AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 02-24-2021, 05:21 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Not sure if it's still the case but I understand that the McIntosh turntables were largely made by Clearaudio from Germany.

I have 2 Clearaudio tables at home, they are very well built, I never had any issues, they are usually fairly easy to set up (the one with tangential arm is a little more complex but I have great support assisting me).

For cartridges you can't go wrong with Lyra, the Kleos and Delos are very good models considering (I use the later). Benz Micro is another go to maker. Those should be suitable for the type of music you listen to, Benz cartridges have a bit more relaxed presentation so depends on how you like it (and rest of your system).

I don't have experience with mono cartridges, on my bucket list though, the Miyajima gets good reviews.

I'd second the earlier advices of keeping your MT10 for the time being, together with a decent cartridge it should certainly convey a very nice musical experience, especially paired with the MA12000

If you really can't pass the looks after a while then go full out there hunting for your dream table (but keep the good cartridge!)
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 07-31-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdermonkey View Post
My wife has been thoroughly amused by the comments, much appreciated. But in all seriousness it being a gift should not be taking into account to base your opinion. She is not going to be offended and actually has been looking at TT with me.

Again, this has nothing to do with sound, I’m still waiting on the MA12000. Hell the MT10 is temporarily sitting on a shelf plugged in the 205/121 system. Hopefully I will receive the isolation pads from HRS this week, and the stain guy is also scheduled to be done. Now if McIntosh would send the 12000 I will be in business. We did get the five shelf unit so some of these suggestions will be revisited. What phono amps should I be looking at?

Another big reason I was looking at the VPI is being able to have two arms and cartridges on the same setup. Changing cartridges from stereo to mono looks like quite the process. I need to spend a lot more time understanding that. Maybe just use the mono button on the amp?

Before this thread I was dead set on turning the MT10 in. Now I’m closer to 50/50, maybe even leaning towards keeping it.
I read this entire thread and I assume you kept the MT10. Just curious. I have the MT2 but found a new cartridge that comes on the MT10 and installed it. A great combination and sounds superb. FWIW I would love to have the MT10.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill