AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Balanced Audio Technology

Balanced Audio Technology Balanced Design, Balanced Sound

Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I think you may be correct ... Thanks!
I couldn't help but notice you have the BAT VK-655SE ... how are you liking that bad boy? I've read a lot of great things about it but never got a chance to listen to it. Now that I really am liking the Rex II down the road I may look into a pair of those as system synergies could be at play. Any thoughts? I was also thinking about a pair of the Rex II amps but I'm afraid those might run out of steam with my listening habits!

George
I'm liking it a lot! It has a lot of grunt, it's sumptuous, has infinite dynamics and tonally speaking is very luxuriant. The bass hits down low with amazing detail and speed! It's not bright and it doesn't have the best soundstage in the world but I can't complain. A few downsides: it's big, it's hot, it's heavy and it needs two power cords. And it's very transparent (sensitive if you want) to power cords so you have to dig deep and twofold into your pockets to be happy!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple MacMini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 PM

I’m getting sucked into the very luscious sound of this Rex II preamp. It clearly doesn’t possess the detail or even the soundstage size of the Levinson but it’s just so addictive I can’t stop listening. The tonal density is off the charts. Almost seems I’m returning to my beginning. My very first high end system was a Counterpoint Sa-5000 tube preamp with a pair of very solid state Krell mono blocks and these Levinson amps were designed by a guy that worked at Krell for over 20 years. How funny!

Only down side really for me is that the Rex II does need a longer warm up than I’m used to. Actually doesn’t settle in for a little over an hour ... but once it does. WOW!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:16 PM

Nice read George!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I’m getting sucked into the very luscious sound of this Rex II preamp. It clearly doesn’t possess the detail or even the soundstage size of the Levinson but it’s just so addictive I can’t stop listening. The tonal density is off the charts. Almost seems I’m returning to my beginning. My very first high end system was a Counterpoint Sa-5000 tube preamp with a pair of very solid state Krell mono blocks and these Levinson amps were designed by a guy that worked at Krell for over 20 years. How funny!

Only down side really for me is that the Rex II does need a longer warm up than I’m used to. Actually doesn’t settle in for a little over an hour ... but once it does. WOW!
Sounds like you found a winner. A piece of gear that draws you deeper into music with its luscious sound is always better than a piece that tries to impress and leaves one cold, in my book at least. BAT makes very nice gear, I enjoyed a few years with BAT gear myself.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 PM
From the BAT cave ...

George, thank you for the very interesting review!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry but that's how things are. Actually an hour doesn't sound like much. My solid-state VK-655SE warms up in about 45 minutes... And the difference isn't one to ignore!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple MacMini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse
Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
Sorry but that's how things are. Actually an hour doesn't sound like much. My solid-state VK-655SE warms up in about 45 minutes... And the difference isn't one to ignore!
From where I am coming from the Levinson requires no warm up as the standby mode only mutes the outputs so it was basically always on. The sound is worth it though.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 AM

Well maybe more like a North Ga Spring ... LOL. Actually the No326s I had before the No52 had a touch more warmth to it just not the level of detail that I was hoping for. The No52 has crazy great detail and when I had a Vivaldi stack in my room (only for one evening) it sounded even more amazing. I think what I'm hearing here is the Rex II with a tad bit more warmth than the No52 may have more synergy with the Esoteric digital stack. That said ... the difference between the No52 and the Rex II here is more like splitting hairs and not an OMG moment. The presence and the depth of image though is less like splitting hairs and more like splitting logs!

You have a great sense of humour.
I hope you continue to enjoy the Rex II.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
Well maybe more like a North Ga Spring ... LOL. Actually the No326s I had before the No52 had a touch more warmth to it just not the level of detail that I was hoping for. The No52 has crazy great detail and when I had a Vivaldi stack in my room (only for one evening) it sounded even more amazing. I think what I'm hearing here is the Rex II with a tad bit more warmth than the No52 may have more synergy with the Esoteric digital stack. That said ... the difference between the No52 and the Rex II here is more like splitting hairs and not an OMG moment. The presence and the depth of image though is less like splitting hairs and more like splitting logs!

You have a great sense of humour.
I hope you continue to enjoy the Rex II.
Thanks! I try not to take any of this or myself too seriously! Now that I'm settling in with the Rex II I'm going to have to pick out a phono preamp ... the fun never ends!

George
Old 10-04-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I try not to take any of this or myself too seriously! Now that I'm settling in with the Rex II I'm going to have to pick out a phono preamp ... the fun never ends!

George
Hi George

I just bought a used (5-6 yr old) Rex 2 partly based on great reviews, including yours. It is being shipped tomorrow, but my concerns are the tubes. The seller (dealer) tells me all their tubes have >80% of life left in them according to the tube tester, if you can trust it. But given how difficult it is to find the REAL 6H30 DR NOS tubes and their cost ($200 each), I am now worried that the tube cost may be quite costly over time. Have you replaced the tubes yet? Also, other than going to BAT directly, are there trustable sources for the 18 tubes in this preamp? I don't have much experience in the tube world and I wonder what I got myself into. Any insight will be helpful.