AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marantz

Marantz Life Amplified

Old 08-24-2020, 06:23 PM

Wow! I stand corrected! Thanks!

So if they've used "SA-12" for a lesser Reference model, I wonder what they'll call the replacement for the SA-10. Maybe they'll use a higher number?

Last edited by Crumhorn; 08-24-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Wow! I stand corrected! Thanks!

So if they've used "SA-12" for a lesser Reference model, I wonder what they'll call the replacement for the SA-10. Maybe they'll use a higher number?
That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post that the SA-12 is a lesser Reference series line but it is still part of their Reference series product eventhough the SA-12 is way cheaper than the SA-10. I'm pretty familiar with most Marantz products line. Their Reference series CD/SACD players usually start ar around $3k or $3500. And the SA-10, being the flagship model, is at $7k. Not sure what they are going to call the successor for the SA-10 but I think it will be a while until we can see the successor of the SA-10.

Marantz has ceased manufacturing CD players for their regular lines (non Reference series line aka lesser line) lately. With their regular line (lesser line) Marantz now only makes network audio players & DACs for their digital front end source components. Got a feeling that they will do the same with their Reference series line pretty soon as we all know that CD & SACD (silver discs in general) are being phased out and going away. Except when it comes to AV or movies there will be still blu-ray discs and 4K UHD discs available since they are the best source for movies (AV) compared to movie streamings. But when it comes to digital audio only or listening to digital music nowadays many audiophiles & non audiophiles have turned away from using CD and SACD discs altogether.

Many high end hifi audio manufacturers have stopped making CD/SACD players and mainly focus on building high quality digital music streamers, DACs & network audio players. Linn has ceased manufacturing CD players since 2007 and has since shifted its focus on making high end streamers/DACs. As of 2 yrs ago Naim has also ceased their high end CD player productions. Both Naim and Linn have been making high quality streamers/DACs since 2006/2007.

Last edited by Dilettante; 08-25-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
Marantz has ceased manufacturing CD players for their regular lines (non Reference series line aka lesser line) lately. With their regular line (lesser line) Marantz now only makes network audio players & DACs for their digital front end source components. Got a feeling that they will do the same with their Reference series line pretty soon as we all know that CD & SACD (silver discs in general) are being phased out and going away. Except when it comes to AV or movies there will be still blu-ray discs and 4K UHD discs available since they are the best source for movies (AV) compared to movie streamings. But when it comes to digital audio only or listening to digital music nowadays many audiophiles & non audiophiles have turned away from using CD and SACD discs altogether.

Many high end hifi audio manufacturers have stopped making CD/SACD players and mainly focus on building high quality digital music streamers, DACs & network audio players. Linn has ceased manufacturing CD players since 2007 and has since shifted its focus on making high end streamers/DACs. As of 2 yrs ago Naim has also ceased their high end CD player productions. Both Naim and Linn have been making high quality streamers/DACs since 2006/2007.

Marantz is still releasing cd players and no sign of stopping. CD5005 is current and they just released CD6007.

SA10 continues, SA12 just released.

Another reference model is also being released next week.

So 5 players in line up, 3 completely new.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
Marantz is still releasing cd players and no sign of stopping. CD5005 is current and they just released CD6007.

Do you know if the model they are releasing next week will be a replacement for the SA-10? (It's probably too late to change my SA-10 order, but I'll try if a new top-of-the-line is imminent...)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Do you know if the model they are releasing next week will be a replacement for the SA-10? (It's probably too late to change my SA-10 order, but I'll try if a new top-of-the-line is imminent...)

Yes but cannot provide more info. I can assure it is not a competitor of the SA-10 and you have made the correct purchase.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:35 AM

Thanks! I'm very glad to hear that!

I just saw a glowing review of the new Luxman D-10X - it really had me going! Wish I could afford it... ($16,500 in the U.S.)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post

You are right. Apparently Marantz discontinued the SA800x model CD/SACD players in their regular line (non Reference series line) but they are still releasing entry level CD500x & CD600x models that play only CD but not SACD. The SA800x CD/SACD player model has been ceased.
Thanks for the info. I just looked them up on the US Marantz website.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
I never managed to do it, did I... And now we have SA-12 on the horizon and all the associated posts, opinions, arguments, agreements etc.

For me, I went for PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player and PS Audio DirectStream DAC after selling my SA-7S1 because I was seduced by MQA. Might re-buy a pre-loved SA-7S1 though, as my partner misses it!

Bought a pre-loved SA-7S1...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 08-26-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
Bought a pre-loved SA-7S1...
Congrats.

I just bought a SA7-S1 today too, and also bought the matching SC-7S2 preamp. Both in mint condition.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilettante View Post
You are right. Apparently Marantz discontinued the SA800x model CD/SACD players in their regular line (non Reference series line) but they are still releasing entry level CD500x & CD600x models that play only CD but not SACD. The SA800x CD/SACD player model has been ceased.
Thanks for the info. I just looked them up on the US Marantz website.
Additionally the have the ND8600 which is a great double machine (cd and streamer).

So a total of 6 cd players.