AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 02-01-2018, 04:45 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Default ART 150... New and amazing

The crew at c-j has outdone themselves this time. As a long time fan of their products I'm just stunned at the leap forward they have made with the new ART amplifier products. Their big tube amplifiers have always been excellent but the changes this time have added most of what people buy big solid state amplifiers... and at the same time enhancing the beautiful depth and timber of c-j's legendary mid range reproduction. New output transformers have sharpened the clarity of the treble range while enhanced power supply capacity has deepened and increased the punch of the lows. What stunned me the most though is the exciting increase in gravity of musical transients at all frequencies... I guess again due to all that additional power supply capacity.
Even after running their legendary Premier 350 solid state and LP140M mono blocks I had no idea my Wilson's could sound this good. Positive Feedback's online magazine has an excellent review of the new ART monos and a great interview with the designers Jeff, Lew and Bill in the latest issue by Myles Astor. A good read. Anyone shopping for a big tube amplifier will want to here these new ART models. Very pleased with this purchase... and my new avatar.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 02-01-2018, 05:25 PM

Sexy!!!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Lots of luck with the amp and happy listening.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Beautiful Coppy.

I am envious!!

Are you going to get the GAT upgraded to S2?

If I could afford, I would get the ART300's to replace my wonderful teflon prem 8A's
Old 02-04-2018, 09:04 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Thanks Joe and Turntable. The Premier 8A's are, of course, classically great c-j amplifiers. I'll probably send the GAT in for the upgrade but need to save a spot in the budget for it. Also, what do I do while it's away? Sonos in the TV room just doesn't get it for good music.

Decided on the stereo ART 150 in part due to the summer heat here in Florida making four more KT 150s a bit less attractive. (and of course the cost difference). Now running half the tubes vs. the LP140Ms. The Amp continues to improve with time. More attractive balance in the sound.

Don't know why but the gain comes on a bit differently with this amplifier vs. the LP's on the P350. The ART150 is somehow a better match for the GAT Pre. It was hard to turn the previous amplifiers down enough. Even at "1" on the GAT volume control, there was still a good bit of sound. This amplifier is much quieter at the low and lower mid settings but when turned up it's scary loud. Another nice change.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer

Last edited by Coppy; 02-04-2018 at 10:42 AM.