AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 05-26-2020, 07:00 AM

[QUOTE=Analog Addict;1005664]Dennis has been busy...

Untitled by Allan Shang, on Flickr

New 6V6'er running some 8417s I brought over...

And running some US made WE 350Bs sent in by a customer...

A mirror image set of QMBs running metal 6F6s

A new fresh off the bench pre amp, tentatively named the CJ5 since it will run both 6C5s and 6J5s...

And lastly, the mythical Inspire phono pre amp...

Untitled by Allan Shang, on Flickr[/QUOT

Do you know the cost of the new preamp and Phonostage
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=

Do you know the cost of the new preamp and Phonostage[/QUOTE]

I’ll bet $10k will get you the pair. [emoji6]

More seriously, contact Dennis for pricing.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:53 PM

And good luck getting a phono preamp out of him. But, as always, if you wave enough Benny's in his general direction, you'll at least get his attention, and while you have his attention, you'll want to talk fast.

As far as the 6V6'er, Straitwire can tell you more. I really liked it. After a little mod to the output sockets we ran everything from metal 6F6s to 8417s to 350B's. Everything sounded great.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM

thanks for posting the pics! Always great to see some gear, especially in these times when most of us don't have a chance to see different stuff very often.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
And good luck getting a phono preamp out of him. But, as always, if you wave enough Benny's in his general direction, you'll at least get his attention, and while you have his attention, you'll want to talk fast.

As far as the 6V6'er, Straitwire can tell you more. I really liked it. After a little mod to the output sockets we ran everything from metal 6F6s to 8417s to 350B's. Everything sounded great.
How do you get his attention.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Send a message to radioman731 on E-Bay...
Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 PM

So I've been running 4 other tube amps over the past month, one being the Inspire SE EL84. My big Inspire SE HO has been sitting in the corner. This afternoon it finally got back into play.

Immediately it was obvious this was a step or two up over all the rest. Hum levels hard to detect, such clarity to the music, separation of instruments and voices much better.

Perhaps not as lush & warm as a couple of the others. But so much more natural sounding. A joy to listen to.

Did have to turn my preamp volume control up quite a bit, this amp is much less sensitive than the others, with the other Inspire being similar.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM

As something of a latecomer to the Inspire party, I'm wondering if anyone can take ten minutes to list the attributes/tube types of Dennis's major amps, or direct me to a web page where they might all be organized for research purposes. For example, having never heard of the Inspire SE HO, I just googled it; is that the 300B amp?

I've got the Inspire FireBottle, and naturally my inclination is to think it's the best. In any case, I can't imagine (having lived with this amp for over a year now) not being able to roll output tubes. To the amp's credit, it changes colors with every output tube I have (and I have a lot). I mainly stick to KT150 and Haltron 6V6, but love rolling in a few others as mood dictates.

And now I'm reading about the (apparently) new 6V6'er, which is appealing to me only because, as mentioned, the 6v6 is emerging as one of my fave tubes in my Inspire. I was also in touch with someone offline about a Inspire 45 amp--I have a Waamamp 2a3/45 with a volume knob, and when I swap it in and run it with no preamp I absolutely love it, though I could do without the hum.

Anyhow, hoping everyone's healthy and safe. TGIF.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
As something of a latecomer to the Inspire party, I'm wondering if anyone can take ten minutes to list the attributes/tube types of Dennis's major amps, or direct me to a web page where they might all be organized for research purposes. For example, having never heard of the Inspire SE HO, I just googled it; is that the 300B amp?

I've got the Inspire FireBottle, and naturally my inclination is to think it's the best. In any case, I can't imagine (having lived with this amp for over a year now) not being able to roll output tubes. To the amp's credit, it changes colors with every output tube I have (and I have a lot). I mainly stick to KT150 and Haltron 6V6, but love rolling in a few others as mood dictates.

And now I'm reading about the (apparently) new 6V6'er, which is appealing to me only because, as mentioned, the 6v6 is emerging as one of my fave tubes in my Inspire. I was also in touch with someone offline about a Inspire 45 amp--I have a Waamamp 2a3/45 with a volume knob, and when I swap it in and run it with no preamp I absolutely love it, though I could do without the hum.

Anyhow, hoping everyone's healthy and safe. TGIF.
The SE HO is very similar to your amp. Just run 6V6's in the amp you
have. Use a 5Y3 with 6V6G's. You can use any rectifier with 6V6GT's.

You had to bring up the 45. I do love that tube and I have never seen an Inspire 45 in the used market. I recall seeing hum pots on the most recent 45 Inspires.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:38 PM

It's even more complicated. My Inspire SE HO is rated to produce 17 wpc, while other SE HO's are rated at 12 wpc, both using KT88 tubes. I believe mine is running in SE UL (ultralinear) mode vs their SE Pentode mode. There are other Inspire SE amps which produce around 9-10 watts with KT88, which I believe are running in Triode mode.

Sometimes there is nothing in the name on the amp which indicates which one it is.

Mine, which runs tubes hard and hot, sounds different when running different tubes than the others. Many with the pentode and triode versions of the amp report how much they like the sound of 6V6 output tubes in their amps. In my amp they sound shrill and harsh.

And then there are differences in the power supply and voltage rectification in some models.

There are some amps build to run different tube sets, such as EL84, 45, 2A3, 8417, and who knows how many others. Some are totally different amps which run two output tubes per channel, in parallel single-ended (PSE) mode. Some of these were designed around KT88 tubes, others around the 6V6.

It's a free for all.