AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
G997.......Your personal experiences with Meridian, Sooloos, or any other gear for that matter are of interest to all of us. Sharing information is how we learn from each other. Kindly remember that your opinions are valued but they are certainly not the final definitive answer to anyone except perhaps you. Please help us maintain a friendly atmosphere by posting in such a manner as you would appreciate being responded to yourself. Thanks for understanding.
Thank you Dan and thank you G997 for your valued insight into your Meridian experience. I will desist from any more comments except about M. Let's enjoy the music.

howie
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Rebellious!

Howie, is there anyway you could do a simple video of the C15. Perhaps, turn on, browse music and show the swim and focus features?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Howie, is there anyway you could do a simple video of the C15. Perhaps, turn on, browse music and show the swim and focus features?
Sure. It might have to be next week though. Its the best GUI I have encountered so far.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Bill,

You seen these videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOrxpgdovEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC3rdbaaGWs

howie
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
I will clarify my listening impressions a bit so you will understand where Vivaldi needs some work IMHO.

Vivaldi stack playing from it's own CD transport, YG speakers, boulder amps - awesome silver disc! Absolute state of the art.

861v8/ID41 Sooloos streaming through DSP8000 - awesome streaming! All the reference ingredients are all here.

Vivaldi playing USB from Macbook - Pretty good, but missing the expansive soundstage and with some distorsion compared to DCS silver disc transport. Not as quiet.

Vivaldi playing through ethernet from QNAP NAS - Pretty good, but now with more distorsion and listening fatigue than USB connection from Macbook.

This is my listening experience, YMMV. There was a VERY obvious difference between doing streaming/USB with Vivaldi vs. using it's own silver disc CD transport. And this is what sets Meridian apart IMHO, they are doing reference streaming quality now. DCS still have work to do with their USB/streaming SQ.

PS. Damn I swallowed the flamebait
The only way to make an accurate comparison here is to have the 861/id41 into the Boulder amps and YG speakers. Then take s/pdif out of your 861 into the dcS. I assure you the dac in the dcS is far superior to the 861 dac.
You are comparing Sooloos to USB/MacBook, not the dcS stuff. Then you have to consider the Sooloos limitation of up-sampling and the Apodizing filter and you and I both know the answer here...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM

For me the end result is what matters. If you have to buy a Meridian 818v2 to get the vivaldi to sing like its silver disc transport then I think that only validates my experience of the Meridian actually having a state of the art streaming platform like 818v2/861v8.

Which was what I brought up.

IMHO a full DCS vivaldi stack should be able to make everything sing, including its USB input and Ethernet used for streaming audio. Otherwise why include them? I do think the price signals that you can expect every input to be the absolute state of the art.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 AM

Yet you listened to a MacBook and that defines the dcS?
Makes no sense
You are comparing apples vs. oranges
Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM

The CD transport shows the vivaldis true potential. What a system does with a USB connected macbook and a NAS is IMHO relevant as well since we are using streaming sources for the most part nowadays. My CD's are stored in the attic. No CD transport the last 10 years atleast in my system.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
The CD transport shows the vivaldis true potential. What a system does with a USB connected macbook and a NAS is IMHO relevant as well since we are using streaming sources for the most part nowadays. My CD's are stored in the attic. No CD transport the last 10 years atleast in my system.
Same here, unless I borrow one!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Seems the SE's are getting fans.

Stereophile attends SE unveiling