AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I hear you I've always enjoyed the research/auditioning process as well but it is very satisfying once you have your system dialed in just so and all you want to do is listen to your music and explore new music. I hope it works out just way you want it. Good luck
Thanks.

Actually, I don't like the auditioning, tweaking, tuning process. In fact, I really kind of think of it as a necessary evil. I've really never thought of myself as an audiophile, but more of a music lover alone. All this trouble with gear is very expensive, time consuming, research intensive and generally annoying. However, the investment is very much worth the payoff: extracting the most musical experience possible.

I've spent a lot of time with my dealer over the last 15 months putting a system together. But I'm just as likely to disappear from their doorstep for years once this is all done. I have done exactly that before. But they seem to like me anyway.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I got my Nova Phonomena today. Playing some albums now to get it burned in.

Still don't have an ETA on my Clearaudio Performance DC and Talisman v2.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Thanks.

Actually, I don't like the auditioning, tweaking, tuning process. In fact, I really kind of think of it as a necessary evil. I've really never thought of myself as an audiophile, but more of a music lover alone. All this trouble with gear is very expensive, time consuming, research intensive and generally annoying. However, the investment is very much worth the payoff: extracting the most musical experience possible.

I've spent a lot of time with my dealer over the last 15 months putting a system together. But I'm just as likely to disappear from their doorstep for years once this is all done. I have done exactly that before. But they seem to like me anyway.
Dean...if you have a good dealer (which it sounds like you do), they should accomodate you irrespective of how frequently and how much you spend at their establishment. That is just good business practice and will make you a loyal customer whether you are going to purchase a product from them next week or five years from now
Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I got my Nova Phonomena today. Playing some albums now to get it burned in.

Still don't have an ETA on my Clearaudio Performance DC and Talisman v2.
Dean...congrats on the Nova Phenomena Looking forward to your impressions and comparisons to the Sim 110. Thx.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Dean...congrats on the Nova Phenomena Looking forward to your impressions and comparisons to the Sim 110. Thx.
I'll tell you, out of the box and with almost no hours on it, and still using my HOMC Dynavector 20x2H, it sounds like a veil has been lifted off the music. The phono stage is dead quiet and everything just has more presence, detail, and increased musicality.

I can't wait to get my new Clearaudio rig.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Dean...if you have a good dealer (which it sounds like you do), they should accomodate you irrespective of how frequently and how much you spend at their establishment. That is just good business practice and will make you a loyal customer whether you are going to purchase a product from them next week or five years from now
I have an awesome dealer (Music For Pleasure, St. Louis). They have always treated me well.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you, out of the box and with almost no hours on it, and still using my HOMC Dynavector 20x2H, it sounds like a veil has been lifted off the music. The phono stage is dead quiet and everything just has more presence, detail, and increased musicality.

Dean...that's exciting. Glad to hear it
Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:

There really hard to beat at thier price point plus lot's of loading and gain options for most any cartridge
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM

So I am in the process of learning all I can about phono preamps (McIntosh MT10 with Talisman V2). Right now the TT is sitting next to my other equipment unable to be used. On the basis of another lead I called Jeff at A/V. Pretty frank person. After an hour tutorial (but never made me feel stupid) I really feel up to snuff. Just advice given: So when I figure out what I can do and every thing being equal, I would gravitate back to him: The trust factor has been established