AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marten Loudspeakers

Marten Loudspeakers Sweden's Best

Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM

shaizada and pweg, thank you for your advice, I am leaning toward Miles V for its midrange and tweeter and may go with 2 subs, like Rhythmik or JL . Marten Form is too expensive. What do you think? Will it be better than Django, or I am moving sideways. Very difficult to make any decision without actual demo. But with marten its not possible for me to demo anything above Django line.

Last edited by myjazz123; 05-29-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Go ahead and upgrade to the Miles V. It will put you in the Heritage line with the latest crossover design and better cabinetry, especially the better internal bracing. This will provide you a better midrange to top end performance.

I've had great experience with the REL Stadium III (older subwoofer design) integrating perfectly with ceramic drivers in terms of speed and tonality. REL now has a superior subwoofer with the G1. Maybe you can add that later. You will get better bass performance than the Django at that point, especially if you do stereo subs as if feasible.

Good luck!
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM

Shaizada, Two days before price increase I pulled the trigger for Marten Bird 2.
I hope they worth the huge effort convincing my wife and big dent in my finances.
It will be about 6 week until I get them. Do the require long brake in?
Thanks for all your valuable comments.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 AM

Congrats! I LOVE the Bird 2 speakers. Break in is about 1 day at most. The drivers are mostly broken in before delivery.

What color did you get? What are the associated electronics?
We have 4 owners of Birds where I live and they all sound different. Electronics make a HUGE difference...I love it. The speakers can sound like whatever you want them to sound like. Weirdest speaker design ever!
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 AM

I decided on piano walnut color. I hope it to be my last speaker.
Shaizada, I love the sound of Djangos and based on your comments and my understanding of drivers and technology, the Birds should sound more refined, open and natural. They will be driven by plinius hiato integrated with esoteric k-01 front end. I love the sound of Plinius. After trying many brands I always come back to plinius and with Martens, Plinius sounds terrific. I liked it better than Vitus RI -100 integrated. Cables are ch acoustic and gold based KCI silkworms SE. Birds 2 should be my last speakers.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 AM

Hi All, I have a pair of Miles 5. I've had mine for about a year and half.

I found that their sound changed appreciably during burn-in and settled at around 500 hours. The rest of my system remained constant during this period and had completed its burn-in.

I have been very impressive by the speakers. They sounded amazingly quick and detailed on install. I was stunned when I listened to flamenco guitar on the 1st night. The speed of the speakers gave them explosive textural detail. Hard for me to explain, but simple string scrapes had huge impact. Dynamics from within, if that makes sense?

To begin with, however, the speakers sounded a little lean and their imaging was not quite there; all of which resolved itself during burn-in.

Here's what I experienced during burn-in…

- At around 100 hours, bass had increased. Bass continued to improve throughout burn in.
- At around 300 hours, the soundstage seemed to snap into focus and the sound had become more coherent. This was the most significant point during burn-in where I felt most gains were made.
- At 400 hours, they sounded a little off tonally. Bass seemed a little detached from the upper frequencies.
- At 500 hours, coherency had returned and imaging had become denser and more realistic. The speakers sounded richer as a result.

Sitting at around 600 hours now, I can't say that I've noticed much more change in their character.

I really love these speakers. They seem to balance great speed, detail and transparency with a beguiling (slightly warm) tone.

myjazz123, congratulations on your new Bird 2's. I'm sure that they will keep you happy for many years to come.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:10 PM

myjazz123, great choice in Piano Walnut It was between that and the Piano Cherry for me....I went with Cherry due to this wondrous burl I got in the cherry wood.

Though the Bird 2 are extremely musical, I think you will have to rethink the source. The Esoteric digital is extremely high resolution, but I feel it lacks emotional connectivity that the Birds are able to convey. I experienced your digital player over many hours in an all EAR, Marten setup.

Just something to think about. With the Djangos, the Esoteric would be JUST what the doctor ordered
Old 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Shaizada, thank you for advise, I may agree, but I will give it a listen first. I also have esoteric k-05 on hands, and being less resolving than k-01, it is more musical to my ears.
But if esoteric will not cut it, I think I may go with AESTHETIX ROMULUS Signature cdp that a lot of people raving about.

Conster, thank you for the info on a brake in, will be noted for sure. What volume level do you brake your miles with?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Conster... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM

Hi Ivan, thank you for the welcome.

myjazz123, I didn't do anything special with burn-in, just normal listening. To play it safe though, I kept the volume low/moderate for the 1st few days, but I'm not sure that I really needed to.

Regarding matching, I've found my Miles to be very revealing of the source. They improve (and come to life) with higher resolution components, but they also demand high levels of refinement in them. You will certainly hear it if something isn't quite right.

I should add that as my speakers improved in body during burn-in, so too did their presentation of higher resolution sources.