AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-27-2020, 03:45 PM

Love the detailed [read "very helpful how-to"] photos, Serge. And a great look with the grey cover plate.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:48 PM

Also revisiting this thread with regard to the weight of the outlets I have on hand, just for the heck of it.

Pictured is a Furutech GTX-D NCF(R), Shunyata SR-Z1 and a lowly Leviton. Last picture is the Shunyata CopperCONN as a reference. Off course all are 20A rated.

The SR-Z1 is the heavy weight champion at 112g, next is the GTX-D NCF(R) at 108g, then the CopperCONN at 94g and finally the Leviton at 60g. Surprising that the SR-Z1 is about twice as heavy as the standard Leviton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9512.jpg (88.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9511.jpg (89.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9510.jpg (88.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9509.jpg (89.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9054.jpg (91.6 KB, 156 views)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Love the detailed [read "very helpful how-to"] photos, Serge. And a great look with the grey cover plate.
Thanks Jim. Hope this will be some help to others.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
I have been playing with CopperConn outlets too. I like them.
I would argue that there is a continuum going from

Furutech GTX Gold plated to Furutech GTX Rhodium plated (NCF) with CopperConn in the middle. I find Rhodium to be: Positive-transparent, detailed vs Negative:too sharp, brittle. Gold-plated is warmer, musical, bloomy on the bottom, less detailed. CopperConn is sort of between the Rhodim-Gold Poles. No matter what people say ("neutral, neutral, neutral") I think we all find a desire to tweak our systems towards one or the other direction depending on where it is or what recordings we like. Having jumped between Rhodium and Gold at times, the middle can be welcome too. YMMV.
Thanks for your input. I had the plan to install the Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) to compare to the CopperCONN but after reading your post I decided to leave it as it is. You pretty much answered the questions I had. And frankly, I am so satisfied with the CopperCONN that I don't want to touch anything..
Old 10-15-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
It's installed!

I had some extra time this morning so I jumped on this golden opportunity to install the first CopperCONN outlet. As I have previously said in my initial post, I installed only the one feeding my amplifier and source as I am just replacing the SR-Z1 for now to isolate the audio benefits of the CopperCONN, and in order to have a proper basis for comparison.

So I started to remove the SR-71 which you can see side by side with the CopperCONN for comparison. I took the extra time to cut the end of each wire and also the ground, which I also cleaned with some sandpaper (there was some leftover paint on it). I realized that I had installed the SR-Z1 wrong by wrapping the wires around the screws like you do with the standard outlets. So by cutting and stripping the wires with the proper clearance (which is shown at the back of the CopperCONN, approx. 1/2"), I inserted the wires the proper way by the back of the outlet. One thing of notice, unlike the SR-Z1 which is compatible with Robertson heads, the screws on the CopperCONN was Philipps only. No big deal but for us in Canada we use Robertson heads screws for about anything. Speaking about screws, I think it would have been nice to have two screws included to secure the outlet to the electrical box. I had to salvage the ones I was using for the previous oultet. Anyway, no big deal but some competitors offer this. Once installed, I turned on the breaker back up and (fortunately) there was no *POOF* so all was good .

I won't do any justice to this magnificent product since I am on the first hours of listening but what I can say right off the bat is that it is significantly better than the SR-Z1. If I relate to price alone, I think the CopperCONN is justifically priced in reference to its performance compared to the SR-Z1. The SR-Z1 is 100$ while the CopperCONN is 295$ and I think it matches equally the performance gap between both. Quite an assertion it does sound like it.

I will post the comments of user Mobiusman about the CopperCONN over What's Best Forum, which I find to match what I can hear so far:

"...much deeper bass with more authority, better percusion and much more realistic and musical sounds throughout. The imaging is already much deeper front and back..."

Please remember that I only changed one outlet. I know that if I had changed both outlets at the same time, the results would have been even more impressive. But for the sake of analysis I chose to change only one. Anyway, to install the second one, I will have to install another electrical box 32 inches away as the other one is too far (and since two is not enough).

So for me, I think I found the holy grail in audiograde outlets. It turns out just to be everything I was hoping for. And this is not even broken in. It has all the quality I like about the cruzeFIRST Maestro I had last year and expand above and beyond. The Maestro is an excellent outlet but it was lacking that tiny bit of bass slam that I like. But to be fair, at 89$ the Maestro is a steal for what it does.

I will report back again later but for now I will just listen even more. Kudos to Caelin for such an amazing outlet.
Nice write up. I'll need to grab one. BTW in the hospitals we install outlets upside down so the straight ground pin can prevent connection loosening. Much better physical connection. Not sure with all these heavy cables why power conditioners etc, are not designed like this.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
Nice write up. I'll need to grab one. BTW in the hospitals we install outlets upside down so the straight ground pin can prevent connection loosening. Much better physical connection. Not sure with all these heavy cables why power conditioners etc, are not designed like this.
I orient all of the outlets with dedicated circuits in my listening rooms in this manner.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 10-15-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
My house was built in 1983 and in those years the ground pin on electrical outlets was oriented 270º. But now in today's code it's like you describe.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:46 AM

So,after reading the posts,I would appreciate an opinion/guidance.
I am happy with my system which is composed of Avant-garde duos, a lampi dac and a set amp.
To me it is a dynamic, live sound but always looking for more, I want to replace my main outlet.
My present one is an old Synergistic teslaplex
I am between a fully burned in GTX-R NCF with base and cover plate and the CopperCONN
I am concerned that the GTX might open up the HF too much and lead to fatigue
Since neither are returnable, opinion on which to start with?
FWIW I know both system and ear dependent
Thx
Joel
Old 01-17-2021, 08:03 PM

If you are using Shunyata power products then the CopperCONN would be the best choice as far as synergy. I would avoid rhodium with Shunyata, but if you are using another brand of power cords with rhodium connectors then the GTX-R might be a better choice. I think it’s best to avoid metal to metal contact of dissimilar metals.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 01-17-2021, 08:12 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

joelberger1... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES