AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Life is beautiful

Default Advice needed on a surround processor

Dear friends,

Time to upgrade my surround equipment.

I listen a lot to surround recordings (SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-A).

My surround system now:
Pioneer LX-81
Burmester 082 (integrated amp).
Vivid Audio G2Giya, C1 & V1w.

Coming soon: Burmester 037 (3 channel amp).

Visually:
Burmester 082

Burmester 037

I've examined the market and I see 3 classes of processors:

1. 'Entry level': Marantz AV8801, Yamaha, Integra DTR-80.3, Onkyo
2. Middle class: Cary, Primare, Krell Foundation
2. High End: Bryston, Krell S-1200, Anthem, Classé

I omit McIntosh because I stay with Burmester for amplification, and visually these 2 brands don't go together very well.
The Krell 707 is out of my league.

Plan: a good processor that will feed the Burmester 082 for the L & R channel, and the 037 for the center and surrounds.
If I once find a 909 second hand, and they are offered here in Europe sometimes at reasonable prices, it might replace the 082 for stereo duty and L & R channel amplification.
So if the stereo quality of this surround preamp is good enough, it might allow me to move the 082 out of the system and sell it.

So gentlemen, and ladies, please give me your thoughts, insight, and good advice please.
I trust you more than my dealer.
He sells Bryston, but tells me an Integra will do the job perfectly, but he's a real stereo guy and probably doesn't realize I take surround sound seriously.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-06-2014, 04:40 PM

I can only comment on one of the brands on your list, which is the Integra. I owned a DHC-40.1 and it was NOT musical at all. It truly is "entry level" and my advice would be to pass it by.

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:06 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I have not heard it personally, but based on reviews I would go with a Bryston SP3, especially for its abilities in music surround sound.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Life is beautiful

Michael, Randy, thank you gentlemen for your effort!

The Bryston indeed is a serious candidate.

I was hoping for a long time for the next generation of Burmester processors but after presenting the 107 in 2011, it disappeared from the catalogue...
Anyway, it would have been too expensive for me.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM

What about Primare? You can get the silver one.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM
The Architect

I've decided that I have a hard time shelling out mega $$ for surround sound processors when the technology keeps on changing so fast - HDMI 2.0, 4k resolution, Dolby Atmos, etc. Much of this won't matter for a while, but I grew tired of switching out expensive McIntosh preamp/processors every 3-4 years and taking a gigantic loss selling the old one, so a more inexpensive receiver/processor and a quality two-channel preamp with HT bypass is what I decided on. If you feel like your system will be set for a while, I would go with the unit with the best analog stage, and the Bryston would probably fit the bill for that. If you don't want to invest a lot now, and want to see where some of this newer technology lands, I would go with the Marantz 8801. Also remember that CES is six months away so it might be worth seeing what new models come out of there if you can wait a bit longer. Hope that helps...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 07-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Keep in mind that the Integra you have listed here is the DTR-80.3, which is a receiver. The processor is the DHC-80.3. That said, these processors (and the Onkyo variants) suffer from HDMI board issues. At some point of ownership, you'll have to send it in for repair. I just had mine replaced, luckily within the 3-year warranty period so it'll be worth getting the Integra over the Onkyo for the warranty alone. Integra has recently announced its replacement, the DHC-80.6, so it'll be interesting to see if they've solved the problem.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 07-06-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I've decided that I have a hard time shelling out mega $$ for surround sound processors when the technology keeps on changing so fast - HDMI 2.0, 4k resolution, Dolby Atmos, etc. Much of this won't matter for a while, but I grew tired of switching out expensive McIntosh preamp/processors every 3-4 years and taking a gigantic loss selling the old one, so a more inexpensive receiver/processor and a quality two-channel preamp with HT bypass is what I decided on. If you feel like your system will be set for a while, I would go with the unit with the best analog stage, and the Bryston would probably fit the bill for that. If you don't want to invest a lot now, and want to see where some of this newer technology lands, I would go with the Marantz 8801. Also remember that CES is six months away so it might be worth seeing what new models come out of there if you can wait a bit longer. Hope that helps...
This is very true and reflects my same feelings. I won't go all out any more on the digital stuff as it becomes obsolete so fast.
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I've decided that I have a hard time shelling out mega $$ for surround sound processors when the technology keeps on changing so fast
I agree. I have the DHC 80.3, and I'm okay with it for the theater room since I know I will be upgrading it soon. I don't use the theater room for two channel listening.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Life is beautiful

Gents, thank you!