AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Default The JC Verdier 845 Triode Spirit

Hello folks,

Today, I have had the privilege to talk by phone with the french HiFi Master, Mr. JC VERDIER.
Funny how sometimes we look very far for something, while we could have extraordinary things just a few miles away...( I'm referring to my quest for Shindo amps...)
JC Verdier lives 2 miles from my home and his facility is 2 miles too, but in the other direction.
Moreover, I work with a very good friend of him.
I called him to know a bit more about this pair of mono amps : http://www.jcverdier.com/leaflets/GBPDF/AMP845_GB.PDF
He has been extremely available and answered all my questions.
He was curious about the 2301's and did not say any bad word against McIntosh, something which is pretty rare unfortunately.
I will have the chance to try those amps on my system.
As a bonus, Mr. Verdier asked me about my musical tastes, and he will voice the driver tubes to fit my needs. ( For Chinese people, he makes extremely sharp sounding amps for example...)
These amps have been reviewed by the french journal "Stereo and Image" and they loved them.

More to follow...
Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Chief Toneologist

Jerome,

I had talked about lucky coincidences in my Shindo adventure (e.g. finding a Montille on Audiogon from a guy very near my house - and the only dealer on the West Coast of the US being in San Francisco) playing a big role. It sounds like you've found a similar lucky coincidence.

Mr. Verdier sounds like a first-class guy, I checked the amp specification the description:
It is an unforgettable experience to listen to our 845 amplifier for the first time, because it completely respects " the sound of the tube "in all its richness without compensation, without compromise, without special effects, and more ,without hum. For the lovers of harmonic richness of big triodes it is a revelation, rich in promise of exciting listening.
It sounds like a truly delicious amp. And I think it makes sense to have an SET in your system as opposed to another push-pull tube design.

I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. I am glad that the excitement caused by the Shindo comments has been channeled into something along the very same lines but much more practical.

Alberto
Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Jerome...looks interesting. If you are going to sample JC Verdier's amps, while you are at it, you may want to check out his turntables given your other thread for the best TT under $20K. He makes some of the highly sought after turntables and they are priced quite high here in the US. I am assuming you can get better pricing locally in France.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Jerome,

I had talked about lucky coincidences in my Shindo adventure (e.g. finding a Montille on Audiogon from a guy very near my house - and the only dealer on the West Coast of the US being in San Francisco) playing a big role. It sounds like you've found a similar lucky coincidence.

Mr. Verdier sounds like a first-class guy, I checked the amp specification the description:
It is an unforgettable experience to listen to our 845 amplifier for the first time, because it completely respects " the sound of the tube "in all its richness without compensation, without compromise, without special effects, and more ,without hum. For the lovers of harmonic richness of big triodes it is a revelation, rich in promise of exciting listening.
It sounds like a truly delicious amp. And I think it makes sense to have an SET in your system as opposed to another push-pull tube design.

I can't wait to hear more about your adventures. I am glad that the excitement caused by the Shindo comments has been channeled into something along the very same lines but much more practical.

Alberto
Thanks Alberto !
Yes, this absolutely sounds like a lucky coincidence, and I bet these monoblocks sound "delicious". And you're right : this is a true SET amp and will probably give me a real difference with the 2301's !
The ability to try them on my speakers is a major advantage.
Plus, having Mr. Verdier himself so close to me, and being able to see his world class system in his home will be an experience on its own ! I will try to report this as closely as I can here. Mr Verdier is known to have one of the most impressive system in the world.
I think I found the" French Shindo" !

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jerome...looks interesting. If you are going to sample JC Verdier's amps, while you are at it, you may want to check out his turntables given your other thread for the best TT under $20K. He makes some of the highly sought after turntables and they are priced quite high here in the US. I am assuming you can get better pricing locally in France.
Cyril,

I know that Mr. Verdier's TT is one of the best in the world.
I just don't have the room for it : the motor is rather far from the platter.
I would have to buy an other rack, but you're right, that is no big deal...
A big Verdier system may be coming....
BTW : it's funny but tube amps makers like Shindo and Verdier make TT's and not cd players....I wonder why.... !

Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Jerome....I am salivating just looking at the pics Let us know what you think. If he allows you to take pics of his system and is ok with you posting them on AA, please do so. That would be awesome
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
BTW : it's funny but tube amps makers like Shindo and Verdier make TT's and not cd players....I wonder why.... !
I think it's because they are masters of analog electronics and not digital electronics AND because they probably believe that analog sounds better anyway. The former more than the latter though - but I am guessing.

It's hard to get around printed circuit boards for CD players, something that they probably can't do in-house - and it's definitely not suitable for point-to-point wiring. So they'd have to buy transport, DACs and who knows what other electronics from someone else, put it in a box and add their own analog part of of the circuit - it would be 10% Shindo/Verdier and 90% other stuff.

Frankly, I am happy they are sticking to what they know and do best.

My MDA1000 into the Auriges and the Cortese sounds wonderfully analog to me, BTW.

Alberto

Alberto
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jerome....I am salivating just looking at the pics Let us know what you think. If he allows you to take pics of his system and is ok with you posting them on AA, please do so. That would be awesome
Oh yes Cyril, don't worry, I will be able to take pics !
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I think it's because they are masters of analog electronics and not digital electronics AND because they probably believe that analog sounds better anyway. The former more than the latter though - but I am guessing.

It's hard to get around printed circuit boards for CD players, something that they probably can't do in-house - and it's definitely not suitable for point-to-point wiring. So they'd have to buy transport, DACs and who knows what other electronics from someone else, put it in a box and add their own analog part of of the circuit - it would be 10% Shindo/Verdier and 90% other stuff.

Frankly, I am happy they are sticking to what they know and do best.

My MDA1000 into the Auriges and the Cortese sounds wonderfully analog to me, BTW.

Alberto

Alberto
Alberto,

as a MDA1000 proud owner, I have no trouble to believe you !
Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Mr. JC VERDIER will come himself to my home to set-up the 845 Triode Spirit SET monoblocks on my system. 10 days to count..... Can't wait to be there.