AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2020, 02:01 AM

Default New to Marantz - Looking for an AVP?

Having been out of the A/V/D world for many years, we've been trying desperately to catch up.

As the signature (below) shows, we presently use a Mac MX-130 as the "brains" of our stereo system. As has been pointed out by several helpful members of the AAF, the MX-130 is way behind when it comes to the latest port/input technology, so it is clearly outdated in regard to the melding of Audio, Video and Digital (A/V/D).

Perhaps it started with the acquisition of our LG OLED television or our Sony X800M2 Player, but we quickly became aware of the fact that HDMI has a pretty strong foothold in the industry. Of the three outputs on the rear of our Sony X800M2, for example, two of them are HDMI...which leads me to the point.

We just came from having a Marantz SR7103 demonstrated for us, which, according to the Magnolia rep, can serve as an Audio Video Player (AVP). I also stumbled upon the fact that it contains an integrated amplifier section, but I think that I'll leave the interpretation of this unit to you folks on the Marantz board.

In short, we would like to employ as much of our present audio gear -- which includes a new Oppo 203 -- into a "newish" 5.1 surround system. I realize that our B&W N802, N805s and our old MC300 amp will never be up to the latest in A/V/D technology, but it still sounds great, so we figure that there's still a place for all of them.

By the way, we are presently looking for a matching center speaker and, possibly, an amp that will drive it. It's the control center, pre/pro or AVP -- whatever you wish to call it --that's brought me to this forum board.

Thanks for your time and your suggestions.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections