, 02:43 AM

Congrats Shane !
It sounds that you found a cart perfectly balanced to your system.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Man, the Kleos is sounding better and better.

i must be going deaf.

5 years ago if you said I would like Lyra cartridges and ARC phono/pre amps I would have argued you out of the room.

Or maybe more now Lyra and ARC have found a way to maintain most of their speed and transparency coupled now with some smoothness and purity.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

You're on the money... Their sound has changed over the years.