AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-06-2021, 02:29 PM

Default NR Cables for Source Components with a Conditioner: Why?

Brain Trust,

Please explain to me why it is recommended to use NR cables with source components that are connected to a line conditioner? I would have thought an NR cable might be used for a conditioner in that it would cleanup up some noise prior to processing by the conditioner and that XC cables would be use for source components connected to the conditioner - which would be feeding said components cleaner power.

I am new to all of this, so please break it down for me...what am I missing here?

(NOTE: I purchased a Delta NR v2 and a couple Delta XC V2 cables for my McIntosh System: MA9000, MEN220, MCD6000, and MT-5 - all fed by a MPC1500).

Thanks!
Home Theater: McIntosh MX122, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MPC1500, Oppo UDP-203, Sony VPL-VW715ES Projector, 106" Elite Screens Special Edition DarkStar screen, SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Ultra Center & Surround, and Duel SVS SB3000 subs, Audioquest RedRiver XLR, Audioquest Carbon HDMI, Audioquest NRG and Storm power cables, and Audioquest Ri1404 speaker cable with WBT-0645 banana plugs.
Home Office: McIntosh RS200
Two Channel Listing Area: McIntosh MA9000, MEN220, MT-5, MCD600, MPC1500, and XR100s. Apple Airport Express via TosLink (streaming Apple Music). McIntosh interconnects/speaker cable, Shunyata Delta NR and XC power cables, Furutech GXT-D NCR AC Receptacle/Wall Plate/Outlet Cover.

Last edited by Craig_B; 05-06-2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2021, 03:40 PM

One possible answer is to filter out noise coming back down the line from the component itself.

Another is to compliment the NR capabilities, or lack thereof sufficient degree in the non-specified conditioner.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
One possible answer is to filter out noise coming back down the line from the component itself.
Yes this is it, I think. The conditioner performs better with less noise dumped onto it. I have heard this myself with the Venom V12 Digital cord making it seem as though my Denali was reducing noise more effectively.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 05-06-2021, 06:41 PM

Last night I watched a 2 hour video of Caelin Gabriel, Shunyata President himself answer a bunch of questions. Although I'm familiar with a lot of Shunyata's design concepts since I became a fanboy a few years back, I still learned some new things. One of the things I learned is that the power cable itself can radiate noise, noise that is generated by the components! So with NR cables, the noise filters are on the end that connect to the components. This should lessen the noise that can travel down the power cable and so less noise can be radiated out by the power cable and this means less interference to nearby interconnects and such.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:29 PM
Cool, calm scientist

A quote from Caelin on why NR PCs are required for connecting to components, at the component end:
"The design of a power cable can significantly affect the reactance of these signals within the power supply. The power cable is effectively part of the primary winding of the power transformer. The transition between the various metals used in a power cable and its connectors can cause electromagnetic reflections and diode-like rectification of the noise impulses as they propagate away from the power supply. If the power cable presents a high impedance to these signals they will be reflected back into the power supply where they will intermodulate, thus increasing the high frequency noise levels of the component. Most power supply filters are ineffective at blocking very high frequency noise components and much of it is passed through to the DC rails."

In other words, one of the biggest and most impactful sources of noise in a power distribution system is the power supplies of the components themselves.

The NR filters on the Shunyata PCs prevent this from happening, so that the power distribution chain stays as clean as possible from these noise components.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-06-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackATK View Post
Last night I watched a 2 hour video of Caelin Gabriel, Shunyata President himself answer a bunch of questions. Although I'm familiar with a lot of Shunyata's design concepts since I became a fanboy a few years back, I still learned some new things. One of the things I learned is that the power cable itself can radiate noise, noise that is generated by the components! So with NR cables, the noise filters are on the end that connect to the components. This should lessen the noise that can travel down the power cable and so less noise can be radiated out by the power cable and this means less interference to nearby interconnects and such.
Do you have a link to this 2 hour video?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Do you have a link to this 2 hour video?
I think this is what is being referred to: https://youtu.be/MpAsUgv24jc
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 AM

I appreciate the feedback and the link to the video, very informative. I have ordered a few more Delta v2 NR cables that I will use for my components.
Home Theater: McIntosh MX122, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MPC1500, Oppo UDP-203, Sony VPL-VW715ES Projector, 106" Elite Screens Special Edition DarkStar screen, SVS Ultra Towers, SVS Ultra Center & Surround, and Duel SVS SB3000 subs, Audioquest RedRiver XLR, Audioquest Carbon HDMI, Audioquest NRG and Storm power cables, and Audioquest Ri1404 speaker cable with WBT-0645 banana plugs.
Home Office: McIntosh RS200
Two Channel Listing Area: McIntosh MA9000, MEN220, MT-5, MCD600, MPC1500, and XR100s. Apple Airport Express via TosLink (streaming Apple Music). McIntosh interconnects/speaker cable, Shunyata Delta NR and XC power cables, Furutech GXT-D NCR AC Receptacle/Wall Plate/Outlet Cover.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I think this is what is being referred to: https://youtu.be/MpAsUgv24jc

Thanks Puma. And also thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience in various audio forums. It has played a hand in building up my system.

Yes, that's the video I saw. I think it should be stickied.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackATK View Post
Thanks Puma. And also thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience in various audio forums. It has played a hand in building up my system.

Yes, that's the video I saw. I think it should be stickied.
Thanks, and cheers. Glad to hear it was informative and helpful to you.