AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 09-25-2020, 01:19 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Has anyone heard the Sabrina X yet? Any feedback?
Hi Serge..I spent about 30 minutes listening to the Sabrina X down at Hifi Buys last week...It's a neat little speaker, sounded VERY smooth and coherent. They had it hooked up to a pretty basic system, the new NAD integrated that's gotten some press, but it wasn't an expensive system by any means. Vocals were very smooth, not a lot of low bass in their setup. My only criticism from what I heard (and this is only due to size, not quality) is that the musical presentation was very small.......the image probably reached about 4 ft. high max and wasn't the most expansive soundstage, but again, it is a very small speaker to begin with. For what it did I enjoyed it.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-25-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Hi Serge..I spent about 30 minutes listening to the Sabrina X down at Hifi Buys last week...It's a neat little speaker, sounded VERY smooth and coherent. They had it hooked up to a pretty basic system, the new NAD integrated that's gotten some press, but it wasn't an expensive system by any means. Vocals were very smooth, not a lot of low bass in their setup. My only criticism from what I heard (and this is only due to size, not quality) is that the musical presentation was very small.......the image probably reached about 4 ft. high max and wasn't the most expansive soundstage, but again, it is a very small speaker to begin with. For what it did I enjoyed it.

- Buck
Thanks for the feedback Buck. I spent a good hour or more listening to a pair of Sabrinas driven by VTL gear and setup properly. The soundstage was typical Wilson, expansive, wide, deep and with great focus and well fleshed out holographic images. Height wise I don’t recall anything specific or out of norm.

I was very much moved by the Sabrinas. Back in the day I spent time with Sophia and Sophia 2’s in my own system before moving on to Sasha and Alexias but man, they were fun speakers. Sabrina struck me as a very tuneful speaker that brought the bottom end into play extremely well. The upper bass and lower mids very superb with tubes and especially male vocals I thought. The Sabrina seemed to bring out dynamic contrast with ease, even from a tube amp and seemed to add lots of “meat to the bones of the music” which I like without sounding bloated or sluggish. The tweeter was superb for my taste and slightly diminished hearing range above 15Khz anyways which is quite normal for a guy in his 50’s....

Just a very tuneful, fun and easy to listen to speaker. I’d love to hear the newer X version to compare but could easily live with the now older Sabrina.

I’m not really looking to replace my speakers but one never knows
Old 09-25-2020, 03:25 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:

- Buck
FYI, SabrinaX should throw a very large soundstage with properly scaled images upon it. As in similar to the way a DAW does.

If the image is 4ft high and scaled like that, somethng is very off somewhere.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
FYI, SabrinaX should throw a very large soundstage with properly scaled images upon it. As in similar to the way a DAW does.

Remember to take my comments with a grain of salt in a way.........I'm used to a massive soundstage with the height of the ISIS, so it may have been more of a matter of perception from my point of view based on what I'm used to.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Remember to take my comments with a grain of salt in a way.........I'm used to a massive soundstage with the height of the ISIS, so it may have been more of a matter of perception from my point of view based on what I'm used to.

- Buck
Dear all,

I went to listen to the new SabrinaX the other day.
They did sound extremely musical and although they are quite small soundstage was more than fine.
I have listened to the original Sabrina too but in a different place so it is really hard to compare anything.
SabrinaX, TAD-E1TX-K and Magico A5 are on my short list for the moment.
I think I prefer overall the TAD Evolution speakers because of the bass and details but SabrinaX with the size, shape and choice of color looks much better in a living room. I have not heard the Magico A5 yet.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoouu View Post
Dear all,

I went to listen to the new SabrinaX the other day.
They did sound extremely musical and although they are quite small soundstage was more than fine.
I have listened to the original Sabrina too but in a different place so it is really hard to compare anything.
SabrinaX, TAD-E1TX-K and Magico A5 are on my short list for the moment.
I think I prefer overall the TAD Evolution speakers because of the bass and details but SabrinaX with the size, shape and choice of color looks much better in a living room. I have not heard the Magico A5 yet.
Philoouu, I could be incorrect but the TAD E1 is 28,000.00. The Sabrina X is 18,500.00 or two thirds the price. This is a very competitive price point so this price difference is significant.

I would not expect the X to blow the original away but the improvements will be significant and appreciated over time, probably 6 mo to a year of listening. I know there will be folks to disagree but it's obvious for me: better cabinet; better drivers; better crossover and capacitors; and very importantly better looks and much lower price.

Best

Charles
Old 10-01-2020, 12:19 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Philoouu, I could be incorrect but the TAD E1 is 28,000.00. The Sabrina X is 18,500.00 or two thirds the price. This is a very competitive price point so this price difference is significant.

I would not expect the X to blow the original away but the improvements will be significant and appreciated over time, probably 6 mo to a year of listening. I know there will be folks to disagree but it's obvious for me: better cabinet; better drivers; better crossover and capacitors; and very importantly better looks and much lower price.

Best

Charles
TAD E1‘s are now well North of $30K
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-01-2020, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Best

Charles
Hello Charles

It depends where you live. Where I live Wilson SabrinaX are more around 28 000 USD and the TAD are more around 23 000 USD so I thought it was fair to compare them. You can then imagine I prefer the TAD.

Regards
Old 10-01-2020, 04:49 AM

Obviously big difference in term of pricing if the product is imported or not...
Old 10-03-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

NAD makes fine amps, but my guess is that they are what's off with Buck's experience. My own experience matches PHC's. I've not heard the X, but spent a long time with the original Sabrinas powered by an MC275. It throws a very large soundstage when properly matched.