AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-26-2020, 11:42 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierm View Post
I received a call from my dealer today to tell me that they were ready to come by and finish the installation in a COVID safe manner. I was surprised a bit. When I purchased the Sabrina X speakers, and when I picked them up, I was very clear with my dealer that I did NOT want them to come and install the speaker in my house UNTIL there was a COVID procedure I would be comfortable with. I also told them that I wanted to break the speakers in for at least a couple of weeks (unlike other WA models there is no time alignment of modules or assembly required for the Sabrina X, just unbox and place). So I thought about it. I figured, one week of breaking in the speakers was better than none, and if I wait longer it might be too cold to keep windows and doors open for circulating fresh air during the installation. So I agreed to the installation, and I am glad I did.

The Wilson Audio speaker placement process brought bass back. I already have a subwoofer for low frequencies (JL Audio f113) but because my room is open both to the left and right of my listening chair it’s difficult to pressurize the room due to the combined volume being so large, plus I usually place my speakers way out into the room (about 5’-6’ from the front wall) to avoid echo reflections. But after installation I got bass that I was obviously missing from my speaker placement decision. The spatial imagery also improved to the point where singers from some of my favorite recordings had a physical presence in the room to a level not experienced before. “An actual person is singing in my living room” say my ears, even though my eyes say “nope”. That kind of real! And if I could hear into the recording where I had placed the speakers before, now I was able to hear instrument placement and definition to a higher degree than from any other speaker I have had in my room before, and I’ve had several: Sonus Faber, NHT, Goldenear, KEF, JBL, B&W.

So what did I learn today? I learned that the installation of a Wilson Audio speaker by a qualified person probably IS the most important part of the Wilson Audio experience.

I believe the speakers will continue to break in, but at this moment, I could forever live with the Sabrina X the way they are now.

It took me 31 years to be part of the Wilson Audio family. And boy I am soooo glad to be here now.

Love, love, love my Sabrina X! Best speakers I have ever owned.
Welcome to our Wilson Audio #HiFi Family. We're so happy you are with us.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:59 PM

First of all congratulations. Truth be known there's not all that much difference between the SabrinaX and the more expensive Wilson speakers. They all possess the Wilson sound which is truly excellent.

You are correct when you say the setup is very important. I am not saying that having a Wilson speaker right next to the rear wall will yield poor sound but Dave Wilson did not recommend it. Reading the OM IMO is quite important, especially for speaker placement and for relation of the speaker to your ears.

I have owned three Wilson speakers. The tweeters should not be aimed at the face but at your ears. It's is known as on axis listening. It's reproducible from speaker to speaker in the Wilson line. This separates Wilsons from all other speakers. The frequency response varies with toe in or out and with Wilson you know exactly how much. You will not hear any harshness at all with the tweeter aimed at your ear.

In addition, you should be sitting about a foot or two further from your speakers than the distance between the tweeters, not an equilateral triangle but not far from one. You want to be within the range of vocal neutrality as far as the rear wall is concerned but after this, adjust so that the bass is pleasing to you. I would get a Wilson sub test disc and listen to my bass frequencies for peaks and dips. I don't recommend an equalizer with Wilsons.

A Watchdog sub(s) will extend your bass and can also smooth out your bass. The great thing about Wilsons is the fact that they make their speakers and subs to work together. Yes, it is expensive but you have this to look forward to in the future if you want a bigger system. A Watchdog will work well with an Alexia.

Good listening and absolute congrats!

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 10-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:05 AM

I‘m struggling with myself if i should upgrade my one year old original Sabrina to SabrinaX....i updated my original ones with Diodes some weeks ago what brought a bit more controll in the bass and also a better look.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofstoneage View Post
I‘m struggling with myself if i should upgrade my one year old original Sabrina to SabrinaX....i updated my original ones with Diodes some weeks ago what brought a bit more controll in the bass and also a better look.
I am in the same boat.
Cheers,
Sid
Old 03-09-2021, 03:12 PM

Got mine 4 months prior to Sabrina X release; I am not struggling. I am not changing. Dealer wanted $5K to upgrade.
I might look into the diode upgrade. Can that be done by myself?
Old 03-09-2021, 03:14 PM

Default Tube integrated suggestions for Sabrinas

Hi,
Thinking of going back to tubes. Can someone suggest an integrated tube amp, budget of $12K USD?
I listen only to digital/streamer, so no DAC nor phono stage please.
thanks
Old 03-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchoba View Post
Hi,
Thinking of going back to tubes. Can someone suggest an integrated tube amp, budget of $12K USD?
I listen only to digital/streamer, so no DAC nor phono stage please.
thanks
The Cary SLI-80 with all the bells & whistles (max'd out with factory wiring, caps, switch, hexfred, etc., upgrades) is a terrific integrated amp. One reason I enjoyed mine so much was the ability to switch between triode & UL and roll output tubes (KT88, 6550, KT77, EL34, 7581a.......) with a simple bias adjustment. If you order new from the factory you can choose custom colors like Jaguar red or British Racing green.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-10-2021, 09:40 AM

Thanks; never considered Cary, I will check it out.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:23 AM

Maybe the Modwright KWH 225i. It’s an hybrid integrated amp. Tube preamp stage and solid state output.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:54 PM

Thanks; I was looking at Jadis; D88S or something similar... thoughts?