AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM

Newbe sat in a MY13 911 4S today. I like how it felt. I need to buy another car this year & a 4S is now on my short list. I don't really have any intimate experience with Porsche & would appreciate some owners feedback here including what to look out for when buying ex demo or used with low mileage.

Timing is around 6-9 months time which coincides with new MY manufacture? Probably will get into an ex dealer vehicle with around 10,000kms which makes sense to me here in Australia. A MY2011 911 4S will likely fit the bill.

Noticed some obvious cosmetic changes between a MY10 & MY13 at the dealership. Love the new cockpit changes. When did the refresh happen from 2010? What other improvements?

Last edited by MyPal; 02-12-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 AM

The new model is the 991 which I think was released in 2011? The 991 variant of the 911 range is a completely different design from the last one. It includes a bit more legroom in the rear and also introduced the 7 speed manual box.

The previous one was the 997v2. V2 included LED tail lights which the v1 did not. That's one of the more obvious changes.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM

The 991 version of the 911 came out in 2012, only in the Carrera 2 & 2S versions, the 4 & 4s versions are just showing up in the past 3 or 4 months as 2013 models. The increase in wheelbase also increased legroom up front...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
The 991 version of the 911 came out in 2012, only in the Carrera 2 & 2S versions, the 4 & 4s versions are just showing up in the past 3 or 4 months as 2013 models. The increase in wheelbase also increased legroom up front...
Aaaha.... Thanks. So what I sat in was brand spanking. This explains the big depn hit on the 997v2s & why they are now such a good buy ATM. I was hoping that the the 991 was around longer but evidently these will be holding stronger pricing.

991 has an awesome cockpit. In comparison making the 997s look dated. Maybe I should hold out longer & wait another MY to get into the new trick?

Last edited by MyPal; 02-12-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Newbe sat in a MY13 911 4S today. I like how it felt. I need to buy another car this year & a 4S is now on my short list. I don't really have any intimate experience with Porsche & would appreciate some owners feedback here including what to look out for when buying ex demo or used with low mileage.
A few good answers about the 997 vs 991 already, but in terms of buying a used 991, at this point that will be pretty rare. My dealer had a customer trade in a custom ordered 991 with only 75 miles on it, which was amazing. If you're looking at 997.2s, you can probably find a used one with low miles with some effort. You will get the remaining factory warranty and if it's CPOed, I believe that's 4 more years in addition to the factory. Some people swear by DME scans from the dealer (do a quick Google for info), but a low mileage car shouldn't be an issue.

There are a lot of subjective differences between the 997 and 991, it's really best to try both out and see which you prefer and if the cost differential is a factor or not. One thing that isn't subjective is that the cockpits on the 991s look much better than the 997s I prefer the exterior of the 997, but do wish the reflector strip on my 4S lit up like it does on the 991.

Both are great cars, half the fun of getting a new car is the leg work to find out what you want.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
A few good answers about the 997 vs 991 already, but in terms of buying a used 991, at this point that will be pretty rare. My dealer had a customer trade in a custom ordered 991 with only 75 miles on it, which was amazing. If you're looking at 997.2s, you can probably find a used one with low miles with some effort. You will get the remaining factory warranty and if it's CPOed, I believe that's 4 more years in addition to the factory. Some people swear by DME scans from the dealer (do a quick Google for info), but a low mileage car shouldn't be an issue.

There are a lot of subjective differences between the 997 and 991, it's really best to try both out and see which you prefer and if the cost differential is a factor or not. One thing that isn't subjective is that the cockpits on the 991s look much better than the 997s I prefer the exterior of the 997, but do wish the reflector strip on my 4S lit up like it does on the 991.

Both are great cars, half the fun of getting a new car is the leg work to find out what you want.
Thanks Maks. I will definitely be getting a vehicle with PDK which of course prevents thrashing. In that case would requesting a DME scan be less critical, & what other useful info could it show up?