AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-02-2022, 07:04 AM

Unfortunately, this stock market isn't looking too healthy at the moment, and both my wife & I are fully retired, so my audio "budget" has gone to poop.
I have traded my Conrad Johnson Amp and Pre-Amp for newer and better models, added the Lampi Baltic 3, Shunyata Denali, Sigma USB & Sigma Ethernet cables, the Ethergen unit you had also suggested and traded my VPI Classic 2 for a VPI Prime Signature 21 TT, traded Straightwire speaker and interconnects for Transparent, a couple Stillpoint additions, and waiting on the Aurender N200.
So it has been a lot to handle.
I am looking at a Delta PC and later hope to upgrade to the Alpha or better.
Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Famester V1; 05-02-2022 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added item
Old 05-03-2022, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famester V1 View Post

I am running the Denali off a PS Audio Statement power cord, waiting on a Shunyata PC, likely the Venom or Delta for now to try and see if that makes any difference.
FWIW, after I got my Denali 6000 V2 from Ivan (which replaced a PS Audio P10) I took the plunge and ordered a Sigma XC which replaced an Alpha NR v1 I had been using as the distributor lead from the wall. It was an improvement dynamically.

Unfortunately, I had to use an adapter with the Alpha V1 - it was a C15 version which worked for my P10, but not for the Denali's C19 input. That may have been a contributing factor to the improvement I heard.

If you're trying to keep the cost reasonable, it's worth mentioning that Shunyata sells the Venom V10 XC in C19 form for around $500. The website indicates it's a 10 awg cable with fluorocarbon dielectrics.

Last edited by ChrisMag; 05-03-2022 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yup. Sounds about right.

If it's in your budget, I'd recommend getting an Alpha XC or better power cord for your Denali V2. It will allow the QR/BB device in it to perform to it's full potential. In other words...you haven't heard anything yet.
I have an Alpha XC connected to the Denali V2. The QR/BB is the same as in the Everest? The Shunyata site doesn’t call them the same thing? And both require a chassis ground cable from the component(s) to the Denali/Everest, correct?
Old 07-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztrope View Post
I have an Alpha XC connected to the Denali V2. The QR/BB is the same as in the Everest? The Shunyata site doesn’t call them the same thing? And both require a chassis ground cable from the component(s) to the Denali/Everest, correct?
The QR/BB device in Everest is (IIRC) 3X larger than Denali.

Connecting a chassis ground cable from your components to the GP-NR terminal is not required, but connecting one, ideally to an external ground terminal on the component chassis, to one of the GP-NR ground posts of a Shunyata power distributor (its on all models save the PS10) will notably reduce ground-plane noise.

Reason I mentioned using the ground cable and connecting to the GP-NR terminal, is that it's another significant feature that helps to reduce ground-plane noise but often times, customers never bother to use it. And...they should.

Here's a pic showing the four ground terminals on the back of Everest. You can bet, knowing how thorough Caelin of Shunyata is...they're there for a reason. My advice is...use them. Your system will sound better.

Here a chassis ground terminal next to the RJ45 port is shown on a Lumin U1, for example (note it's labeled "Earth Ground")

Many of the other Asian audio companies are very good about installing a dedicated chassis/earth ground terminal, but American companies...er, um, not so much.

However, John Swenson, good engineer that he is, even put one on EtherREGEN. And...it makes a notable improvement when you connect a ground cable from it to a Shunyata GP-NR system. John's an excellent engineer, and understands the benefit of doing this.

Here's mine, connected with a Shunyata Venom CGC (chassis ground cable).

Even connecting this cable ground cable from ER to the GP-NR post on my Everest provided a notable improvement.

If a dedicated chassis ground terminal is not available, and there is a chassis fastener, e.g. a bolt or screw, that connects to chassis ground (aka "earth") you can connect to that chassis screw or fastener with a ground cable with a spade on the end, and a spade or banana on the end that connects to the GP-NR ground post of the power distributor.

In this application, for safety reasons, you must check connection to chassis ground using the ohm meter function of a multimeter. The best way to do this is to put one probe of an ohm meter on to the chassis fastener you may want to use, and the other probe on to the ground pin of the IEC receptacle on the component (where the power cord is plugged in). If the ohm meter reads zero or very close to zero, this indicates this chassis fastener connects to chassis ground.

You can order ground cables from Shunyata in range of models and lengths. Just talk to MasterLu, he'll set you up.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-16-2022 at 02:40 PM.