AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM

Exciting news!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 12-30-2015, 02:11 PM

The supposed no 3 sopra speaker has been a rumour from day 1 it seems.
However my dealer and distributor I spoke with when I purchased my 2's, said there was no such thing.

Its been a while though.

Im still raving about my no 2's, but i'd surely look closer into a no 3.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 PM

I heard from a few dealers about a Sopra 3 model being in the works several months ago and that it was hopefully expected around this time. Maybe they will have a new product announcement at CES, or I suppose it's also possible that their plans have changed. Only time will tell...
Old 12-30-2015, 10:28 PM

I listened to the Focal Sopra No 2 speakers last week and thought they sounded really, really good. So good, I ordered a pair in Imperial Red. I was told by my dealer that the Red and Orange finishes in the beginning they had some problems with and that the speakers are back ordered 8 to 12 weeks. The Black and the Dogato Walnut are available much quicker. Has anyone else had this problem with ordering the Orange or Red colors. I really like the design on these speakers and figured I would go outside the box and get the Red. All of my other speakers are usually wood grain. Just curious to see if this is just the New York area or are other areas are affected as well. I would like to wish everyone a very Happy and Healthy New Year. You are a great bunch of guys.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:04 AM

Rottikid, I think you are in for a treat with those speakers.
I found that my auditions with the Sopra's were excellent and made me pull the trigger.

However, having spent alot (really alot..) of time finding the optimal speaker position for my room has made them shine even more.

I dont know much about the delivery times, I got mine in the late summer.
I bought the black demo set they had at the dealer, as I was told there would be some months waittime for all colours back then.

Im sure they will look really great in your room in red!
Congratulations & happy new year!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 AM

I heard that the red and orange finishes were most heavily ordered and therefore are taking longer to be delivered, but not that there were any problems with those finishes.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:27 PM

I ordered mine in white Sept. 3rd. They arrived exactly 3 months later. Have them set up in a temporary room while we are moving until the basement is finished off. Room is not ideal. Right out of the box in the marginal room with cold amps and zero hours they sounded marvelous in all respects just as they did in the audition.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:29 PM

Well I got a phone call from the dealer today and my speakers are due in sometime next week. I just can't wait. I will keep everyone posted. I will probably have a lot of questions about placement and trying to incorporate my M & K sub. What should I set the Low Pass Filter to. Another question off the top of my head what settings should I use for my Marantz AV Processor. Crossover for the front speakers 250hz goes to 40hz. Also Bass Sub Woofer Mode: LFE + Main or just LFE. The settings for LPF for LFE goes 250hz to 80hz. I appreciate any guidance. The Marantz AV Processor also has Audyssey which I will run for Home Theater. The processor also gives me the option to bypass all settings using Direct or Pure. I will see what give me the best sound when just listening to music. I really don't understand what to set the crossovers at. I really appreciate any and all help you guys can give me. Also could you please explain say why 250 or let's say 120 or even 40 is better. I realize to get the most out of the Sopra No 2's, I need a much better Pre Amp and Amp. I figured I would buy the best speakers I could afford that I loved and upgrade the other equipment a little at a time as I save or better yet hit the lottery. I will be eating a lot of Mac and cheese and pizza for a very long time. I figured I would start with the speakers because they are the most important. I would sincerely like to thank everyone for all there help. I have been going through some really tuff times and my music is the only thing that is holding me together along with my Rotties. I look forward to hearing from you gentleman. I have learned a lot from reading this forum.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 PM

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Focal Sopra No2 Loudspeakers
Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottikid View Post
Well I got a phone call from the dealer today and my speakers are due in sometime next week. I just can't wait. I will keep everyone posted. I will probably have a lot of questions about placement and trying to incorporate my M & K sub. What should I set the Low Pass Filter to. Another question off the top of my head what settings should I use for my Marantz AV Processor. Crossover for the front speakers 250hz goes to 40hz. Also Bass Sub Woofer Mode: LFE + Main or just LFE. The settings for LPF for LFE goes 250hz to 80hz. I appreciate any guidance. The Marantz AV Processor also has Audyssey which I will run for Home Theater. The processor also gives me the option to bypass all settings using Direct or Pure. I will see what give me the best sound when just listening to music. I really don't understand what to set the crossovers at. I really appreciate any and all help you guys can give me. Also could you please explain say why 250 or let's say 120 or even 40 is better. I realize to get the most out of the Sopra No 2's, I need a much better Pre Amp and Amp. I figured I would buy the best speakers I could afford that I loved and upgrade the other equipment a little at a time as I save or better yet hit the lottery. I will be eating a lot of Mac and cheese and pizza for a very long time. I figured I would start with the speakers because they are the most important. I would sincerely like to thank everyone for all there help. I have been going through some really tuff times and my music is the only thing that is holding me together along with my Rotties. I look forward to hearing from you gentleman. I have learned a lot from reading this forum.
I auditioned the Sopra 2's with a MAC 452 (can't remember which MAC pre) and am driving them with a pair of Bryston 7BSST2's at home. Currently running my Esoteric K-05 directly to the 7's balanced and will use a BP26 pre once setup in the permanent room. Both setups sound equally marvelous. I'm partial to the Brystons and prefer the less rounded upper end but that is just a personal choice as they were just as thrilling with the 452. I highly recommend either amp(s).