AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 05-31-2014, 12:24 PM

Default Sooloos Media Core 200 Forced Downsampling?

Crion, or anyone else that has first-hand knowledge of the MC200 functionality...

I have been auditioning the MC200 in my home for about 2 weeks. It sounds wonderful and the GUI is truly top notch. This is something that is widely known and repeated across the internet.

What I noticed is that by default the MC200 upsamples 44.1k to 88.2k and also upsamples 48k to 96k. I'm perfectly fine with that. Unfortunately, I'm also seeing that the MC200 downsamples 192k to 96k. I first discovered this when I hooked the MC200 up to my new Bryston BDA-2 DAC, but then researched to find that this is indeed the default functionality.

So my question to this esteemed panel is this: Is there any way to either force or upgrade the MC200 to output high resolution files above 96k natively? I could find no firmware on the internet, so my fear is that I would never be able to stream native digital files to a DAC from this unit. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for helping me figure this out. The MC200 is on top of my current music server lists, but this missing capability would certainly go into the "con" column when I evaluate my options for music servers. I am looking for a dedicated server such as Sooloos, Aurender, etc, and not looking to build a pc or Mac-based system.

Steve
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 05-31-2014, 04:19 PM

No
Meridian/Sooloos only samples up to 96k.....
Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 PM

You can save 24/192 files in their native format to the MC200 but as you note it will downsample to 96 for playback. Rumors have been floating for some time now that a update will be offered to allow 192 playback but don't hold your breath. They have been upgrading their DAC's in the ID41 cards and their speakers to handle 192. The Meridian gurus are on record stating that 96 is all we need but the that is not what the consumer wants.

I will say whenever I play a 192 recording I never feel like I am missing anything. The Meridian is the only unit that I have auditioned or heard in someones home that has never ever hung up when switching from 44, 96, 192, and iTunes. It does so automatically with no intervention.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM

Owning a 818v2, I really hope Meridian gets with it and opens the gates on sampling at least to 192. DSD would be more appropriate at this price level. The Sooloos GUI was the best but with the Control 10/15, Control Mac/PC, and MAC Apps all being different it now leaves a lot to be desired. Updates are few and far between, no major refresh since inception, and very little info/communication from Meridian regarding Sooloos.
If you hear a 192 recording at 192 and then hear it played at 96 with the Meridian server system there are significant differences in favor of 192
If I was starting out again, I'd look elsewhere for a server system unless you plan on a full fledged source to speaker Meridian system
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks g997. This 192 thing does bother me somewhat given the other options out there today. I will never have a full source to speaker Meridian system (nothing against Meridian, just not my direction).

The Aurender X100L is under consideration, as is the remote chance that I'd build a Mac-based server.

The one wild card for me is that I have the option of keeping the MC200 I've been auditioning and it is about 3/4 full of music already with enough room left to add all my CD's and high rez files. The pre-loaded, well over 1,000 albums is an extra that can't be overlooked for consideration. And I'd say over 80% of that music is something that I would listen to.

The best situation would be for Meridian to have an upgrade path to allow 24/192 out of the digital output.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
Owning a 818v2, I really hope Meridian gets with it and opens the gates on sampling at least to 192. DSD would be more appropriate at this price level. The Sooloos GUI was the best but with the Control 10/15, Control Mac/PC, and MAC Apps all being different it now leaves a lot to be desired. Updates are few and far between, no major refresh since inception, and very little info/communication from Meridian regarding Sooloos.
If you hear a 192 recording at 192 and then hear it played at 96 with the Meridian server system there are significant differences in favor of 192
If I was starting out again, I'd look elsewhere for a server system unless you plan on a full fledged source to speaker Meridian system
I had 192 capability before the Meridian and when I was considering the 808v3 I compared it directly to the D02-D03 and MSB in my set-up. The overall sound of the ID40 card was better in my opinion.

As you note the software is due for a update. I have not use for the too large C15 and other than for importing and some meta data editing don't use Control Mac too often. The Ipad interface works just fine for me.

So far the only unit that might induce me to swap out the Meridian the DCS and I am having a hard time swallowing their pricing.