AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 AM

Dear Sir.

Thank you so much for reaching out to Gryphon and explain about your encounter with The Diablo 300.

However, I am surprised you are disappointed and haven’t been informed by your dealer that it is perfectly normal with those “clicks”. But if you haven’t received any information then I understand why you are thinking that it’s a bit strange that the volume control is clicking.

The volume control is not a normal volume control. It is an attenuator with relays and the design makes it possible to play music through a maximum of two resistors. This way of designing a volume control is definitely the most purist way of designing a volume control in order to have less impact on the sound.
It shouldn’t be the volume control dictating the character of the sound.
Please see how we describe this very purist volume control in our users manual of the Diablo 300(page 15):

“Diablo Volumen control.
A unique new volumencontrol was developed for the Diablo and this new principle will in future be found in all Gryphons top of the line products. It is not a digital devise but a discrete solution based on fixed resistors in a ultra short signal path involving a very smal number of relays selected for perfect function and sonic “invisible” qualities. This technology can sometimes - depending on the material played - make a very smal clicking noise when used. This is not a sign that anything is wrong and is normal.”

I have attached the users manual as a link.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7000 View Post
Dear Sir.

Thank you so much for reaching out to Gryphon and explain about your encounter with The Diablo 300.

However, I am surprised you are disappointed and haven’t been informed by your dealer that it is perfectly normal with those “clicks”. But if you haven’t received any information then I understand why you are thinking that it’s a bit strange that the volume control is clicking.

The volume control is not a normal volume control. It is an attenuator with relays and the design makes it possible to play music through a maximum of two resistors. This way of designing a volume control is definitely the most purist way of designing a volume control in order to have less impact on the sound.
Please see how we describe this very purist volume control in our users manual of the Diablo 300(page 15):

“Diablo Volumen control.
A unique new volumencontrol was developed for the Diablo and this new principle will in future be found in all Gryphons top of the line products. It is not a digital devise but a discrete solution based on fixed resistors in a ultra short signal path involving a very smal number of relays selected for perfect function and sonic “invisible” qualities. This technology can sometimes - depending on the material played - make a very smal clicking noise when used. This is not a sign that anything is wrong and is normal.”

Thanks for posting this. For me this would be a turn-off as well for $24K or any amount. I see they plan on using it on all their top of the line products which is unfortunate only with respect to the clicking sound.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:22 AM

It never bothers me one bit.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 AM

I’ve owned two preamps that clicked through the relays. One was audible through mechanical clicking (Ayre), the other even through actual sound (Violectric). Annoying? Not really, just unusual but both were superb in their minimalist approach and performance.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Retired

My ML No. 383 clicks and I rather like that it does. Tells me it is actually doing what I ask it to when making a change.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 AM

My point exactly

Quote:
Dear Sir.

“Diablo Volumen control.

Thanks for posting this. For me this would be a turn-off as well for $24K or any amount. I see they plan on using it on all their top of the line products which is unfortunate only with respect to the clicking sound.
Legacy Audio CaliberXD,Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet with HDPlex 200W LPSU & Revelation Audio Labs Passage Cryo-Silver DC Umbilical, Esoteric P-02, D-02, Legacy PowerBloc2, Cybershaft Premium Limited v2 OP21 10 MHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Silver Power cord, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm, Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50, Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Apple MacBook Pro 15”, 6-core i9, 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSDm Audirvana+ v3, iTunes
Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM

There were some reports of the accuphase preamps also clicking in the early days of their new volume control, but I have not experienced it at all. It would drive me nuts, but reasonable minds can easily differ on this.

I just love gryphon sound though.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
My point exactly

Quote:
Dear Sir.

“Diablo Volumen control.

Legacy Audio CaliberXD,Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet with HDPlex 200W LPSU & Revelation Audio Labs Passage Cryo-Silver DC Umbilical, Esoteric P-02, D-02, Legacy PowerBloc2, Cybershaft Premium Limited v2 OP21 10 MHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Silver Power cord, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm, Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50, Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Apple MacBook Pro 15”, 6-core i9, 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSDm Audirvana+ v3, iTunes
Paul.. out of curiosity can you please let me know why you are posting my join date, stats, etc? Never seen this before on a reply.

Thanks...
Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Default Gryphon Diablo 300 - Initial Impressions

Paul7000
Join date 6-30-2018
Posts 7

Paul,
From you last post it is unclear but I believe you are quoting a response you received from Gryphon with respect to the issues you encountered during your audition.

Without that context it would appear that you are a representative of Gryphon. I do not think that is the case, but it is unclear.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 07-12-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:01 AM

Mate I can assure you I don’t work for gryphon so funny��
I went for a demo as they turned up the volume I herd this clicking sound.
I said to the sale a hole what is this noise he said oh it’s the CD sir.
I said hmmmm to myself.
I ask ask him to turn it down no click hmm
Then asked him turn it up click click click but is was very audible
He face was red when i said it’s com from the volume control.
He then said he get the store manager.
After they went away and discussed it they came back and said it’s the nature of the amp.
Ahh I said so you want 24k and I get clicking to me I didn’t seem responsible!
But maybe I am just not normal.
What pissed me off more was the sneaky salesman trying to hide it.
Anyway I got me thinking could this possibly be real as 24k for this great brand I expected more.
So I sent email to gryphon and they replied.
It is what it is but I thought it was interesting to post that’s all.
Ohh and about the dude with the join date mate just went copy and paste i didn’t take that much notice.
I can send you a Xmas card

Last edited by Subdood; 07-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.