AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Jerry... A bit off topic, but how about sharing some pics of your "little man" he sure is cute!
Thats the only one I have Ivan. He's cute isn't it. every time when I am down for whatever the reason, just looking at the way he looks and smile, lightens up my heart! He's adorable!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 AM

OK, Crion, this is for you (and those who like to share my experience with the new ID41 and other mods on the 808.3 to 808.5).

Before I begin, today started out as a HOPEFUL day - to see the complete transformation of my 808.3 to a full fledge 808v5. Well, it ended in total disappointment as the parts sent (the bottom buttons and slider cover with the "808" nomenclature is such a chore that my local distributer do not know how to change it. In the end, he's going to ask for a FULL Front Panel replacement instead. Oh well, another 4 weeks of wait perhaps?

Meanwhile, here's what the mod 808v5 sound like: ANALOGUE, VERY ANALOGUE.

Clarity and focus are sharper and the overall presentation is so smooth, one can swear (at least me, myself) that I am listening to vinyl ... sans the periodic "cackle and pops" as i am still playing used records.

Switched over to the Sooloos, now I can fully understand why Meridian is indeed up there with the best, if not, I can safely add THE BEST! The presentation is so enchanting, I could sit thru 5 full albums without feeling that I am overwhelmed nor listening to hifi. All I could feel is nice music, the vocals, the strings, the guitars and the bass .... everything now seemed so much better - and RIGHT! I can keep going on and on about how great it is, but the best is to go and have a listen for yourself to be believed. And this is NOT even thru the DSP8k 40th Anniversary speakers BUT standard DSP8k's.

I am now at the stage where I dont know if I could find anything better without coughing out a big bundle of money. And I dont know for sure if I could REALLY find the combo to better it (yes, flame me ... but thats how good it is).

Different presentation, yes, but better than the Meridian combo, hell no!

So here I am, happy and contended for the moment. The next big thing? Well, the mod for the DSP8k to the next level which I was told is forthcoming. The itch for the 40th Anniversary combo is now so strong, I wonder if I can stave off the desire.

In short, my system had gone up another level of performance. For $5k, this is about the BEST upgrade ever!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the update Jerry. I am still toying with the v5 update and will probably make the decision after I complete my audition of the MSB Analog DAC.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the update Jerry. This is echos my experience with the 861v8 upgrade as well. It really sounds fantastic easily up there with the best.

Jim, the analog dac is a good DAC but it is firmly below the MSB stack's performance and with the 808.5/861v8 the DAC vs no DAC question is easy when you compare the more expensive outlay for the real contenders DAC's IMHO.

Also your Sooloos server will get the 24/192 upgrade before years end and then you can immediately benefit in an analog system with 808.5/861v8.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM

I have to agree with the improvement after the upgrade of my 808.3 to .5. Really outstanding, and i'm an analog guy, really into vinyl playback.
Crion, what is the sooloos info on 24/192 that is coming?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM

The rumormill said spring 2013 or at the "sooloos yearly update" for 24/192 native playback on ID41. But this was some time ago and I've not heard any updated info since.

My speculation is before years end. It may or may not coincide with the updated DSP8000 because I suspect that with the new DSP boards being rolled out in DSP7200.2 they "should" be 24/192 SL input capable and they may want to bang on the big 24/192 drum when they release it. It's pure speculation though on my part!

But what I can say is that the 808.5 and 861v8 are terrific sounding. You may say "analog" sounding, I say realistic sounding without digital grunge.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
But what I can say is that the 808.5 and 861v8 are terrific sounding. You may say "analog" sounding, I say realistic sounding without digital grunge.
Indeed and for once, I cant stop listening to the system. Every rip music is a gem to me now, just MUSIC!

Never had I experience listening music so good, no grudge, no nit picking, just listen and enjoy!

For sure, I am looking forward for the DSP8k upgrade!

Meanwhile, I dont see any reason to not liking what I hear every time!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM

My question regarding the forthcoming DSP8000 upgrade is,will those with the legacy 8000's have the possibilty of getting new rear electronics that could convert from the old style comms and spdif to SL? Now that would be outstanding.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 AM

I think this rings true with Bob's philosophy about owning Meridian DSP8000 should be like owning a great musical instrument like a Grand Piano for 20 years or more.

We will see..
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 AM

I came home from China for a week and while I was gone, I had my 808V3 upgraded to 808V5 and my 861V6 upgraded to V8. I put a CD in the upgraded 808V5 and instantly could tell the difference. I believe the word above is correct ANALOGUE, no digital hardness. Instruments sound very accurate, smooth with greater separation and a wider soundstage. I get my 861V8 configured with MRC this Wednesday. can't wait to hear it for movies.

This isn't an inexpesive upgrade, but in my book it's like a new system... It's that good.

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.