AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-16-2021, 07:12 PM

Default Feeling lost what to do with new upgrade to stereo

I been offered what I paid for my McIntosh MC312 if trade in for different McIntosh amplifier

So I have 3 options:

1/. Most affordable MC830 mono blocks , may work better with panel speakers because there is no autoformer. But concerned if build quality same as rest of amplifier lineup. Maybe silly but do not want smaller power meters than on MC312. But do not know size of meter on MC830.

2/. McIntosh MC611, most expensive option, love the larger meters and style of amplifier

3/ McIntosh MC1502 , like the style reminds me of bigger MC275 but not sure if good match to MG 0.7 speakers as most forums state tubes can not work with Magnepan

Concerned as do not want to make expensive mistake, opinions /thoughts appreciated

Dan
McIntosh MR87 tuner, McIntosh D1100 as dac & preamp , McIntosh MC462 power amp, Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu for media streaming, AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB 2.0 interconnect , Magnepan MG 0.7 speakers , JL Audio Dominion d110 subwoofer
Old 02-16-2021, 09:15 PM

MC 830 = a step backwards.
MC 1502 = a nice option - but you would want to listen to one to make sure it meets your needs.
MC 611 - an easy choice

What about the MC 462? You get a bit more power and the industry-leading quad balanced circuitry similar to the MC 611.

What is lacking about the MC 312 that is causing you to look elsewhere in the line?

The $$ could be used to upgrade other parts of your chain. Just sayin’.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-16-2021, 09:48 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
What is lacking about the MC 312 that is causing you to look elsewhere in the line?
Tom
Really. Can't imagine what might be lacking with your MC312 with a pair of 0.7s. Magnepans like currrent and the MC312 should be able to supply it in spades, as would an MC462 or MC452.
Have you tried the 2ohm & 8ohm outputs to see if there is a noticeable difference?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 PM

I agree. Most would be more than happy with the MC312. We're all tempted at times in this hobby, and disappointment has become very expensive.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:58 AM

I'd be interested to know why you want to move on from the 312. I love mine and it has all the power I'll ever need. It sounds great too, identical to the 462 to my ears. The 312 flys under the radar in Mc's amp lineup, in my opinion.
Preamp: McIntosh C22 Mk V (Gold Lion Tubes)
DAC/CD/SACD: McIntosh MCD12000
Streaming Source: Aurender N10; UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch; AfterDark Project Clayx Giesemann OCXO 10MHz Reference Queen Master Clock w/ Black Modernize LPS x 2 Giesemann OCXO 10M Edition
Speakers: Canton Reference 3K
Power: 2x Dedicated 20 Amp Breakers + Whole House Surge Protection
Power Outlets: PS Audio Power Ports
Power Resonators: ADD-Powr Sorcer x4 (at service panel); ADD-Powr Wizard; ADD-Powr eau2; ADD-Powr Symphony (in network closet)
Power Distribution: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta v2 XC (Denali v2 to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom NR v10 (Amp to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 NR (Preamp to Denali v2); Shunyata Alpha v2 NR (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Venom NR v12 (Wizard to dedicated 20A Outlet); Shunyata Venom V14 Digital (Streamer and Master Clock LPS to Denali v2)
Speaker Cables: Shunyata Sigma v1; Shunyata Sigma v1 Jumpers
Audio Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 XLR (Preamp to Amp); Wireworld Gold Eclipse 8 XLR (DAC Tube and Solid State Outputs to Preamp); Shunyata Sigma USB (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Sigma v2 AES/EBU (Streamer to DAC); Shunyata Venom Ethernet (Wall Wart to EtherREGEN); Shunyata Sigma Ethernet (EtherREGEN to Streamer); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 75-Ohm BNC (AfterDark Queen Master Clock to EtherREGEN); Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 S/PDIF (Streamer to DAC)
Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS (Under Speakers); Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Under Preamp and DAC); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet and G-Links (Under Amp and Master Clock/LPS); HRS E1 Isolation Platform w/G7 Feet (Under Streamer); Shunyata DarkField Suspension System and DarkField Mini Elevators (Under Speaker Cables); IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks (Under EtherREGEN)
Noise Reduction: HRS DPX-14545 Damping Plate (On Amp and Preamp); HRS DPII-14545 Damping Plate (On DAC)
Grounding: Shunyata Alpha v3 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (DAC to Denali v2); Shunyata Delta v2 CGC/SGC Ground Cable (EtherREGEN to Denali v2)
Rack: Quadraspire SVT

Sun Room
Wireless Speaker: McIntosh RS200
Power Resonator: ADD-Powr Symphony Pro
Power Distribution: Shunyata Venom PS8 w/ Venom Defender
Power Cables: Shunyata Delta NR (Venom PS8 to Wall Outlet); Wireworld Silver Electra 7 (RS200 to Venom PS8)
Isolation: IsoAcoustics Iso-Pucks
Rack: Pangea Audio Vulcan
Old 02-17-2021, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

There is nothing lacking in the MC312 at all.

That is why I am having second thoughts to trading in the MC312.

Not sure what would be next best upgrade would be. Only preamp that I feel be a upgrade is the C1100 but used to using the bass and treble controls on the C70. Actually was not happy there is no loudness switch on the C70 like earlier versions of the C22.

Only other thing possible to upgrade is going to McIntosh MT5 turntable over the current Technics SL1500C but prefer direct drive and auto off feature.
For whatever reason no decent fully automatic turntables like we had in the 1970's 80's and 90's .

Yes for some it is heresy that I use tone controls, loudness button and desire fully automatic turntables.....
McIntosh MR87 tuner, McIntosh D1100 as dac & preamp , McIntosh MC462 power amp, Apple iPad Pro 11” M2 cpu for media streaming, AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB 2.0 interconnect , Magnepan MG 0.7 speakers , JL Audio Dominion d110 subwoofer
Old 02-17-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post
.........Yes for some it is heresy that I use tone controls, loudness button and desire fully automatic turntables.....

Shocking breach of audiophile protocol! The C 1100 is a super piece. Love mine. I still use tone controls for my digital stuff, but they are all DSP based now and live in JRiver and Roon.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-17-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post

Yes for some it is heresy that I use tone controls, loudness button and desire fully automatic turntables.....
Somewhere along the road, the "audiophile'' has lost touch with reality that he is neither recording, nor mastering the music but simply enjoying it on his end. There is nothing wrong with adding a bit of spice, salt or peppa to the music, just like there is nothing wrong with adding them to your favorite dish from your favorite restaurant and chef.

The argument of staying faithful to the source is pointless and meaningless because ALL audio gear, starting from the speakers and different acoustics in various rooms will sound different than what the music sounded like in the studio, that's not to mention that the sound engineer will have mastered with salt and peppa to his taste to sound different further still.

Enjoy the music any which way you like.

Last edited by PHC1; 02-17-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:49 PM

Dan......Here's a thought - upgrade your Sonos Connect with the Wyred 4 Sound mod. It made a significant difference in my system.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-17-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Shocking breach of audiophile protocol! The C 1100 is a super piece. Love mine. I still use tone controls for my digital stuff, but they are all DSP based now and live in JRiver and Roon.
I am using Roon, did not realize there was DSP tone control?

Dan